HBO Max HBO Max - AT&T / WarnerMedia's Streaming Service (Official Thread)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sounds like a good bet; Million Dollar Mermaid is there and is coming as a WAC disc. Flintstones is there and coming as a set.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
Some new titles have been added to HBO Max. I'm thinking some of them are coming to Blu-ray in the near future. Particularly, Flying Leathernecks, The Candidate, Jim Thorpe All-American and maybe one or two Astaire & Rogers musicals.
Some folks over at br.com are looking at what pops up on HBO Max as an indication of what might show up on BD from Warner Archive,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Some new titles have been added to HBO Max. I'm thinking some of them are coming to Blu-ray in the near future. Particularly, Flying Leathernecks, The Candidate, Jim Thorpe All-American and maybe one or two Astaire & Rogers musicals.
Today, Amazon posted an inactive link for "Flying Leathernecks" with a release date of September, 15th. The same for "Bad Education".

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Some folks over at br.com are looking at what pops up on HBO Max as an indication of what might show up on BD from Warner Archive
For ex., their selection of vintage Looney Tunes isn't complete, but the lesser-known titles strangely coincide with the lineup available on the upcoming Bugs Bunny 80th Anniv. edition.

Those with Disney+ might also want to keep an eye on what vintage remastered titles may or already have surfaced as Disney Movie Club exclusives, just sayin'...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I genuinely don’t understand why Roku feels it is entitled to money for the apps. I mean, do you send the maker of your disc player a check every time you buy a new disc? Do you send the maker of your TV a check every time you watch a new channel? Of course not. Roku makes hardware. You bought the hardware. That should be the end of their financial stake.
The difference is that the manufacturer of a disc player doesn't need to provide continuous ongoing support in the form of a platform. Aside from periodic firmware updates, the manufacturer's commitment ends once the box leaves its factory.

When you buy one of these set top streaming players, you're not just buying the device, you're buying the platform and ongoing support that powers the device. Google and Apple are also content sellers, so maintaining the platform is just the cost of doing business. But Roku needs ongoing revenue to sustain it once it has reached saturation with hardware sales.

That being said, the longer the standoff lasts, the less leverage Roku has and the more leverage that the content provider has. By not featuring an app at launch, Roku and Amazon significantly hampered the roll out of the affected services. But if services succeed anyway, then over time it's going to hurt hardware sales as consumers gravitate toward the devices that support all of their desired streaming services. Either these services will fail, or they will become sufficiently popular that the streaming boxes will ease off on their demands in order to make a deal happen.

I have a HTPC as part of my setup, so I can stream HBO Max content using that. My only frustration is that it doesn't have a standalone app like most of the other streaming services do. So I have to use one of my browsers to access the content, and navigate using keyboard and mouse rather than my HTPC remote.

Then again, I never understood why broadcast networks felt entitled to payments from cable and satellite providers for over-the-air broadcast channels that are freely available either.
The introduction of retransmission fees was directly tied to the collapse of broadcast advertising revenues. Simply put, the networks could no longer survive on advertising revenues alone. Even in their diminished state, they were the most watched channels. Consumers wanted the local broadcast networks as part of their cable package, so the presence of those channels increased the value of the cable package. In major metropolitan areas, you can get a lot of channels free over the air with rabbit ears, but that is not the case for vast stretches of the country.

Reactions: Randy Korstick

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
A handful of Elizabeth Taylor films will start streaming on HBOMax tomorrow, September 1st, including these four which have never been released on Blu-ray:

Lassie Come Home
Life with Father
Little Women
BUtterfield 8

If someone can take a look and let me know whether they look like new masters and potential candidates for Warner Archive Blu-ray releases, I'd be very grateful. I'm in Canada and we don't get HBOMax here.

Thanks! :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
A handful of Elizabeth Taylor films will start streaming on HBOMax tomorrow, September 1st, including these four which have never been released on Blu-ray:

Lassie Come Home
Life with Father
Little Women
BUtterfield 8

If someone can take a look and let me know whether they look like new masters and potential candidates for Warner Archive Blu-ray releases, I'd be very grateful. I'm in Canada and we don't get HBOMax here.

You have a winner with Life With Father. Looks brand new, rock-solid and free of specks. Little Women is exactly the same as the very good transfer that is on iTunes. Butterfield 8 and Lassie Come Home are old speckled transfers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert

Lassie Come Home
Life with Father
Little Women
BUtterfield 8

You have a winner with Life With Father. Looks brand new, rock-solid and free of specks. Little Women is exactly the same as the very good transfer that is on iTunes. Butterfield 8 and Lassie Come Home are old speckled transfers.
After browsing all of the new September HBO Max titles my thoughts are here.

Reactions: Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
After browsing all of the new September HBO Max titles my thoughts are here.
Thank you both for taking the time to check for me! I really appreciate it.

That's great news about Life With Father! I had my fingers crossed on that one. The master TCM shows, while based on the UCLA restoration, is ancient and in SD, and not up to HBOMax's standards. I wasn't sure we'd ever see a new master of this film as it's in the public domain. It will be the first Elizabeth Taylor film in Technicolor on Blu-ray, should one indeed be released.

I'd read that there's a gorgeous DCP for BUtterfield 8 making the rounds so a little disappointed there, but I hope we'll see it someday.

Thank you again! :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They still need (full) Roku support. Any news on that?

I can't really use it w/out Roku support... though I would consider getting an ATV4K whenever the next new version (w/ better H/W) comes out...

_Man_

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dav