HBO The Wire Starts Season Two Re-run Tonight (AND Season 3 begins Sept. 19)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by CurtM, Jun 13, 2004.

1. CurtM

CurtM Extra

THE BEST Cop Drama on TV today. Have you seen it. I will admit it takes a few episodes to get rolling because of all the characters and development, it's worth it. As you can imagine coming from HBO, they don't hold much back. Be prepared for an adult ride. Season three starts production soon. If you can't see it tonight it re-plays during the week.

Curt

2. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Season 2 was great. I'll be watching it again. [​IMG]

Can't wait for Season 3!

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

It is probably a good idea to watch this a second time. Having a more familiarity with the characters will help you get up to speed on the storylines quicker. I have enjoyed both seasons and anxiously await the third season. I assume it will begin after Six Feet Under season ends?!?!

4. Jeremiah Peck

Jeremiah Peck Auditioning

actually, season three has already started production, they've been filming for weeks now.

5. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I agree... not just the best cop drama: the best show on TV in my opinion. Any insider news on when Season 3 will start? I was hoping it would be this summer since there is such a void when it comes to good summer drama.

Chris

6. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I agree... not just the best cop drama: the best show on TV in my opinion. Any insider news on when Season 3 will start? I was hoping it would be this summer since there is such a void when it comes to good summer drama.

Chris

7. CurtM

CurtM Extra

Here's a couple of articles concerning The Wire. Looks like their looking forward to a September return.

baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/bal-to.wire09jun09,0,4966014.story?coll=bal-artslife-tv

Production has begun for the third season of 'The Wire.'

Created by David Simon, 'The Wire' wrapped its second season last September. Told from the point of view of both the police and their targets, the first season depicted a single sprawling drugs-and-murder police investigation in Baltimore involving complex, dangerous wiretaps and surveillances. The second season chronicled the travails of a longshoremen's union to survive in a changing economic landscape. The series captures a universe where easy distinctions between good and evil, and crime and punishment, are challenged at every turn.

Season three will continue the show's detailed examination of a city's underground drug economy, as well as examine the idea of reform and the role of the political leadership in addressing the city's problems. "It's the third year for the city where the story takes place," said Simon. "By that calendar, look for election-year politics to play an important part in the events that unfold."

"The support from HBO has been gratifying," said Simon. "But more important is the response from viewers, who were drawn into the show as the [first] season progressed. This is not an episodic show. It requires an attentive, thinking audience. And as the story unfolded, that audience began to find us."

Launching on HBO June 2002, the first season of 'The Wire' generated wide critical praise. The Los Angeles Times called it, "a scorching look at the drug trade," while TV Guide wrote," 'The Wire' is engrossing and unpredictable... refreshingly adult and richly layered." The New York Times observed, "The actors are great fun to watch," while Entertainment Weekly hailed 'The Wire' as "electrifyingly funky drama," and Variety termed it "sophisticated and significant television." It landed on numerous "best of" lists for 2002, including Time Magazine, Entertainment Weekly, USA Today, Chicago Tribune, San Francisco Chronicle, Newsday, Boston Globe, Financial Times and Newark Star-Ledger. It was named Best Show on Television by Television Week's semi-annual poll of 50 television critics.

'The Wire' was created and executive produced by David Simon, who executive produced and won an Emmy® together with David Mills for writing the acclaimed HBO miniseries 'The Corner'. Debuting on HBO in 2000, the miniseries was based on the nonfiction book The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood, by David Simon and Edward Burns.

'The Wire' is also executive produced by Robert F. Colesberry and produced by Nina Kostroff Noble.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I just noticed on HBO's website that season 3 starts on September 19, in the coveted Sunday, 9pm time slot, as soon as Six Feet Under winds up the current season.

M.