What's new

**** HBO's BAND OF BROTHERS: The True Story Of Easy Company. (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tonights episode The Breaking Point, written by Graham Yost and directed by David Frankel was IMO, the best one yet.
There were so many highlights to this episode, I don't know where to begin.
As seen through the eyes of Sgt. Lipton, wonderfully portrayed by Donnie Wahlberg, this series seems to have really come together perfectly. This aptly titled episode in particular truly showed the horrors of war and its effect on the men in its midst.
The soldier, Hoobler, who accidentally shot and killed himself with a German Luger that he was trying to aquire since the beginning of the war. Terribly ironic.
Lt. Buck Compton, surviving everything the Germans threw at him, seeing his friends Toye and Guarnere lose their legs, his platoon being decimated, falling apart reaching his "breaking point".
Cpl.George Luz crawling toward the foxhole where Muck and Penkala were only to see them take a direct hit and die right in front of him.
Lt. Dike, AKA Foxhole Norman, the absent officer in the empty uniform, was probably the worst commander Easy Co ever had. The scene where he fell apart behind the haystacks in the middle of a battle without a plan, putting his men in jeopardy was truly frustrating and horrifying. Thankfully Lt. Winters ordered Lt. Speirs to relieve Lt. Dike and take over Easy Co. Speirs bravery in that battle earned him the respect and admiration of the entire company regardless of the stories that were told about him.
Sadly, a lot of familiar faces were killed and injured in this episode. The final scene in the convent showing these men fade away was very touching. All these scenes added up to one hell of a great episode.
Can I just say again what an excellent series Band Of Brothers is?
icon14.gif
patriot.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.
[Edited last by Tino on October 14, 2001 at 10:19 PM]

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Tonights episode was fabulous. The scenes depicting incoming bombardment from the Germans in the forest was very realistic and gruesome. The EFX gurus did one hell of a job.
patriot.gif

------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Tino, I think tonight's show was the best yet. It had some of the funniest lines of the series so far, and yet the general tone of the episode was very dark.
This was also the first episode I've seen in 5.1, just got the dish installed on Friday. The sound was exceptional.
------------------
Dave Smith
http://home.austin.rr.com/beowulf99

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Man, this one was a killer. The shelling was shown from different perspectives throughout, and all of it was impressive (and terrifying). That long shot showing several tree bursts was something I've never seen captured on film before.
It was a killer seeing so many familiar faces fall out on this one. Losing Compton was also such a heartbreaker, as had been through so much and had to witness such a terrible sight of two friends irrevocably damaged.
Lt Dike was like a driver asleep at the wheel of the family van - inevitably going to get someone killed. The total frustration I felt watching him crumble under the pressure was incredible. That he didn't lead to the destruction of the entire company is beyond me.
One of the best in a series that is hard to find any faults with. They have honestly put something special in our laps with this one. Bravo.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
just got done watching this one, and have to agree on it being the best one of the series so far. totally moving. i'm going to watch it again tomorrow night to catch all the things i'm sure i missed tonight. this is truly great television.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Brilliance. It's the word that rolls through my mind as each episode draws to a close with the exhale of the orchestra. Brilliance.
For a while, I kept saying to my friends, "this last episode was the best one yet", and then the next week's installment would surpass it. Tonight was no exception.
I don't think I've ever encountered a show that just kept on building in so many levels at the same time. This one left me in stunned silence when it was done.
Best yet? Absolutely. At least until next week...
Gary

GaryEA

Second Unit
Oh, I for got to add something; If Don Wahlberg doesn't get an Emmy nod, then there is no justice in entertainment.
Gary

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Donnie Walhberg has been consistently giving great performances but this one has to be up there. He's the real leader of Easy Company. He's always being there for the men and I was really glad that they admited it at the end of the episode.
Even before the show started, I was told by a friend to watch out for episode 7 and now I can see why. My favorite one yet.
One correction Tino. Winters is a captain. For a moment there I thought he was gonna go into battle to help out his men just like in "the old days". But he couldn't. I have the main idea why but could someone go into the details of why he couldn't go into battle and why he had to stay behind the line to watch his men die?
Lt. Spiers was awsome! Great courage. Just like he said, once you realize you're already dead, you'll be a much better solider. And he is. Just like the men of Easy company, he earned my respect when he ran through the enemy lines back and forth. My jaw hit the floor and I was like "this is one crazy mother f...er! but he's cool in my book!". Doesn't he run like Forrest Gump though? lol.
Great video, great audio, great series!
------------------
Andres
http://home.si.rr.com/coolvirus/

[Edited last by Andres Munoz on October 15, 2001 at 08:41 AM]
[Edited last by Andres Munoz on October 15, 2001 at 08:42 AM]

Danny R

Supporting Actor
For a moment there I thought he was gonna go into battle to help out his men just like in "the old days". But he couldn't. I have the main idea why but could someone go into the details of why he couldn't go into battle and why he had to stay behind the line to watch his men die?

Because his job at that point was as part of the command of the whole division, and not just a smaller company.
If he'd run out, then he'd theoretically be putting the larger unit at risk (no officer in charge anymore) just to save his old buddies. He'd be no better than Lt. Dyke because he would be leaving his own position vacant and that could potentially cause exactly the same sort of problems Easy company was experiencing to happen over the larger division.
Put it this way, in the event of a war, do you want our President to run out on the battlefield with a rifle?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Double
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on October 15, 2001 at 02:20 PM]

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I agree episode 7 was the best one yet.The bombing of the forest was really tense-it was sad to see my 3 favorites go though.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Hard to imagine they could top Part 7 - what a fantastic series, but this last episode was the best yet. (I wouldn't even need TV without HBO, CNN, and ESPN.)
What terrific production values all the way around - the writing, the acting, the sets, and awesome, realistic special effects to capture the true power and chaos of war.
An added note: we have friends with a family compound at Tahoe. One of their uncles (now deceased) was in Easy Company. His widow is still alive, and had never even been to Europe before (ironic, since the uncle traveled all over the world - he was in the CIA after WWII).
The Hanks/Spielberg production invited her and all surviving vets and spouses to a premiere/preview/reunion in France early this summer, all expenses paid (I think it coincided with the anniversary of D-Day), which was the experience of her life - quite a classy thing to do for a TV series production - but then, "it's not just TV".

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
This weeks episode was an interesting bridge between the harsh winter fighting when morale was lowest and the invasion of Germany. It focused on the return of Webster from medical leave and a new Lt. Honestly, this one was a bit of a let down in that it was thematically similar to The Replacements episode, although Winters actions at the end really spiced it up. I just didn't connect with this one for some reason though.
Next weeks seems to be a powerhouse as far as content.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Last week was indeed a high point in the series. It had great action and some of the best performances to date.
I watched tonight's show first-run instead of catching the Wednesday repeat. It had a good twist at the end.
I get the feeling that next week's episode is going to be very gut-wrenching.
- Steve

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Tom Hanks' son did a pretty good acting job here as the rookie lieutenant. I didn't know at first he was Hanks' son at first but midway through the episode I saw the resemblance and the credits at the end of the episode confirmed it.
Indeed next episode seems to be one of the most disturbing of the whole series. I'd like to find out what it is that everyone "has to see for themselves". Definately another episode not to be missed.
------------------
Andres
http://home.si.rr.com/coolvirus/

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Spoilers ahead - skip ahead if you don't want to know what happens in the next part of the series.
Spoiler:Easy Company finds a concentration camp.
End of spoilers.
I have mixed emotions while watching this series - on one hand, it's truly one of the best dramatic series I've ever seen, and worthy of the tons of praise it receives. Everything from the performances, writing, costumes, combat tactics, and direction to the scenery and music is just incredible. On the other hand, the men who die in battle in the series represent real men who died in real battles 50 years ago. As amazing as the series is technically, the story it tells is far more awe-inspiring. I can't even put into words the gratitude, sorrow, anger, pride, and a half dozen other emotions I feel as I learn more about the things my grandfather's generation endured.
------------------
Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I thought tonights episode was very good... though it definitely wasnt as good as The Breaking Point (Episode 7)...
However, at least according to some of the reviews I've read, next weeks episode "Why We Fight" is the series best. It should be gut-wrenching.
I'm also really looking foward to seeing the documentary they are airing after the series ends, with the real men of Easy Company.
Brian

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I wonder why Hank's son was only in for 1 epsiode? You would think he would have been in more, he looks to be really tall? I will be sad to see this series come to an end as I look forward to this show each week. I WILL be getting this on dvd. It is amazing what our grandparents did for us in this war
patriot.gif

------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508