What's new

**** HBO's BAND OF BROTHERS: The True Story Of Easy Company. (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tonight is the night. Band Of Brothers premieres at 9 P.M. with two episodes back to back.
This 10 part series is based on the book of the same name by Stephen E. Ambrose and is Executive Produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks.
The first episode is entitled "Currahee" and is written by Erik Jendresen and Tom Hanks and directed by Phil Alden Robinson (Field Of Dreams). This episode deals with Easy Company's intense training.
The second episode is entitled "Day Of Days" and is written by John Orloff and directed by Richard Locraine. This episode deals with Easy company's first airborne drop on D-Day.
The previews for the series look amazing. I am eagerly awaiting this miniseries as I just finished reading Mr. Ambrose's excellent book. It was a fascinating read and I urge anyone with any interest in this subject at all to pick it up. The sacrifices these young men made for all of us to enjoy the freedom we have today is sometimes sadly forgotten. The book and hopefully the series will change that.
I can't wait to see the show and discuss it. Anyone else? :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.
[Edited last by Tino on September 09, 2001 at 07:41 AM]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The remaining episodes credits and airdates are as follows:
Part 3: "Carentan". Written by E. Max Frye. Directed by Mikael Salomon. Airs on September 16.
Part 4: "Replacements". Written by Graham Yost and Bruce C McKenna and directed by David Nutter. Airs on September 23.
Part 5: "Crossroads". Written by Erik Jendresen and Directed by Tom Hanks. Airs on September 30.
Part 6: "Bastogne". Written by Bruce C. McKenna and Directed by David Leland. Airs on October 7.
Part 7: "The Breaking Point". Written by Graham Yost and Directed by David Frankel. Airs on October 14.
Part 8: "The Patrol". Written by Erik Bork and Bruce C. McKenna and Directed by Tony To. Airs on October 21.
Part 9: "Why We Fight". Written by John Orloff and Directed by David Frankel. Airs on October 28.
Part 10: "Points". Written by Erik Jendresen and Erik Bork and Directed by Mikael Salomon. Airs on November 4.
------------------

Jonathan Gross

Auditioning
I am so looking forward to this miniseries. I just had cable installed yesterday and got HBO simply because of this. I loved Saving Private Ryan and this has the same look and feel and has Spielburg's masterful eye overlooking all of it. Should be great.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I have to have a cable box installed in order to get HBO and I am not doing that. I guess I will have to wait for the DVDs. I hope they release them first or second quarter of 2002 (but Christmas 2001 would be even better).
Frank
------------------
movie.jpg
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nightdog&acceptadult=true

James St

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, Tino. Does anyone know if they will be shown in widescreen like the Sopranos?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It's widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1...at least on HBO-HD.
- Steve
------------------
gotremo.jpg

Got Remo?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It's widescreen (letterboxed) and DD5.1 (where available) on standard HBO also, with a J6P simulcast on HBO+ like The Sopranos season 3 was.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Looks Great So Far
icon14.gif

Give it up for Ron Livingston, PETER from "Office Space"!! Did you recognize him?
What did everyone think of David Swimmers(sp?) performance?
BTW-Did anyone else notice a long sound drop in the second episode and then the sound seemed to be louder and clearer. In fact, I had to turn my Outlaw down to about 42 or so on the dial
confused.gif

Another great HBO miniseries, with a definite SPR feel in DD 5.1, I might add :)
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

[Edited last by Todd Barattini on September 09, 2001 at 11:54 PM]

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say that everyone did a nice job of acting in this very excellent beginning. The great thing about this story is that no embellishing is needed: it's a remarkable drama just by the facts.
Very well done!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just wathed this monumental achievment, and I must say was VERY immpressed!
But what pathetic sound! HBO is not qualified to show such an epic! As immpressed as I was, i'm half tempted to not even watch the other parts until the dvd's come out, witch will undoubtedly have REAL DD and DTS!
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
We'll make this the Official Band Of Brothers thread.....
Wow, what a show!!! Very SPR like, yet up close and personal.......
I just watched this show in High Def 1080I, Dolby Digital 5.1 ...
All I can say is, truely amazing.... One of the best Broadcasts I have ever scene on TV.... The Main soundstage in 5.1 sound is powerful, and captivating.... Surround effects are dazzling with Seamless panning across the entire theater......
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
But what pathetic sound! HBO is not qualified to show such an epic! As immpressed as I was, i'm half tempted to not even watch the other parts until the dvd's come out, witch will undoubtedly have REAL DD and DTS!
The DD 5.1 Mix was far from this.... Stereo sound just can't do this show any justice... It needs to be heard in 5.1......
By the way.... For all of you guys that have SVS subs.... When you finally here this in 5.1 Bolt down all loose Objects!!! :)
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
So the real experience is being lost on about 90% of the population!?! I'll wait for the dvd's to come out.
------------------
Leonard from Memento

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Very Impressive Indeed!
The first episode, Currahee was a great introduction to the characters. David Schwimmer's performance as Herbert Sobel was surprisingly very good. It was also NOT an exageration according to the book. He even looks like the real Sobel. It was very faithful to the events detailed in the book, such as crawling through pig intestines, eating a big spaghetti dinner and then being forced to run up Currahee, Sobel always getting lost etc.. As hated as Sobel was by the men, most of them agree that he made Easy Company by uniting them all in their hatred of him.
The second part, Day Of Days was almost non-stop action. The airdrop sequence over Normandy on D-Day was one of the most impressive sequences I have ever seen on TV. The visual effects were as spectacular as anything in film today. There were many great and sad moments in this episode. For instance the scene with the horses caught in the crossfire. We sometimes forget that innocent animals were also killed and it was brave for the film makers to show this tragic scene. Also the scene where one of Easy Company's men taunts a German prisoner, only to find out that he was born in the USA, near his hometown but went back to Germany with his family. They stike up a friendly conversation. In the next scene, that prisoner, along with others is suddenly killed by Capt. Speirs after giving them some smokes. That is also a supposedly true and documented in the book.
The action scenes were very intense and well choreographed. Very reminiscent of the look of Saving Private Ryan. The acting by the regulars so far is very good. Damien Lewis as Captain Winters stands out already. I'm sure others will follow. The music by Michael Kamen is also appropriately stirring.
So far, IMO, Band Of Brothers has lived up to its hype and is great television.
icon14.gif
:)
------------------

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
What Tino said.
Wow. Let me say this is shaping up to be something exceptional.
Great casting, with everyone lacking any artificial hollwood touches, even David Schwimmer surprisingly.
Great pacing, the first episode had great character development and their lead-in with anecdotes is touching and effective.
Great action, with very similar cinematography to SPR. I was really involved in their first major action.
I can't wait till next week!
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Schwimmer? did a great job of playing a hardass.
I kept waiting for him to pull a handfull of ball bearings out of his pocket ala Bogart.
I have a feeling that alot of people will want to buy the DVD just for the 5.1 audio.
I am still trying to figure out why those Naval shells sounded like 3 F-4 Phantoms with afterburners on screaming thru my living room.
Wow!!
Maybe Steven S. will include dts with the DVD
wink.gif

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm baffled by your comments, John. The DD 5.1 sound was AMAZING, especially during the battle sequences.
Are you just not receiving 5.1 in your area?
- Steve

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Steve, no to say the least! And to add insult to injury, even the 2 channel audio was screwed up! All of the sound was coming from the right front speaker!
confused.gif

------------------
Leonard from Memento

GaryEA

Second Unit
Wow. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two installments tonight. This looks to become a true classic of television if it stays on par with the first two installments.
I'm going on record and saying that I liked a lot more than SPR, and it isn't even over. True kid in a candy store time.
A good, solid presentation. Bravo.
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks