HBO Max HBO Max - AT&T / WarnerMedia's Streaming Service (Official Thread)

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I figured that was the case. I know Peacock has more subscriptions. Many older film are not being shown in their proper aspect ratio. There is no indication whether a film being shown is in HD. It's a bit sad....glad I have my library.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How are those of you who use HBO Max getting the app?

I just bought a new Roku earlier this year to get Disney+ connected, so I really don't want to buy another device just for the privilege of paying WB money when every other app I could want is accessible with the Roku. But I've heard good stuff about some of their content.

I'm hoping that now that Peacock has a deal with Roku, HBO Max will follow sooner than later.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert

I just bought a new Roku earlier this year to get Disney+ connected, so I really don't want to buy another device just for the privilege of paying WB money when every other app I could want is accessible with the Roku. But I've heard good stuff about some of their content.

I'm hoping that now that Peacock has a deal with Roku, HBO Max will follow sooner than later.
Jake,

You would think so, but it appears Warner and Roku are playing hardball in their negotiations.

• Agreed
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
And by the way, those new Warner Archive releases that just debuted on HBOMax a few months ago are already gone! Is HBOMax cycling out Warner-owned material that fast? I thought it was supposed to be like Netflix and Disney+ and carry stuff for long periods of time. It’s more like a cable channel where the lineup is only good for the month.
I'm not surprise those earlier titles were cycled out. I expect Flying Leathernecks to be gone to by November.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But aren’t there going to be 2 services under Warner Brothers for Streaming?
What's the other? If you're thinking about DC Universe, they're getting out of the streaming business and focusing on comics beginning in January. Their original shows will migrate to HBO Max. So WB now only has the one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Why do they need to cycle anything out?

(assuming they still have rights to the content)
A good question that I can't answer. Perhaps there is a finite number of titles that they can offer per month and/or contractual commitments to show movies that they don't own the rights to or it's simply their business model/policy to rotate movies they do own the rights?

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
What's the other? If you're thinking about DC Universe, they're getting out of the streaming business and focusing on comics beginning in January. Their original shows will migrate to HBO Max. So WB now only has the one.

Perhaps I misunderstood then. At one time, I thought there might be a Disney / Hulu type thing with HBO Max and a Separate App. In other words, HBO Max would have the content that isn't exactly family friendly and the other would contain the TV content and (Dukes of Hazzard, Hanna Barbara etc etc)

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
I get it through my Samsung smart TV. We have a subscription to HBO through Comcast, so HBO Max doesn't cost us anything (extra).

We also get Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, and Prime via the TV's apps. And BritBox. CBS AA we get as a Prime channel. Peacock we get on cable via Comcast. Some of the streaming platforms we can also get through Comcast, but they're easier to go through the TV than Comcast's cable box. We still don't have Apple TV+, but we'll add that eventually (probably when Foundation is ready to stream).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Well, perhaps your "classic movies" expectations are different than what some of us expect from HBO Max as I see at least a dozen great classic movies coming in October. Other people might have some other titles they want to add to my listing below. This streaming service isn't just for classic movie buffs as they are trying to appeal to a larger base of subscribers.

1. Ball of Fire, 1941
  2. Bombshell, 1933
  3. The Informer, 1935
  4. Libeled Lady, 1936
  5. Miracle of Morgan’s Creek, 1944
  6. Mister Roberts, 1955
  7. Mutiny on the Bounty, 1935
  8. Nothing Sacred, 1937
  9. Sands of Iwo Jima, 1950
  10. They Were Expendable, 1945
  11. The Thin Man, 1934
  12. The Wings of Eagles, 1957
I sampled all of the above titles except Mister Roberts and Nothing Sacred because they haven't been added to HBO Max yet which might happen later today. The HBO Max stream of The Thin Man and They Were Expendable looks like it was derived from the same master as the WA BD releases. By the way, my iTunes stream of The Thin Man is still derived from an older master and pales in comparison to what is on HBO Max. Also, The Wings of Eagles looks to be the same as my iTunes HD digital. I thought Ball of Fire, Bombshell and The Informer looked mediocre at best with my first glance at them. However, Libeled Lady is definitely ready for a WA BD release. It looked pristine.

Reactions: jayembee

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I haven't forgotten about Sands of Iwo Jima which allegedly starts today on HBOMAX.

Will probably watch it tomorrow

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_0216.jpeg

First-time watch on HBOMAX this afternoon.

The best way to describe this film is that if Spielberg had made a war film 49 years earlier, this would perhaps be it.

The most realistic WWII action movie I have seen. And, I realize I haven't seen many.

The archival war inserts in Flying Leathernecks were badly done. They took me out of the film. Sands of Iwo Jima managed to mesh that footage together with newly filmed scenes more seamlessly. The action scenes were incredibly realistic. This was a real war movie!

I remember Robert Crawford told me long ago that there were very few films that John Wayne got killed in. Didn't see it coming!

This could be my new favorite John Wayne movie.

Reactions: DavidJ

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtW34