HBO pre-24/7 outtro animation clip

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin Farley, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Ok, in the same spirit as the Charlie Brown Special thread, who remembers HBO pre 24/7, as they went off the air each evening? They used to have a cute little animation, to a bongo beat, of the dad putting out the milk bottles and the cat (I think) and it was really awesome! Does anyone have this taped? or know where to get it?

Thank you!

2. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

C'mon... 28 people read this and no one remembers it? Hello!

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have this on DVD, along with other old movie intros and previews from various cable/pay TV channels, including stuff from defunct channels like MovieVision and The Z Channel, all transferred from old tapes I've found- I pick up old tapes mainly hoping to find old TV commercials and shows, but sometimes end up with movies taped off cable so I transfer the intros and stuff if they left those in. I have one disc with 2 hours of these, and am working on a 2nd one right now. Anyone who wants a copy please email me- I don't always think to check my private messages so that's not the best way to reach me.

What did HBO show when they went back on the next day? Also when did they start going 24 hours? The tape I have with the sign-off appears to be sometime around 1979, when they started listing HBO in the regular newspapers I think it was 24 hours by then. I've always wondered what the first movie HBO ever showed was, and what movie has been shown the most times (HBO stands for Hey, Beastmaster's On BTW!) I read that their first original program was a polka festival, and the first made-for-HBO movie was The Terry Fox Story.

4. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Thank you! I've emailed you asking for costs, etc. I mean, I'm 39, got hbo @ 14, and I know I'm not the only one here who remembers that... I remember looking for the movies with the longest disclaimers, and staying up to watch them. [​IMG] Hey, I was 14.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Ah yes....when HBO was more commonly referred to as "Home Box Office". I loved their logo and the song that played before movies. the camera flys over a city, then The star that explodes.... the theme song... It always gets me pumped!

6. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

JeremySt> YES! i remember that theme song too! I wonder if that clip is available online anywhere??

~Jason

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

It's available on Television's Greatest Hits, Vol. 7: Cable Ready. Track #62, 'HBO Feature Presentation'.

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I remember the silver HBO block letters flying towards the screen before they'd show Porkys or Excalibur for the umpteenth time that day.

In fact, I remember a short "making of" video on how they created the flying letters. They actually used big metal block letters moving on a robot arm as this was the days before CGI. Then they overlayed some explosion effect created with two transparancies to make the exploding "stargate" effect. That was the term they called it... a "stargate" effect. I don't know why I remember this.

Pretty funny when you think about it nowadays. Some teenager could knock that whole intro out on his PC in about 10 minutes I'd bet.

9. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Haha, I was just thnking about that the other day. I love that intro. I used to watch movies with my mom when I was a kid and that intro just brings back good times.[​IMG]