What's new

HBO Video: help revive THE SILENT PARTNER (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I just viewed this terrific, little-known mystery gem from 1978, and it is crying for reissue on DVD! Seeing as how the theme of the movie is underestimation, it applies perfectly: from Elliot Gould and Susannah York's performances, to Curtis Hanson's clever screenplay, to Daryl Duke's cunning and yet invisible direction, the viewer is not prepared for how good this movie is.
I'm aware that HBO helped finance this film in exchange for video rights, as they did with many early indie films like THE BELL JAR, GO TELL THE SPARTANS, and AGENCY (which I'd also all like to have on DVD too). And as such, first through Vestron and then their own label, the movie has looked pretty bad: poorly cropped from a carefully composed 1.85:1 OAR, with mono sound causing the fine Oscar Peterson score to sound tinny. A newly mastered DVD, with proper matteing and enhanced sound, and perhaps commentary from Hanson and Gould, would really help elevate the profile of this long-neglected film.
HBO is sitting on some really underrated films, this high among them. If they ever want to enjoy the kind of studio respect that the other majors have from DVD fans, this would be a great way to start building goodwill.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I can't possibly be the only person who's seen this movie. Isn't there one person here who can back me up on how good this movie is?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I've worn out my VHS copy so would jump at the chance to have this on DVD. It's my favorite Christmas movie!

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
I too would purchase a DVD of this film. I found my VHS copy on the used rack at a video rental place for $2.99. Great performances from Gould and Christopher Plummer.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've been hoping for this on DVD for years, but does HBO own it now? In any case, it's an incredibly tense and entertaining film, with some of Elliot Gould's (and Christopher Plummer's) best work. Scary, thrilling, and begging for re-issue!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks