HBOhd, quality of picture?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dwight Amato, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I tried to search on this but the search function is disabled. Can anyone tell me how good the picture quality is on HBOhd? I will be getting that channel through my digital cable company this Thursday and I was curious what I can expect.

Previously I had a Samsung 165 OTA HDTV reciever to go CBS from NYC. I was very impressed with the picture quality of the college football games, and enjoyed watching CSI. The sitcoms on CBS were nice in that they filled up the screen and looked nice, but nothing amazing.

I am curious how things look on HBO. I assume older movies will look decent but nothing amazing, and hopefully newer movies will look spectacular. Also, do they broadcast their original programming in HDTV (Soprano's, 6 feet under, etc?)

2. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

On my 50 inch Toshiba with AT&T digital cable, HBO hd generally looks about as good as a nice dvd. It looks much better than regular HBO, but it hasn't blown me away yet.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Same here. Seems a lot softer than the superb PBS reference signal. Slightly higher than DVD quality is how I would put it.

4. Phil Kim

Phil Kim Stunt Coordinator

To me, HBO-HD looks better than a "nice DVD" or "slightly higher than DVD quality," at least on my 56" RPTV.

Granted, images won't blow you away like video materials would (e.g., PBS, network sitcoms shot on HD video, sports), but that's because most are shot on film. Many HBO movies, such as Live from Baghdad, looked and sounded fantastic on HD.

Comparing HBO-HD to DVD side-by-side (frequent aspect ratio cropping on 2.35:1 notwithstanding), I can easily see more details (DVD looks soft/out of focus).

Not, "wow, look at all that details" but certainly better than DVD.

5. Michael St. Clair

HBO does most of their own transfers...it looks better than DVD but not always the best HD movies can look. And the zoomed ones are often soft, but who cares, they aren't OAR.

6. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

well I only have a 36" [​IMG] and Hbo Hd is usually "slightly better than dvd quality" [​IMG]

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

HBO-HD on my set-up looks generally better than the best DVD transfers out there, IMO (depending on the quality of the program).

I'll put it to you this way, I'd rather watch movies on HBO-HD than on DVD. SHOWTIME HDTV can be slightly better than HBO and they usually show 2.35:1 material in their OAR (original aspect ratio). Dances With Wolves was on Showtime-HD this past weekend in 2.35:1 and looked beautiful...waay better than the DVD.

I have the DCT-5100 Motorola HDTV STB from Comcast.

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

For me, it depends on what I'm watching. Some of the "upconverted" film looks grainy to me and only slightly better than standard cable broadcast.

While "Evolution" for some reason looked awesome to me. Better than DVD. I found myself watching this lame movie because of the picture quality... is there something wrong with that?

I see the same things on other networks as well even broadcast ones, so, this is not exclusive to HBO.

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Some movies on HBOH are not in true HD. Although they are telecast in 1080i this is unconverted from (at best 480p) for the telecast. The best recent example was ‘Harry Potter’, last December, IIRC. Another example upcoming is Scattering Dad, due to be telecast Thursday. Also many non-movies, such as the current ‘Rolling Stones’ special are not in true HD. Neither is much of their original programming such as Sex and the City, although Tony and his mob are in HD.

If you are interested you can check out the schedule at HBO.com – there is a listing for HBO HDTV and the telecasts in true HD are so marked.

11. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

Oh well. I was wanting better quality but I guess just filling up my screen with a nice clean picture will be enough for now...

12. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor