HBO Max HBO Max - AT&T / WarnerMedia's Streaming Service (Official Thread)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I hope more posters with HBO Max can comment about the "Mister Roberts" stream.
I looked at some of it projected. If I were to guess, I would say it’s a new master and a likely Archive Blu-ray candidate. It’s not perfect as I see some fringing that is probably inherent in the original photography. I think perhaps a lack of sharpness from the original photography may be what is leading Tino into thinking it‘s an upscale.

• Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
My thoughts on "Mister Roberts"--- my point of comparison isn't the DVD but the version on TCM. TCM periodically airs "Mister Roberts" which I have attempted to watch on TCM HD, including within the last 6 months. I have never gotten beyond the first 10 minutes due to the picture quality; it looked like upconverted SD to me. The version on HBO Max is a significant improvement over the TCM version (I watched both on a 77" LG OLED). The HBO Max picture quality isn't ideal, but I didn't expect perfection due to the usage of Warner Color. Warner Color has made certain WB films of that era a chore to watch, especially in HD (e.g., those lengthy shots in "Giant" leading into and out of dissolves).

• Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Upon further inspection of all three versions (HBO Max, iTunes, DVD) I agree now that the HBO Max version looks the best. It has better colors and more resolution. I’d be curious to know definitively if a remaster was done and how.

I stand corrected.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Upon further inspection of all three versions (HBO Max, iTunes, DVD) I agree now that the HBO Max version looks the best. It has better colors and more resolution. I’d be curious to know definitively if a remaster was done and how.

I stand corrected.
If it ever gets released on BD then the press release and/or Feltenstein's podcast might give us some details.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... so which streaming service has the best version of Giant then?

I bought it during the last iTunes sale, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet... and it's on MA of course.

_Man_

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Hmmm... so which streaming service has the best version of Giant then?

I bought it during the last iTunes sale, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet... and it's on MA of course.

_Man_
Since Giant wasn’t released through the Archive, there is likely only one HD master which is the same on all services.

• Appreciate
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
So I subbed to HBO max for the Sole purpose of watching the Perry Mason Series. I had planned to get rid of it after I saw it. However, I Decided to hang on to it when I went through the list of Content. I am now watching the Flinstones (Even though I own it on Physical Media SD DVD ) Are they Eps for the Flinstones in HD on HBO Max? They look really Good ..

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Splendor in the Grass was shown when HBOMAX first started and then was gone. That's why I am hopeful since it is returning in November.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Man with the Golden Arm should be The Film Foundation restoration that was just shown on TCM. It's quite beautiful. 1.85 AR and better than the Network BD.

Reactions: jayembee

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
The Man with the Golden Arm should be The Film Foundation restoration that was just shown on TCM. It's quite beautiful. 1.85 AR and better than the Network BD.
Then I guess I'll wait. I was planning on ordering the Network release.

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I wonder when Dallas, Perfect strangers and Head of the Class will show up on HBO Max Now that I have it

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
This morning I just watched the iTunes HD digital of another WarnerColor movie "7 Men from Now" (1956) and the difference between the video presentation of that movie and "Mister Roberts" (1955) is significant to say the least. There is little doubt in my mind that the HBO Max stream of "Mister Roberts" is derived from a master/scan that's recently been made.
Yup, Mister Roberts is coming to Blu-ray! Looks like in December with seven other titles I'm purchasing.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13