What's new

**** HBO's BAND OF BROTHERS: The True Story Of Easy Company. (3 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Episode 4 is entitled "The Replacements" and deals with Operation: Market Garden that takes place in Holland, so perhaps that's where the confusion was.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Re: episode 4. It sounds like Easy Company meets A Bridge Too Far. Does anybody remember whether Eindhoven was the last (i.e., furthest) city they tried to simultaneously capture, where the heaviest Allied casualties were?
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
In light of last week's events it was a little painful watching the battle scenes. Don't get me wrong, I think it is one of the best war dramas I have ever seen. You really get to know who these people are and really feel the pain when one of the men die.
I do not intend to miss an episode.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone else feel uneasy when watching American soldiers, supposedly the "good guys", steal from the dead german soldiers (watches and other things)? And also, the massacre of the German unarmed POW's was very upsetting.
It's very refreshing to see this in an American show about American soldiers (I'm sure a lot of crimes were committed by American soldiers during this time), but I can't help wondering if people react the same way that I do, or if most people pretend that these things aren't there, or even that they aren't necessarily wrong, since it's American soldiers committing the crimes.
How do you guys feel about the depiction of these crimes?
/Mike

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Episode 4 is entitled "The Replacements" and deals with Operation: Market Garden that takes place in Holland, so perhaps that's where the confusion was.
*slaps forehead*
D'oh! When I was writing my review, I forgot the title of Episode Four. I used the IMDB, who listed it as "Holland."
Thanks Tino for clearing up the situation with Blithe's blindness.
Does nobody know the actor who plays the comedian/radio operator? (He was one of the two soldiers who was pinned behind the wall at the beginning of the Carentan assault.) I've seen him before, and I'm going nuts trying to remember his name!
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Has it escaped anyones attention that Prvt. Malarky is played by Scott Grimes from 'Critters'?
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

Danny R

Supporting Actor
How do you guys feel about the depiction of these crimes?
I think it only makes the show better, because it portrays these folks as human and thus makes them all the more real. Watching this series, I can almost imagine what these folks might have gone through. That would not exist if we whitewashed the war and took away the sins that make all humans who they are.

John GB

Stunt Coordinator
What freaked me out, in light of recent events, was the following line from Sunday night's episode. (and I am paraphrasing)
"What you need to understand is, you're already dead. Once you know this, you will truly be a soldier. Then you can act without mercy, compunction or remorse"
This scene sent chills down my spine BIG TIME. This is exactly how the terrorists hijackers behaved. I cannot think of them as soldiers, however.
patriot.gif

------------------

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Danny, I agree with you completely. To show American soldiers committing crimes while fighting the war definitely makes the show seem more realistic.
Since I haven't read the book, I wonder if these actions (especially the murder of the POW's) will have consequences for the soldiers later on in the series. I assume it will. Since we were never actually shown that the american soldier (I can't remember their names yet) shot the Germans, maybe there's another twist to the story?
I'm surprised nobody else has commented on this in the thread, it's one of the more interesting aspects of this excellent show so far, IMO.
/Mike

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have read the book and in it Stephen Ambrose basically said that almost all the soldiers looted. It was an accepted practice during the war.
From the book:
For instance, souvenir hunting of the German dead went on whenever there was a lull. Lugers were a favorite item, along with watches, daggers, flags, anything witha swastika on it.
Nearly all the men of Easy Company, like nearly all the men in ETO, participated i looting. It was a phenomenon of war. Thousands of men, who had never before in their lives taken something of value that did not belong to them began taking it for granted that whatever they wanted was theirs.
The looting was fun, profitable, low-risk, and completely in accord with the practice of every conquering army since Alexander The Great's time."

As for what fate awaits the soldiers, you'll just have to wait and see. :)
------------------

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to give a
icon14.gif
to HBO for giving us such a spectacular presentation and in Widescreen no less on their primary channel!
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Nearly all the men of Easy Company, like nearly all the men in ETO, participated i looting. It was a phenomenon of war. Thousands of men, who had never before in their lives taken something of value that did not belong to them began taking it for granted that whatever they wanted was theirs.

Amazingly enough then, I've never seen American soldiers do this in an American war movie before! Has anyone else? I'm glad that this show is as honest as it is, in all the talk about "the greatest generation" I've never seen anyone mention this aspect of it. War makes good people do things they would never do otherwise.
/Mike

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I agree with pretty much everyone else here. This is a great show. I caught it this past sunday and was quite impressed. Can't wait to see what happens on it next.
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
David Letterman had Stephen Ambrose on as a guest last night, and they talked a bit about the series. Ambrose said it is the best war film he's ever seen (though admittedly he's probably a bit biased
wink.gif
) but from what I've seen so far, I'd say he's not too far off the mark. He said he was also watching an interview with Carwood Lipton (the character played by Donnie Whalberg), and he was asked if the airdrop into Normandy was like it showed in the series, and Lipton said it was dead-on accurate. Quite a compliment to the FX guys if you ask me :)
Can't wait for this Sundays episode, looks excellent.
Brian

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tonight's Episode:
Part 4: "REPLACEMENTS"
Written by Graham Yost and Bruce C. McKenna
Directed by David Nutter
It deals with Operation: Market Garden in Holland and promises to be very exciting.
This patriotic series has taken on a new meaning for me in light of what's happened. Hopefully the new "EASY COMPANYS" of the United States will be as brave and heroic as these men were. I'm sure they will be.
patriot.gif

------------------

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I agree Steve.
I particularly enjoyed the way this episode focused more on other characters such as Bull and of course, the replacements.
The scene with Bull in the barn and his hand-to-hand life and death battle with the German was very effective. You could tell the German was scared as Bull was and they both knew that one of them had to die. The young girl watching this happen just added to the sad reality of the scene. I'm sure this happened thousands of times throughout the war. Tragic and sad.
Also the scenes of the women that collaborated and slept with the Germans being stripped, shaved, beaten and humiliated was powerful.
The scope of this series is very impressive and you can see that the approx. $12 million dollars per episode that was spent is right there on the screen. The battle scenes are so realistic and impressive that it amazes me each week that this is a television series.
BTW, Next weeks epiode, CROSSROADS, is directed by Tom Hanks.
------------------

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine read somewhere that episode 7 was supposed to contain the most action and gore of them all.
All of the previous episodes have contained enough gore so I can't imagine what episode 7 will contain.
Great series. Great, great series. Lots of Emmys for this one.
------------------
Andres
My Home Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks