What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
As was pointed out with the removal of films on June 1, this most likely is when HBO's license for these films expire. Even though they are Warner Bros films, HBO still has to license them as if they were a different company. Revenue and expense related to transaction are netted out in consolidated financial statement for those who are accountants.

I am certainly aware of the reason they're leaving, but it's still an eye opener.

The titles I listed are only a partial list. Half of their DC titles gone after only 1 month? Get longer licenses for heaven's sake...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am certainly aware of the reason they're leaving, but it's still an eye opener.

The titles I listed are only a partial list. Half of their DC titles gone after only 1 month? Get longer licenses for heaven's sake...

I would assume the licenses started before HBOMAX existed and were original for HBO, HBO GO, and HBO NOW etc.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I would assume the licenses started before HBOMAX existed and were original for HBO, HBO GO, and HBO NOW etc.

Again, I'm aware of all the reasons this is happening. We've been talking about it since True Lies left. I'm just saying that HBO/WM should not have put themselves in a position where marquee titles, ones highlighted in all of their advertising, are announced as to be leaving 2 weeks after launch.

And yes, I also know titles were always supposed to rotate in and out, but something should have been worked out to keep these particular ones there a *bit* longer than this.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s less weird than it sounds.

HBO Max includes it’s own library but it also includes access to everything on HBO Now. True Lies was a title that HBO licensed for the cable channel (and by extension, the Go and Now apps) for a fixed period. That period ends June 1st.

If you look at the list of movies on the site, some note “HBO” under the title. Those titles will leave the service once the HBO cable channel’s license for them expires. Things without “HBO” under the title should be on the service indefinitely.
Well, apparently that's not true with some of the DC stuff leaving by July 1st as they don't have "HBO" under the title either. I'm sure they'll be coming back soon, but if I was paying for this service on its own, I would be pissed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Not sure what the point of questioning these movies leaving is since we know why. They aren’t being “pulled” the way Gone was pulled.

It’s the contractual obligation.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Not sure what the point of questioning these movies leaving is since we know why. They aren’t being “pulled” the way Gone was pulled.

It’s the contractual obligation.

Once again, everybody here knows the reason this is happening.

The "point," as you put it, is just to point out that a new contract not having been worked out for these titles, within the same corporation I might add, so that it's most advertised characters could last longer than 1 billing cycle, is a huge fumble on HBO/WM's part.

I don't know why you would question someone making that point.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
But as has been pointed out many times before, subscription streaming isn’t meant to replace or be comparable to ownership; it’s the replacement for linear TV (whether that be broadcast, cable or satellite). This is no different than a TV station deciding not to show a certain movie or show anymore; it doesn’t take away the consumer’s ability to rent or purchase that specific title.
Thank you, but those that try to demonize streaming will continue to do so by fostering this false narrative about streaming by conflating subscription streaming like HBO Max & Netflix to streaming services like iTunes and Vudu.

I do wonder though how safe our digital ownership is w/ iTunes and Vudu in this regard. Sure, things will likely have to get much worse (and probably involve very significant changes in laws) before that's truly threatened, but...

I suppose if it ever comes to that and whatever new laws don't allow grandfathering of our ownership of such, they might allow us some (viable) way to download a permanent copy of whatever affected content before removing from their service. But then again, who knows since they also don't really give us choices when it comes to which transfer is actually available...

In the end, it's still best to have physical media for whatever one deems very essential and not rely on digital quite that much me thinks...

_Man_

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I do wonder though how safe our digital ownership is w/ iTunes and Vudu in this regard. Sure, things will likely have to get much worse (and probably involve very significant changes in laws) before that's truly threatened, but...

I suppose if it ever comes to that and whatever new laws don't allow grandfathering of our ownership of such, they might allow us some (viable) way to download a permanent copy of whatever affected content before removing from their service. But then again, who knows since they also don't really give us choices when it comes to which transfer is actually available...

In the end, it's still best to have physical media for whatever one deems very essential and not rely on digital quite that much me thinks...

_Man_
iTunes lets you download in HD right now. My entire collection is downloaded and backed up.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This story sounds fishy, as in, I highly doubt HBO is erasing and burying Gone With the Wind for all time. It probably popped on June 1st automatically or something, and when people started bitching, they thought better and simply pulled it for awhile. It's as dumb to me as radio stations not playing "Big Ol' Jet Airliner" after 9/11, even though we all agree that was a good thing because that song is fricking horrible.

I personally couldn't care less about Gone WIth The Wind but is anyone that can't comprehend the horrible attitudes of the era (when the movie is set and when the movie was made) even going to watch it? Pulling it seems like a useless gesture.
And GWTW also has the first Academy Award-winning performance by a black woman. It sure ain't "woke," but it is a piece of film history.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This story sounds fishy, as in, I highly doubt HBO is erasing and burying Gone With the Wind for all time. It probably popped on June 1st automatically or something, and when people started bitching, they thought better and simply pulled it for awhile. It's as dumb to me as radio stations not playing "Big Ol' Jet Airliner" after 9/11, even though we all agree that was a good thing because that song is fricking horrible.

And GWTW also has the first Academy Award-winning performance by a black woman. It sure ain't "woke," but it is a piece of film history.
And that same black woman wasn't allowed to sit with her castmates from that same movie during that Oscar ceremony.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
But as has been pointed out many times before, subscription streaming isn’t meant to replace or be comparable to ownership; it’s the replacement for linear TV (whether that be broadcast, cable or satellite). This is no different than a TV station deciding not to show a certain movie or show anymore; it doesn’t take away the consumer’s ability to rent or purchase that specific title.
When a friend of mine gave away all of his Disney movies that his kids had on VHS and DVD, I asked him why. his response - "I signed up for Disney+, and they are all available on that service. This was a perfect opportunity to reduce the clutter in my house."

As we have seen, even Disney+ has rotated some titles out of the service, at least temporarily due to licensing issues.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In the end, it's still best to have physical media for whatever one deems very essential and not rely on digital quite that much me thinks..

Nothing is infallible.

I have a disc collection that’s in excess of 1000 titles. In my recent project to rip them all to hard drives, I’ve discovered a not-insignificant amount that have become unplayable through no fault or action on my own. They’re not made with an expiration date but they’re not made to last forever either.

I’ve also been collecting digital music and movies for over a decade. I’ve never had a digital item I’ve paid for vanish from my library. What generally happens is that if a title I own goes out of print, I can watch it but new customers can no longer buy it.

My point isn’t to demonize any one format or type of collecting, but simply to point out that none of this is infallible and there is no one stop shopping option that will forever eliminate the possibility of needing to buy something again. The best bet anyone can probably make at this point is a disc and digital combo pack that includes a code backed by Movies Anywhere.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
iTunes lets you download in HD right now. My entire collection is downloaded and backed up.

But don't those downloads still require use of iTunes or AppleTV, ie. Apple authorized playback software/devices, for actual playback? Also, can they be played back w/out any internet access (eg. for whatever authentication/authorization/verification process)?

I would think if it ever comes to the point where Apple intends (or is forced) to remove all access to specific content in such manner and for such reasons, they may very well also render already downloaded content unplayable on their software/devices (perhaps starting w/ the next software update, if authorization via internet is not needed)...

Of course, if it ever comes to that, access to specific (censored) parts of our digital libraries might well be the least of our concerns...

Anyway, not sure I see much reason for downloading everything to be backed up (unless one expects Apple or the iTunes bizz to go belly-up soon). I can see it for specific cases like To Catch A Thief due to the recent controversial new transfer (that apparently hasn't hit iTunes yet) or perhaps whatever one deems most essential and likely frequently revisited (and so deserve the extra effort)... assuming Apple won't likely render old downloads of such unplayable, but not in general.

Still, maybe this should be factored into my choice between iTunes and Vudu going forward...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Nothing is infallible.

I have a disc collection that’s in excess of 1000 titles. In my recent project to rip them all to hard drives, I’ve discovered a not-insignificant amount that have become unplayable through no fault or action on my own. They’re not made with an expiration date but they’re not made to last forever either.

I’ve also been collecting digital music and movies for over a decade. I’ve never had a digital item I’ve paid for vanish from my library. What generally happens is that if a title I own goes out of print, I can watch it but new customers can no longer buy it.

My point isn’t to demonize any one format or type of collecting, but simply to point out that none of this is infallible and there is no one stop shopping option that will forever eliminate the possibility of needing to buy something again. The best bet anyone can probably make at this point is a disc and digital combo pack that includes a code backed by Movies Anywhere.

True that.

I'm not looking to demonize either. And agreed that our general best bet is to get disc+digital combo packs -- the quality on disc is also usually (at least somewhat) better anyway...

Unfortunately, that's not always possible or feasible... especially w/ older catalog titles (and even some new titles on top of some not so old ones)... and the industry is trending further in that direction...

_Man_

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

With the exception of what seem to be single copies being offered — and immediately snapped up — on the site, Victor Fleming’s Civil War-era film has sold out in every format.

The 1939 classic shot to the top of Amazon’s bestseller list overnight and is currently occupying the number 1 slot as well as the number 8 slot and the number 9 slot. It did so in different iterations: DVD, Blu-ray and the 70th Anniversary Edition.

It is also sold out at Walmart, Best Buy and Deep Discount. It is available as part of the blu ray box set "The Golden Year 1939." Only one copy of that at Amazon but readily available at other internet sites.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It's also now #5 on iTunes. Boy that worked out well for WB...

E9FA7908-0AD5-4BD6-A95E-C48D0307F682.jpeg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wonder what's the actual sales volume though... Wonder if it's more indicative of low volumes for the industry across the board...

How many people are even aware that HBO's services pulled GWTW, if they even cared??? Did every other subscription service actually do likewise?

_Man_

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Wonder what's the actual sales volume though... Wonder if it's more indicative of low volumes for the industry across the board...

How many people are even aware that HBO's services pulled GWTW, if they even cared??? Did every other subscription service actually do likewise?

_Man_

It's definitely pretty telling that it's selling as well as it is compared to the competition. Surely the movies it's beating, like Star Wars, have plenty of sales volume.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

It says "Gone With The Wind" DVD is the best seller on a list that is updated hourly. It is also # 8 for the blu ray and #9 for 70th Anniversary DVD . At this writing it has sold more copies,over an unknown period, maybe a day, then Twilight 5 disc blu ray set, Top Gun 4K, and Star Wars : The Rise of Skywalker Blu Ray among others . As GWTW is sold out it will probably drop off the list soon as no copies are currently being sold as they are not allowing the out of stock items to be ordered.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

With the exception of what seem to be single copies being offered — and immediately snapped up — on the site, Victor Fleming’s Civil War-era film has sold out in every format.

The 1939 classic shot to the top of Amazon’s bestseller list overnight and is currently occupying the number 1 slot as well as the number 8 slot and the number 9 slot. It did so in different iterations: DVD, Blu-ray and the 70th Anniversary Edition.

It is also sold out at Walmart, Best Buy and Deep Discount. It is available as part of the blu ray box set "The Golden Year 1939." Only one copy of that at Amazon but readily available at other internet sites.
Were they including a free roll of toilet paper with each purchase? ;) It certainly seems odd that a catalog title that's been available for so long would suddenly sell like that just because it was removed from a streaming service. You would think that anyone who cared would already own a copy on some disc format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks