What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Am I correct in understanding that some titles are not even on the brand new service for a full week?

That is some strict curation policy.

it has nothing to do with it being on a new service, it’s still Hbo just with more stuff.
Obviously their contract for True Lies is expired.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s less weird than it sounds.

HBO Max includes it’s own library but it also includes access to everything on HBO Now. True Lies was a title that HBO licensed for the cable channel (and by extension, the Go and Now apps) for a fixed period. That period ends June 1st.

If you look at the list of movies on the site, some note “HBO” under the title. Those titles will leave the service once the HBO cable channel’s license for them expires. Things without “HBO” under the title should be on the service indefinitely.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

HBO Max includes it’s own library but it also includes access to everything on HBO Now. True Lies was a title that HBO licensed for the cable channel (and by extension, the Go and Now apps) for a fixed period. That period ends June 1st.

If you look at the list of movies on the site, some note “HBO” under the title. Those titles will leave the service once the HBO cable channel’s license for them expires. Things without “HBO” under the title should be on the service indefinitely.
A great observation!:thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

One word of caution, there are a number of "HBO" movies that have the same "HBO" designation so I'm not expecting those movies to disappear any time soon.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
One word of caution, there are a number of "HBO" movies that have the same "HBO" designation so I'm not expecting those movies to disappear any time soon.

Agreed. The HBO original movies will probably stay there forever. And the licensed stuff will all have different terms.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Agreed. The HBO original movies will probably stay there forever. And the licensed stuff will all have different terms.
Man I wish By Dawns Early Light was available. It’s an HBO film. A terrific nuclear war thriller starring Powers Boothe, Rebecca DeMornay and Martin Landau. I have it on DVD and rewatch it often. It’s tremendously powerful.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Im frustrated that the app isnt available on my lgtv and wont load on my xbox one S.

But I can be patient because the original Rutger Hauer version of the Hitcher is available!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
On the HBOMax app on my Apple device, everything is listed as HD. That can’t possibly be true as a lot of these shows have never been mastered in HD. Stuff like The Flintsones, Josie and the Pussycats and Sex in the City.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hopefully this will be if some help...

I did what the instructions indicated earlier today with no luck but I finally got it to work a bit ago. There is plenty on the service we will watch, I think. I would not pay $14.99 a month for it, however, and it’s ridiculous to me that they aren’t UHD ready at launch.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Oh if only streaming 4k worked outside of 2-3 major markets.

...siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.
????

Streaming in 4K works just about anywhere, as long as you have a fairly decent Internet connection. I have no issues streaming 4K material, and I doubt I'm in one of those "2-3 major markets" of which you refer.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Quote that was in a CNET article this morning:

"A spokesperson for HBO Max told CNET that '4K HDR, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos are on our roadmap' but didn't specify when those advanced audio and video formats would be available."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some movie titles leaving soon:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
For some reason, I thought the DC Universe streaming service was to be part of HBO Max. I probably read that wrong along the line.

Looks like if you want the DC Universe content, they'll leave most of those shows on DCU so you can just subscribe to both! I wouldn't be surprised if they rotate other things on and off of HBO Max onto their other streaming services.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks