What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps people misunderstood the situation and thought "Gone With The Wind " was no longer going to be available anywhere which makes the previous toilet paper reference quite appropriate. Like the old days with the Disney Vault. I've posted this clip before .

Last edited:

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
I really don't get the whole fuss about the GWTW situation.

They took it down and will bring it back with a disclaimer and maybe a discussion panel that will well... discuss the stereotypes presented in the film. From all the articles that I've read, all very reputable sources and with direct quotes by the HBO Max people, it's pretty clear that the film won't be edited. It would just be presented with additional information and content regarding its own depiction of the racial divide presented in it. I think that it is valuable that they do that. If the anti - racism message reaches more people, then why not?

So, all in all, people are flipping out over nothing. And the ones screaming "censorship", clearly have not read the articles, just the titles.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
So, all in all, people are flipping out over nothing. And the ones screaming "censorship", clearly have not read the articles, just the titles

I saw numerous press accounts of it yesterday where they said HBO Max was pulling it but made no mention of the fact that the move was temporary. It's hard to blame someone who might have only seen one of those half reports. I think that's might have been the driver of all of this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw numerous press accounts of it yesterday where they said HBO Max was pulling it but made no mention of the fact that the move was temporary. It's hard to blame someone who might have only seen one of those half reports. I think that's might have been the driver of all of this.
It kind of infuriated me when I observed such reporting!

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
You have to remember too there are so many different ways people hear about news nowadays - Facebook posts... Tweets... where there is essentially only "headline" and no article to read.

I saw one Tweet that said something like "HBO is pulling GWTW I bet Blazing Saddles will be next." If that's how you found out - with no further information on the story unless you decided to do a deeper dive elsewhere - you're going to have a much different reaction to the story than we in this thread did...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There is also a stubborn refusal among a certain percentage of the media consuming population to understand that a subscription streaming service is not meant to be a perpetually available library of all content ever created, and that content frequently rotates. They are choosing to inaccurately view a film disappearing from the service as being the same as someone breaking into your home and stealing something off your shelf, when the reality is it’s the same as HBO deciding not to show a movie on their TV channel this week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is also a stubborn refusal among a certain percentage of the media consuming population to understand that a subscription streaming service is not meant to be a perpetually available library of all content ever created, and that content frequently rotates. They are choosing to inaccurately view a film disappearing from the service as being the same as someone breaking into your home and stealing something off your shelf, when the reality is it’s the same as HBO deciding not to show a movie on their TV channel this week.
I think it's simpler than that, I think it's just plain ignorance. And, those that do know better are using it as a lightning rod for further discussion of a larger issue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I just read an article that "Gone with the Wind" might return to HBO Max as soon as next week with somebody providing an introduction to the movie. I hope they add some closing comments too similar to what Eddie Muller does with film noirs and what Bob Osborne did for many years on TCM.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have owned Gone With The Wind since it was released on home video in numerous formats and I don’t believe I’ve actually watched it from beginning to end.
Wife and I a few years ago finally sat down and watched it beginning to end.
Was the last time we ever need to watch it.

I don’t see the acclaim.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I don’t see the acclaim.
Over many years, I've seen similar comments about many iconic movies. IMO, it's due to circumstances, expectations and simple subjectivity.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

I don’t see the acclaim.
Over many years, I've seen similar comments about many iconic movies. IMO, it's due to circumstances, expectations and simple subjectivity.
I've had a similar response to Citizen Kane and that was after seeing it for the first time in a movie theater after its restoration.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

HBO GO goes away on July 31. HBO Now will be called HBO.
As HBO Max is currently not available on Amazon Fire or ROKU, I am not sure how HBO GO users will be able to access HBO MAX on their TV if they are not an AT&T brand subscriber or have a Samsung Smart TV from 2016 or later.

Also not stated is if HBO Max will be available for free for all HBO cable subscribers as HBO Go is. Unless something has changed I believe not all cable companies had deals to offer HBO Max for free though many such as Verizon did.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
HBO GO goes away on July 31.
As HBO Max is currently not available on Amazon Fire or ROKU, I am not sure how HBO GO users will be able to access HBO MAX on their TV if they are not an AT&T brand subscriber or have a Samsung Smart TV from 2016 or later.

Why didn't they start with this 2 weeks ago!?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I've had a similar response to Citizen Kane and that was after seeing it for the first time in a movie theater after its restoration.

I've also only seen Citizen Kane and GWTW once each (from beginning to end), and yeah, neither would currently rank amongst my favorites. Same could be said for a bunch of other famous, highly regarded classics...

BUT I don't intend to give up on them after just one (complete) viewing... or likely even after another 2 or 3... well, at least in the case of Citizen Kane anyway -- one can only afford to give a 4-hour epic so many uninterrupted tries afterall.

Some art just require additional efforts to "get"... though of course there's no guarantees we should or will all eventually "get" them... And then, of course, there's also what @Josh Steinberg pointed out about one of GWTW's claim to fame (not to mention other similar classics)...

I didn't use to "get" opera (and atonal music in general) either back during most of my 20's when I was digging more and more into classical music in general, but that has changed over time as I gave them more tries... although I still haven't even been able to listen to Bartok's violin concerti w/out feeling a bit of nausea or getting a slight headache as recently as a few years ago -- odd how disorienting(?) they are for me unlike any other music I've heard, including some of Bartok's other works. But I keep trying every now and then as I get around to them anyway...

Anyhoo...

_Man_

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I tried to watch Gone With The Wind once as a teenager and made it about 40 minutes in. That was it.

Then last year it was $5 on iTunes and I bought it. I watched it start to finish, virtually uninterrupted one Sunday afternoon in January, and thought it was terrific. I'm not sure how often I'll watch it, but I understand why it's a well regarded movie. And while it's not a reliable US history lesson (after all, it's not a documentary) it is a time capsule for the era in which it was made, as all movies are.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I tried watching it on video at least half a dozen times as a young kid and always got bored within the first half hour. When it came back into theaters around 1998, I went and saw it as a teenager and the combination of seeing it on a big screen and being a captive audience member who couldn’t just flip it off caused me to pay attention and contemplate it in a way I hadn’t before. It’s not a film I revisit often, and when I do, I often find that it’s Clark Gable’s charisma and his character’s scripting that holds my interest most of all.

But I’m also an outlier in that I was a ten year old who loved collecting VHS tapes of old movies and loved taping 50s and 60s shows off TV. Most people aren’t looking that far behind their daily lives when it comes to finding something to put on.

I would be willing to bet that in the year 2020, the number of people who have actually seen GWTW is only a small percentage of the number of people who have an opinion on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks