What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I haven't read either spoiler there.
I guess I'll have to bookmark the page and come back to them in a couple of years...

BTW I was thinking in terms of the fourth and fifth books, in that I understand them to each focus on different areas of the story. I was told that Book 4 doesn't have Dany's story, and I think Book 5 doesn't have Jon Snow's story, or something like that. If that's the case, then I expect that the following seasons of the show will combine elements of both books 4 and 5 within the same episodes.

I'm thinking:

2011 Season 1 - Game of Thrones
2012 Season 2 - Clash of Kings
2013 Season 3 - Storm of Swords (first half)
2014 Season 4 - Storm of Swords (second half), Maybe a little of Feast for Crows and Dance With Dragons by episode 10
2015 Season 5 - Feast for Crows/Dance With Dragons (first halves of each book, intermixed)
2016 Season 6 - Feast for Crows/Dance With Dragons (second halves of each book, intermixed), Maybe a little of Winds of Winter
2017 Season 7 - Winds of Winter (may have to be two seasons if it really is 1500 pages...)
2018 Season 8 - Winds of Winter (rest of the book) or Dream of Spring?
2019 Season 9 - Dream of Spring (can it be done in a single season?)

Under this thinking, you could see Winds of Winter being published in 2015, which would be 4 years after Dance With Dragons, and you could see Dream of Spring being published in 2019, which would be 4 years after Book 6.... That's a lot faster than he's been going, but not unreasonably so. I know the producers have talked about wrapping up the series in 7 or 8 seasons, but they haven't seen the 6th Book yet. They have a broad outline from Martin, who acknowledged on Conan that he has broad strokes of the ending but nothing specifically written out yet. He knows where he's going, but you know what's going to happen as he actually gets down to the writing of the chapters...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Anybody have a good link or maybe a quick summary of this show?

I've heard so many positive things, switched back to HBO, but I'll be starting with episode 30. If I can get it online, or even a written summary of what has gone on so far it would be very helpful, just need to pointed in the right direction.

Thanks

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It's on HBO On-Demand (from your cable provider) and HBO GO (if your provider has it). You can use HBO GO online, from a tablet, or phone with the app. Also on Roku.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Stan said:
Anybody have a good link or maybe a quick summary of this show?

I've heard so many positive things, switched back to HBO, but I'll be starting with episode 30. If I can get it online, or even a written summary of what has gone on so far it would be very helpful, just need to pointed in the right direction.

Thanks
This show is about as close to impossible to watch partway through as you can get; in fact, I would say it is impossible to watch that way, and get any enjoyment out of the activity. The show features a cast of nearly 100, including many supporting characters that are just as important story-wise as the leads. Multiple story lines occurring simultaneously, and interacting in a variety of complex ways.

I'll echo the above advice to grab copies of the blurays if you can (or stream the episodes). Set aside some time for a marathon viewing or two, sit back and enjoy one of the best shows on TV!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Stan, I'm going to give you the warning my boss didn't give me. This show is really, really addictive. If you do one of these marathon viewings, be aware you may totally lose track of time and place... I believe a sage voice once said "If you go down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny"...

On the other hand, you'll have a really good time along the way...

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
If you start watching this show from anywhere but the beginning, you are wasting your time. The whole value to it is based upon watching the characters go from where they started to where they end up. Jumping into the middle eliminates the viewer's emotional investment into the characters and turns the show into 'merely' a fantasy show.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I'll use the DVR for the new stuff and hold off watching it, but will go back to the beginning until I'm caught up.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Stan said:
Anybody have a good link or maybe a quick summary of this show? I've heard so many positive things, switched back to HBO, but I'll be starting with episode 30. If I can get it online, or even a written summary of what has gone on so far it would be very helpful, just need to pointed in the right direction. Thanks
Do not start watching at episode 30. Why would you do that?If you're interested in the show, start with season one episode one.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Stan said:
Looks like I'll use the DVR for the new stuff and hold off watching it, but will go back to the beginning until I'm caught up.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Good plan. I jumped into the middle of Fringe and Lost, and did fine. (I did go back and watch Fringe, but Lost's' ending pissed me off so much I never went back.) But I'm sure I would be screwed if I'd tried that with GOT.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to see that they went there (desecration of Robb Stark's body.) There is another post Red Wedding event that I guess we won't see until next season.

Simultaneously happy and kind of sad to see Arya get some small measure of payback. Regarding Theon, I guess the writers are fans of Andy Samberg and Justin Timberlake. :)

A fine finale to the season that sets up a lot of the storyline for next spring. I guess we've got about 9.5 months until the return of Game of Thrones. *sigh*

- Walter.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/09/game-of-thrones-future/
The third season is complete. The fourth is coming. Yet HBO’s Game of Thrones faces a potentially complicated future. Below Thrones showrunners, author George R.R. Martin and HBO’s programming president talk to EW about how the hit series might navigate the franchise’s uniquely twisting road ahead. “There is a ticking clock here,” says writer-executive producer David Benioff.Sunday’s finale cut off the action roughly two-thirds of the way through George R.R. Martin’s third Ice and Fire novel, A Storm of Swords. There’s two more books left unexplored (A Feast for Crows, A Dance With Dragons), which will present a few manageable adaptation challenges. Martin is working on his sixth book (The Winds of Winter) and plans a seventh (A Dream of Spring), but there’s no guarantee either will be ready in time for Thrones’ annual production schedule, or even that the seventh novel will be Martin’s last entry in the series.Season four, at least, should be relatively straight-forward. Martin’s story provides a strong map for the near-term.Adapting Feast is more tricky.
Continue to read the full article.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A terrific finale to a great third season. I liked that at least some of the disparate groups in the saga are meeting one another, with Sam and Gilly meeting Bran and the others. There's still so much going on, I'm not sure I'm clear on everything. Why is Bran going north of the wall? Why does he think he can stop the walkers?

Great stuff at Kings Landing between Joffrey and Tyrion, and most of all between Tywin and Joffrey. Is Cersei threatening to kill herself? She said she won't be marrying Loras Tyrell, but how is that possible? I guess everything is up in the air now that Jamie is back.

The show is as strong as ever. Here's to as many more seasons as they can put together.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm curious to read that article - just to see if my instincts on the way the next seasons will lay out is halfway correct.

And I still haven't read anything in the books past Clash of Kings.

I think Bran is going north with the brother/sister because the vision of the three-eyed raven is pulling him there. I believe they think their visions are the key to stopping the white walkers. I was happy to see that Sam had more of those weapons to give them. It seems this threat is enough to get Stannis' attention as well. One would think it should get the attention of everyone down in King's Landing, but I would expect Tywin to let other families go fight the problem in the North while he consolidates power down South.

I don't think Cercei was talking about killing HERSELF. I think she is planning an unfortunate end to Ser Loras. Having Jaime back would probably be a help to her in that respect. Her comment to Tyrion about wanting to throw herself out the window notwithstanding - and I think that was more to do with the life she had while Robert was king than the life she has now.

10 months to go. And so our long watch begins...

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Kevin EK said:
I don't think Cercei was talking about killing HERSELF. I think she is planning an unfortunate end to Ser Loras. Having Jaime back would probably be a help to her in that respect. Her comment to Tyrion about wanting to throw herself out the window notwithstanding - and I think that was more to do with the life she had while Robert was king than the life she has now.
Agreed. She is too self-centered to kill herself. She needs to protect her children -- especially Joffrey.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
That future of the show article is interesting. I think it is likely that next season will (obviously) finish Storm of Swords, but I also think they'll be using much of A Feast for Crows as well as making a few changes and shortcuts. Heck...in order to live up to the intensity of this season and presumably next season, the showrunners will have to do a LOT of streamlining and changes.

After last night's episode, it is pretty clear they are going to streamline the Greyjoy story, and we've now named Reek - something that didn't come about for a while in the books.

If GRRM doesn't at least finish his next book in the next two years I don't think this show goes past 5 seasons.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I do love the structure of these seasons with the climactic action in the 9th episode and the 10th being all about setting up next season.

I thought Jon's pleading "I have to go home now" was really well done.

Jaimie's homecoming was a quick tease, but still foreboding.

Since I see some changes in direction from the books being made, I'm not sure what to make of the Mhyssa moment. I'm curious to see what predicament (if any) Dany and her followers will be facing at the beginning of next season.

And, let's get a "hell yeah!" for the Arya killing machine!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks