What's new

HBO True Detective (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Fair warning, if you are expecting this all to be tied up and a neat little bow at the end of episode 8 you haven't been paying attention. More like Sopranos than Breaking Bad.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Brandon Conway said:
My only complaint is that it's going down the now stereotyped road of Christian church as a front for diabolical pseudo-pagan serial killer cul
Maybe it's a stereotype because sometimes it's true. I don't think it's so much a Christian front as a Power front.

My only complaint is that there is only one episode left and I can't fathom how all the story threads will be tied up in one hour. I expect economy and intelligent writing. Pizzolatto doesn't lead the viewers by the hand. It's like jumping on a moving train. This ain't The Following.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
If you look at the last drawing Marty's daughter did it appears to be a man either in a mask or possibly a kid's depiction of scary scars.

Also, in that same episode (E03), they interview a guy with scars on his face. Obviously not the tractor guy from the latest episode, but interesting.

EDIT: Rust did interview the tractor guy later in that same episode, but the scars weren't evident.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Sam Posten said:
Fair warning, if you are expecting this all to be tied up and a neat little bow at the end of episode 8 you haven't been paying attention. More like Sopranos than Breaking Bad.
I disagree. Maybe not a neat little bow, but I think there will be a good bit of closure. Perhaps some ambiguity, but I think we will find out who the main killer is. It will not be like The Sopranos where it just ends. Perhaps more like The Killing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ That's the only thing I'm sure of. :) Most people don't realize it but they love the mystery, the unknown and the anticipation far more than the resolution so when an answer comes, they don't like it. Part of that comes from the internet mining every detail of the show to come up with elaborate theories so that some people think there's going to be one massive all encompassing answer that makes sense, is gigantic and blows their minds all at the same time. In short, some people want the impossible and will be disappointed when/if the resolution is simply a nut who kills people, has it covered up by the church and Marty and Cohle prove that to their satisfaction.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sam Posten said:
Here's me eating crow. What a bullshit fucking ending. Hollywood feelgood theist bullshit.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I loved the final episode, including the ending. Part Cormac McCarthy, part David Lynch.

Enjoy your Emmy awards, True Detective.

Also, regarding your "theistic bullshit" comment, Sam, while I can see that point of view, I think Rust's final monologue was simply another existential nihilist moment. Rust believes that life has no inherent meaning, but after looking into the void, he realized that he can create his own meaning, and that meaning (the love of his daughter) is just as valid as any inherent meaning a "believer" would give to life. It's pretty in-line with existential nihilism.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
His words match almost exactly Panentheism:"eternal cosmic animating force[1]) interpenetrates every part of nature and timelessly extends beyond it."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PanentheismBut even if you throw out the whole religion aspect of it they systematically kill everything that made the partnership cool and undo everything. He'll Marty gets closure if not love from his cheating wife and bratty kids.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I haven't watch this show yet but I will. I really like where companies like HBO, Netflix, etc. have taken television programming and turned it on its ear. I really believe the success of such shows as Downton Abby, Sherlock, Foyle's War, etc. from the BBC and House of Cards, Homeland, House of Lies, etc. have really set the model for great television to come. Most of them with the feel of a movie that has been spilt into several parts. You are compelled to watch one episode after another. And best of all. No commercials (except when you have to pee or get something to eat). :)

I read the other day that McConaughey said that this will be his only round with this series.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
His words match almost exactly Panentheism:"eternal cosmic animating force[1]) interpenetrates every part of nature and timelessly extends beyond it."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PanentheismBut even if you throw out the whole religion aspect of it they systematically kill everything that made the partnership cool and undo everything. He'll Marty gets closure if not love from his cheating wife and bratty kids.
Are you kidding me Sam? Marty is the root of whatever wrong that happen with his family. It's too bad you didn't like the final episode. I thought it was great!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"I said, 'Darkness, yeah.' "

I thought it was a pretty average wrap-up to the central mystery, but a dynamite resolution to the two main characters.

Shit, they might as well not even nominate four other actors for the Best Dramatic Actor Emmy in September. That scene with McConaughey at the end was amazing acting. It was cathartic, tragic, and hopeful. Cohle ultimately realized that he had become a victim of his own philosophy.

That last five minutes. Not to mention maybe the most FUCK YEAH .GIFable enemy death-moment ever.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Robert Crawford said:
Are you kidding me Sam? Marty is the root of whatever wrong that happen with his family. It's too bad you didn't like the final episode. I thought it was great!
Yeah, that was poorly worded on my part. The rest stands tho, haaaaaaated it! If they had JUST STOPPED before the hospital stuff this would have been a perfect end to the series. But no, they had to go and undo everything and paint Rust as having this great spiritual / religious awakening, cheapening everything he believed in into some crackpot delusion caused by the death of his daughter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Slate:http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/10/true_detective_finale_on_hbo_form_and_void_a_recap_and_debate.html
But I am a little in awe of how totally snookered we all were. Boy, did we overthink this thing! The Internet’s theories about the case were so much more ingenious and captivating than what happened in tonight’s episode. They so much more neatly and plausibly tied up loose ends that the finale had no interest in. Maggie’s father-in-law, Audrey, even the Yellow King—not really relevant! Instead, we got a mansion out of Grey Gardens-meets-Deliverance deposited next to the largest catacomb this side of Europe. (Can you build that deep in the bayou? Or doesn’t the water come up? Or was the whole thing constructed just so Rust and Marty could stare up at a flat circle?) Also, it finally happened: Someone made Cary Grant super creepy.Worse was the last character beat. I think maybe True Detective ended with Rust Cohle finding God? Talk me off the ledge.Haglund: I’ll try. For starters, Rust did not find God, so far as I could tell: He found physics. (I haven’t watched the new Cosmos yet, but I hear its message is roughly the same.) Or maybe it’s more accurate to say he found hope. And I found his final speech, out by the hospital parking lot, genuinely moving.
I stand with the former, of course.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
At the very Rust says end something like "you've got it all wrong, in the beginning it was all black" Then he said something about stars - but I couldn't hear it properly. Anyone pick it up

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Doug Smith said:
At the very Rust says end something like "you've got it all wrong, in the beginning it was all black" Then he said something about stars - but I couldn't hear it properly. Anyone pick it up
I might be off by a word or two but he said "There was only dark once but if you ask me, the light is winning."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks