HBO Max HBO Max - AT&T / WarnerMedia's Streaming Service (Official Thread)

JustARandomStan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stan
I've been out of the HBO Max loop for a while. Any improvement over the lack of classic TV shows on the service? I was severely disappointed at launch and within the first month and a half.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
So far, Mister Roberts and Nothing Sacred are still missing on HBO Max.
While "Mister Roberts" is still missing in action, "Nothing Sacred" showed up on HBO Max, but it's derived from the master used for the 2011 Kino BD and not their 2018 BD which is apparently a significant improvement over the former. Anyhow, this reminded me to watch that 2018 BD so I'll do that in the next couple of days.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just sampled Mr Roberts and while it looks good, I think it’s just an up conversion of the SD version.

Yup...just compared it to the iTunes SD stream and it’s virtually the same. :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Just sampled Mr Roberts and while it looks good, I think it’s just an up conversion of the SD version.

Yup...just compared it to the iTunes SD stream and it’s virtually the same. :(
A poster just stated in the Warner Archive thread that its a restored stream. I watched it this morning and thought it looked fine, but wasn't restored due to some blurry facial images that caught my eye.

• Agreed
Reactions: Tino

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A poster just stated in the Warner Archive thread that its a restored stream. I watched it this morning and thought it looked fine, but wasn't restored due to some blurry facial images that caught my eye.
Yeah. Definitely not restored (edit.imo.) The DVD actually looks the best uprezzed on our LG OLED.

Last edited:

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mister Roberts is now on HBOMAX. Looks fantastic!
I disagree. It’s the same SD transfer imo unfortunately. Not restored in any way. Looks the same. Just ok.

Edited to add imo.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope more posters with HBO Max can comment about the "Mister Roberts" stream.
I’m not sure when I’ll get the chance but it’s definitely on my “to do” list.

I recall back in the day Warner saying that there weren’t any great elements available for this film, and it also was made in the time of the dreadful WarnerColor process so my suspicion is that it’s both better than the old DVD but also nowhere near as nice looking as some other films just as a result of the way the film was originally made.

• Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Compared to the 1998 DVD it looks significantly better in my opinion.
I was going by memory regarding the dvd looking better than the iTunes stream. I’ll compare more later and see if I agree with you Robert since We have the same OLED.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I’m not sure when I’ll get the chance but it’s definitely on my “to do” list.

I recall back in the day Warner saying that there weren’t any great elements available for this film, and it also was made in the time of the dreadful WarnerColor process so my suspicion is that it’s both better than the old DVD but also nowhere near as nice looking as some other films just as a result of the way the film was originally made.
This morning I just watched the iTunes HD digital of another WarnerColor movie "7 Men from Now" (1956) and the difference between the video presentation of that movie and "Mister Roberts" (1955) is significant to say the least. There is little doubt in my mind that the HBO Max stream of "Mister Roberts" is derived from a master/scan that's recently been made.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhakarubneha