What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3 (2 Viewers)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Lou Sytsma said:
Yes those scenes were fun to watch but it is hard to swallow that the slavers are dumb enough to leave themselves vulnerable to the very thing Dani did to them though.

Some sort of fail safe ie - an over riding key phrase - should have been in place or the slavers should possess the smarts not to make deals without keeping enough slaves to defend themselves.
The Unsullied have never been sold on that scale before. 100s or 1000s are the norm (and before that, 10s), so I guess it's never really been a threat. Also, it just goes to show the absolute arrogance the leaders of the Free Cities have toward Dany (and toward Westerosi in general) :)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Lou Sytsma said:
Yes those scenes were fun to watch but it is hard to swallow that the slavers are dumb enough to leave themselves vulnerable to the very thing Dani did to them though.

Some sort of fail safe ie - an over riding key phrase - should have been in place or the slavers should possess the smarts not to make deals without keeping enough slaves to defend themselves.
I can buy it for two reasons:

1) The slave culture of the city and surrounding cities is slave based. Much like pre-civil war America. The slaves outnumber the free peoples, and there is no 'hedging' against that. You are playing with fire as far as rebellion is concerned. As far as selling slaves to another owner - other slave owners who have lived and traded in a slave culture for generations couldn't imagine a scenario where you freed the slaves and attacked the free peoples. Something like that is unthinkable and carries severe long term problems...as Dany is going to soon discover.

2) The greed to own a dragon of all things in the world overcame any potential thoughts of securing enough numbers to protect themselves.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Quentin said:
2) The greed to own a dragon of all things in the world overcame any potential thoughts of securing enough numbers to protect themselves.
Yes, the lust the slavers had for dragon ownership is spelled out even more strongly in the book. When people strongly lust for something, they often don't think clearly.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I thought the final scenes with Dany were among the best of the series.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Really enjoyed the series so far. The only weak part for me is the storyline with Jon Snow which seems to have stagnated a little again.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Lou Sytsma said:
I didn't buy it - still don't - but do agree the scenes as filmed kicked ass.
There's a bit more expansion in the books, but in addition to buying all of the slaves and leaving the masters no force with which to defend themselves, the masters left themselves open in another way. A big part of the selling point of the Unsullied is that unlike sell swords, the Unsullied are trained to obey to the point where they have no other existence and no regard for their own self preservation. It is why the slave master could cut the nipple off a slave without the slave acknowledging the pain. Another example was last night with the naming of the Unsullied. They have no existence and refer to themselves as "this one" or "that one" more readily than even by their slave names. I'll spoilerize this as it came from the book, but it's just an expansion on this point and has no unrevealed plot or even a difference from the show:

In the book, it took a lot more work for Dany to convince the Unsullied to be free and follow her out of loyalty rather than merely obeying her as their new master. The entire concept was foreign to them as they were completely enwrapped in their slave identities. She wrestled with them for quite awhile in getting them to accept names, roles and express themselves. They covered all of that quickly and a bit subtly last night, but it was there.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
How awesome was it watching Terrance Stamp stare down Tyrion and Cersei? Has to make Tyrion feel a little better to know he's not the only one his father treats like shit.

This episode was full of great character moments: Arya's hatred, Robb's stubbornness (ah, just like his dad), Jaime's humility and sadness, and Dany's humanity. All given to us in well done scenes.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
That would be Charles Dance - who just owns the role. Loved the intricate detail of his costume in the final scene last night. Just another way the production design for this show shines.

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Walter Kittel said:
That would be Charles Dance - who just owns the role. Loved the intricate detail of his costume in the final scene last night. Just another way the production design for this show shines.
Right. Dance is a commanding presence on the show. Every scene he's in is captivating. Episode 5 (can't believe we are halfway through season 3) was great; so much going on, and the surprises that are thrown at the audience make sense; they aren't there for shock value.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This episode was almost entirely talking scenes -- and it was absolutely riveting. A tremendous cast from beginning to end.
Quentin said:
Has to make Tyrion feel a little better to know he's not the only one his father treats like shit.
There have been a number of scenes in the show where Tyrion and Cersei see themselves reflected in the other, even moments approaching bonding, and then one or the other can't help but be vicious.
This episode was full of great character moments: Arya's hatred
Maisie Williams was terrific tonight. They did a great job of showcasing how her hatred might consume her such that there's nothing left. All that she knows of the Hound is what he did to her little friend. As audience members, we're privy to everything that's happened since -- including the kindnesses that he has shown her sister. The danger with Arya is that while her innocence has been ripped away, she still views the world in very black-and-white terms.
Robb's stubbornness (ah, just like his dad)
Ned was stubbornly noble. I'm beginning to feel that Robb is just stupidly arrogant. Sticking to your guns when you know it will cost you half your army and put the other half in danger isn't just stupid, it's callous. And then, because that error isn't enough, let's march right up to the crazy guy he stabbed in the back not too long ago and demand an army from him. I'm sure that's going to end well. :rolleyes:

Ned's nobility resulted in vast, destructive consequences, but it came from a place of selflessness. Robb isn't selfless, and he isn't particularly noble. Marrying Talisa Maegyr broke a pact that his effort depended on. Using Jaime Lannister as a bargaining chip to free his sisters instead of letting his men execute him on the spot, those were the actions of a good older brother, and not the actions of a strong and worthy king.

I can't root for victory of that sort of man, a man who is not vicious or cruel but lacks the conviction of his cause to put it above all else. At best, his army crumbles beneath him. At worst, he reneges on the wrong deal and loses his head. Either way, it's already lost and his failings are the reason why.

And it's hard to believe the scenario that positioned Sansa Stark as the heir apparent to Winterfell, with Robb off getting himself pointed toward an array of bloody ends, Bran and Rickon seemly burned to death by the wayward Theon, Sansa's next in line.

I absolutely loved the introduction of Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon. The plotting has gotten so opressive that it was a breath of fresh air to have kid with a childhood preserved enter the scene. Sings like an angel, looks like a monster, and her biggest scheme is literacy. A breath of fresh air for the show.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Adam Lenhardt said:
This episode was almost entirely talking scenes -- and it was absolutely riveting. A tremendous cast from beginning to end.
There have been a number of scenes in the show where Tyrion and Cersei see themselves reflected in the other, even moments approaching bonding, and then one or the other can't help but be vicious.
Maisie Williams was terrific tonight. They did a great job of showcasing how her hatred might consume her such that there's nothing left. All that she knows of the Hound is what he did to her little friend. As audience members, we're privy to everything that's happened since -- including the kindnesses that he has shown her sister. The danger with Arya is that while her innocence has been ripped away, she still views the world in very black-and-white terms.
Ned was stubbornly noble. I'm beginning to feel that Robb is just stupidly arrogant. Sticking to your guns when you know it will cost you half your army and put the other half in danger isn't just stupid, it's callous. And then, because that error isn't enough, let's march right up to the crazy guy he stabbed in the back not too long ago and demand an army from him. I'm sure that's going to end well. :rolleyes:

Ned's nobility resulted in vast, destructive consequences, but it came from a place of selflessness. Robb isn't selfless, and he isn't particularly noble. Marrying Talisa Maegyr broke a pact that his effort depended on. Using Jaime Lannister as a bargaining chip to free his sisters instead of letting his men execute him on the spot, those were the actions of a good older brother, and not the actions of a strong and worthy king.

I can't root for victory of that sort of man, a man who is not vicious or cruel but lacks the conviction of his cause to put it above all else. At best, his army crumbles beneath him. At worst, he reneges on the wrong deal and loses his head. Either way, it's already lost and his failings are the reason why.

And it's hard to believe the scenario that positioned Sansa Stark as the heir apparent to Winterfell, with Robb off getting himself pointed toward an array of bloody ends, Bran and Rickon seemly burned to death by the wayward Theon, Sansa's next in line.

I absolutely loved the introduction of Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon. The plotting has gotten so opressive that it was a breath of fresh air to have kid with a childhood preserved enter the scene. Sings like an angel, looks like a monster, and her biggest scheme is literacy. A breath of fresh air for the show.
Adam, without broaching the subject because you are teetering so close to it.. I'm taking it you have NOT read the books?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Adam, without broaching the subject because you are teetering so close to it.. I'm taking it you have NOT read the books?
I'm a non-reader. I always read the books first, and then I'm always disappointed by the movies. For this series, I decided to watch the TV show first and then read the books once the show is over. That way, what I'm picturing in my head won't get in the way of what I'm seeing on the screen. There's just a strong feeling of inevitability to a lot of the story lines at this point. A forboding sense that "this won't end well."

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hi Charlie. I've read the first 3 books and even the book version has its issues. Dany's rise to power has to be taken with a grain of salt in both the book and TV versions. The grain is much bigger for the TV version.

Also reading the book to understand a moment in the TV show should not be required and having to reference the book to clarify an event of the series indicates a deficiency in the TV show.

In regards to last Sunday's episode that was without doubt the most perfect episode of GOT yet. Every scene was riveting. Even the ones with Rob Stark. And Tywin is a real piece of work. It was so delicious watching Cersei's obvious pleasure at Tyrion's predicament only to find herself in the same boat.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Joffrey gets more sinister all the time. What was it Tywin said about whores found in royal beds? Looks like he's given his grandson something to do.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I see where the season finale is going, and I suspect it will be a landmark episode. To a reader of the books, I think it's obvious, but to the non-readers, it should be a spectacular surprise.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Dave Upton said:
I see where the season finale is going, and I suspect it will be a landmark episode. To a reader of the books, I think it's obvious, but to the non-readers, it should be a spectacular surprise.
Based on the episode titles, I think the finale will not be what you (and I) are thinking, rather that will be the subject of the penultimate episode.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial said:
Based on the episode titles, I think the finale will not be what you (and I) are thinking, rather that will be the subject of the penultimate episode.
I just took a look at the episode titles, and I think you're right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks