What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The virtual TCM Festival this year will be on both TCM and HBOMax. Different films on each service. They describe it as going to the festival in person with 2 theaters running programs at the same time. Festival will include a virtual reunion of 3 stars from West Side Story, Russ Tamblyn, Rita Moreno, and George Chakiris. This will air on both TCM and HBOMax.

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The virtual TCM Festival this year will be on both TCM and HBOMax. Different films on each service. They describe it as going to the festival in person with 2 theaters running programs at the same time. Festival will include a virtual reunion of 3 stars from West Side Story, Russ Tamblyn, Rita Moreno, and George Chakiris. This will air on both TCM and HBOMax.

I hope HBOMAX will present WEST SIDE STORY in 4K

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Coming in April 2021

April 1

A Shock To The System, 1990 (HBO)

Abandon, 2002 (HBO)

Adam’s Rib, 1949

All Is Lost, 2013 (HBO)

Assume the Position with Mr. Wuhl

Barbarosa,
1982 (HBO)

Black Dynamite, 2009

Blindness, 2008 (HBO)

The Bodyguard, 1992

Boogie Nights, 1997

Bringing Up Baby, 1938

The Butcher’s Wife, 1991 (HBO)

Caddyshack,

The Collection, 2012 (HBO)

The Color Purple,

Dante’s Peak, 1997 (HBO)

Dark Shadows,
2012 (HBO)

Dead Silence,
2007 (HBO)

Dirty Harry,

The Eagle Has Landed, 1977 (HBO)

Early Man,
2018 (HBO)

Easy Rider, 1969

Ella Enchanted,
2004 (HBO)

The Evil That Men Do,
1984 (HBO)

Eye For An Eye,
1996 (HBO)

Fear,
1996 (HBO)

genera+ion,
Season 1 Part One Finale (Max Original)

Ghost Rider, 2007

Goodfellas, 1990

The Great Pottery Throwdown, Season 4 Premiere (Max Original)

Green Lantern, 2011

Hardball, 2001 (HBO)

Happy Endings

Haywire,
2012 (HBO)

In & Out, 1997 (HBO)

Kicking & Screaming, 2005 (HBO)

King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword, 2017 (HBO)

Lassiter, 1984 (HBO)

Leatherface Texas Chainsaw Massacre III, 1990 (HBO)

Let’s Go To Prison, 2006 (HBO)

The Longest Yard, 1974 (HBO)

Man Up, 2015 (HBO)

The Mask of Zorro, 1998

The Man With The Iron Fists, 2012 (Unrated Version) (HBO)

Missing In Action 2 - The Beginning, 1985 (HBO)

Missing In Action, 1984 (HBO)

My Super Ex-Girlfriend, 2006 (HBO)

The Nanny

The Natural,

Now, Voyager, 1942

One Day, 2011 (HBO)

Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment, 1985 (HBO)

Police Academy 3: Back In Training, 1986 (HBO)

Police Academy 4: Citizens On Patrol, 1987 (HBO)

Police Academy 5: Assignment: Miami Beach, 1988 (HBO)

Police Academy 6: City Under Siege, 1989 (HBO)

Police Academy: Mission To Moscow, 1994 (HBO)

Primal Fear, 1996 (HBO)

Reasonable Doubt, 2014 (HBO)

Red Dawn, 1984 (HBO)

The Return, 2006 (HBO)

Risky Business, 1983 (HBO)

Roger & Me, 1989

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, 1939

Sneakers, 1992 (HBO)

Space Jam, 1996

Speed 2 Cruise Control, 1997 (HBO)

Spellbound, 2003 (HBO)

Stuart Little, 1999

The Shack, 2017 (HBO)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, 2006 (Extended Version) (HBO)

Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family, 2011

Wanderlust, 2012 (HBO)

The Warriors, 1979 (Director’s Cut) (HBO)

The Watch, 2012 (HBO)

White Noise, 2005 (HBO)

The Wild Life, 2016 (HBO)

Within, 2016 (HBO)

Wolves At The Door, 2017 (HBO)

April 2

On the Spectrum

April 3

Ted, 2012 (Unrated Version) (HBO)

April 4

Q: Into The Storm, Documentary Series Finale (HBO)

April 5

Hard, Season 2 Finale (HBO)

April 6:

Genndy Tartokovksy’s Primal, Season 1B

April 7

Exterminate All The Brutes, Documentary Series Premiere (HBO)

South Side, Season 1

April 9

Intemperie (A.K.A. Out In The Open), 2019 (HBO)

The Other Two, Season 1

A Tiny Audience, Season 2 Finale (HBO)

April 13

Our Towns, Documentary Premiere (HBO)

April 15

Infinity Train, Season 4 Premiere (Max Original)

April 17

The Dark Knight Rises, 2012 (HBO)

April 20

Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel (HBO)

April 22

1,2,3 All Eyes On Me, 2020 (HBO)

First Ladies, 2020

Princess Cut, 2020 (HBO)

Rizo, 2020 (HBO)

April 23

A Black Lady Sketch Show, Season 2 Premiere (HBO)

El Robo Del Siglo (Aka Heist Of The Century) (HBO)

April 24

Dreamgirls, 2006 (HBO)

April 26:

The Artist, 2011

April 29

Looney Tunes Cartoons, Season 1D (Max Original)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is a trailer for the "Friends" Reunion Show. It hasn't been filmed yet but they do have a trailer. They will not be in character. They will film it on the stage where the show was filmed.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per a NY Times article HBOMAX is adding subscribers.

AT&T added 2.7 million new customers to HBO and HBO Max in the first quarter, a boost for the company’s new streaming effort in an increasingly crowded field.

The company’s WarnerMedia division, which includes HBO, recorded $8.5 billion in revenue for the period, a 9.8 percent jump over last year, when theater sales and advertising revenue plummeted during the pandemic. Led by the chief executive Jason Kilar, WarnerMedia also includes the cable networks CNN and Turner and the Warner Bros. film studios.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This article link has the May titles appearing on HBO Max. Not much for us classic film buffs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Expect to see more consolidation of streaming services in the near future.

Ultimately I think this could be a good thing.

With streaming we kinda have a version of one of the problems with cable particularly in the later days of it - there are simply too many channels/services, but not enough content on each individually to justify having in perpetuity. It’s become the equivalent of the way many cable channels only have one premium show at a time, usually running short seasons. Meanwhile these services are competing for talent and spending far more on production than they could reasonably hope to recoup if they’re only running one or two noteworthy things at a time.

If there are too few services, the risk becomes that only the most popular content gets made, that it becomes a “blockbusters and nothing else” environment. But if there are too many services, then the risk becomes that there are too many niches with not enough eyeballs in each niche to pay for that content - it doesn’t even matter how good it is if it won’t appeal to enough people to cover costs.

I know this sounds like a weird thing to say but sometimes too much choice isn’t a good thing. In our household we have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Paramount+, Disney+, Apple+, Hulu and HBO Max. Prime is more the side benefit of using Amazon for packages, Hulu makes up for not having broadcast or cable, Apple+ was free with my latest device, and Disney+ is free with our Verizon Fios service. I didn’t expect it would feel this way but it’s almost too much - can’t tell you how often we get decision paralysis once we’re past the obvious A+ titles on each service. We’ve become more hesitant to try new content on the different platforms because much of it is serialized but in a way where it needs to be on for multiple seasons to pay off on the storytelling, and a lot of stuff is getting canceled before it gets that far. It’s hard to decide what’s worth investing the time into.

I’m kinda glad this is starting to happen now vs five or ten years from now. I’m sure there must be worthwhile stuff out there that I’m missing but at this point I feel the best way for these companies to get me to see that content is for some of it to get folded into services I already have. I’m already looking to cut stuff because overall each service gets used very little. I’d rather have three or four services I use extensively than seven or eight that get used occasionally, and I think that’s where the marketplace is gonna push these things.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm thrilled to see that HBOMax's decision to stream films day-and-date with the theatrical releases cost them a billion dollars. I thought it would end up as a financial failure, but geez....a billion dollars! Hopefully, this will put a stop this nonsense and help restore the theatrical window.

Warner Bros’ Decision To Drop Movies On HBO Max Cost Them >$1B, Fueled Sale To Discovery

Why do you care as it was a benefit for those of us that are not comfortable going to the movie theater right now?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not even convinced the day and date availability significantly affected the box office gross of anything they put out.

WW84 underperformed, but also came out at a time when many theaters were closed and many patrons were unwilling to visit theaters. It was also critically reviled and word of mouth was terrible.

The Little Things was more or less DOA at the box office, but that type of generic midbudget film had been a tough sell prior to the pandemic.

Godzilla vs Kong performed in line with its predecessors.

Mortal Kombat did about as well as a million other would-be franchises from source material that wasn’t screaming for an adaptation or reboot.

Those Who Wish Me Dead was a nonstarter at the box office, but so have many of Jolie’s recent non-franchise entries.

These movies might have done a little better had they opened in a theatrical only environment with theaters at 100% capacity and with audiences unburdened by pandemic concerns, but that’s not the reality of the time they did open up in. I think something like Godzilla vs Kong did as well as anything could do right now and all of them did about as well as I would have guessed in a normal environment.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I’m not even convinced the day and date availability significantly affected the box office gross of anything they put out.

The cynic in me thinks they just wanna be able to write off as much as possible for their bottomline. Of course, they don't want to incur big losses if they don't have to, but as you essentially pointed out, they don't have that choice given the situation...

It may seem a bit counterintuitive to the avg person, but that's apparently just business (and accounting, Wall St, etc), especially at such large scales w/ so many factors...

Why do you care as it was a benefit for those of us that are not comfortable going to the movie theater right now?

Actually, we should probably care to some (perhaps very small) extent... because stuff like this doesn't just happen in a vacuum nor are such "benefit" w/out any costs (direct or indirect)... BUT yeah, there's probably nothing of real significance any of us can do about it (other than how we might proceed for ourselves in some cases in some ways perhaps), so...

As usual, not saying *you* have to care of course... but I do find stuff like this -- though not necessarily every case of such (or to great detail anyway) -- can be useful to know or at least be aware...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, we should probably care to some (perhaps very small) extent... because stuff like this doesn't just happen in a vacuum nor are such "benefit" w/out any costs (direct or indirect)... BUT yeah, there's probably nothing of real significance any of us can do about it (other than how we might proceed for ourselves in some cases in some ways perhaps), so...

As usual, not saying *you* have to care of course... but I do find stuff like this -- though not necessarily every case of such (or to great detail anyway) -- can be useful to know or at least be aware...

_Man_
At my advance age, I care for things I can control now as I don't have the energy to care much more than that. It's what life has taught and left me with.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yes, and beyond the losses to the studio, there are those losses to theater owners and their employees who lose salary, and all the businesses near theaters (restaurants and retail) and their employees that lose sales and salary from fewer potential theater-goers.

There are lots of people hurt by loss of theatrical exhibition beyond the studios.

This is why I'm concerned about all the stories about people wanting to keep working from home even when we reach a point where people could be returning to their offices (which is coming soon in my area). There are businesses all around that depend on commuters and employees to drive their sales (convenience stores for morning coffee, restaurants for lunches and dinners, retail stores nearby where employees run errands convenient to their workplace).

This would fundamentally transform the economy and the business landscape of many local areas. Those businesses have been trying to hang on by their fingernails in anticipation of people eventually returning to "normal" working hours commuting to their offices.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The name of the new company that combines Warner Media and Discovery has been announced.

Ready for it?

Warner Bros. Discovery. Their tagline, “The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of.” With the sky and clouds background it looks like the WB Shield should be there..

1622603818264.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks