What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I tried watching it on video at least half a dozen times as a young kid and always got bored within the first half hour. When it came back into theaters around 1998, I went and saw it as a teenager and the combination of seeing it on a big screen and being a captive audience member who couldn’t just flip it off caused me to pay attention and contemplate it in a way I hadn’t before. It’s not a film I revisit often, and when I do, I often find that it’s Clark Gable’s charisma and his character’s scripting that holds my interest most of all.

But I’m also an outlier in that I was a ten year old who loved collecting VHS tapes of old movies and loved taping 50s and 60s shows off TV. Most people aren’t looking that far behind their daily lives when it comes to finding something to put on.

I would be willing to bet that in the year 2020, the number of people who have actually seen GWTW is only a small percentage of the number of people who have an opinion on it.
I thought I watched it as a child, but perhaps not as I might be mixing that up with the Million Dollar Movie on Channel 9 that played the theme music as its opening. I did see it on network TV when I was in college as it was broadcast over two nights in the mid-1970's. The next time I watched the entire movie again is when I bought the Beta tape in the mid-1980's. Followed by a DVD viewing and Blu-ray viewing over a couple of sittings. I watched bits of it on TCM and other channels over several years. If it ever plays again in a movie theater, I will force myself to go in order to see it again in one viewing. One of my best friends loves this movie. I'm not in love with it, but, there are film sequences that I really do like more than other sequences.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I think GOTW works better as sensory overload then as a narrative work, and this is coming from someone who saw the film in a terrible print in 1998.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But as has been pointed out many times before, subscription streaming isn’t meant to replace or be comparable to ownership; it’s the replacement for linear TV (whether that be broadcast, cable or satellite). This is no different than a TV station deciding not to show a certain movie or show anymore; it doesn’t take away the consumer’s ability to rent or purchase that specific title.

I actually had never seen it described like this before, since the great unwashed masses out there beyond these forums do consider streaming to be the be-all end-all replacement for ownership.

But the "replacement for TV" makes more sense. Well, TV or rental. But let's focus on the TV comparison. Comparing it to a modern OTA TV/Cable network makes it make sense for me. In the olden days, Nick at Nite would drop episodes that they felt showed subject matter that didn't agree with the network. There were Facts of Life episodes I never saw until the DVD release in 2014 because of that.

So, if Netflix is dropping It's Always Sunny episodes or UK Gold is dropping Fawlty Towers episodes, it's the same thing as when Nick didn't show the episode where the girls smoked dope or Natalie lost her virginity.

But it still points to owning a physical or digital copy if possible being the superior option if you feel that passionately about a show or film.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So what exactly is AT&T doing? Are they just going to merge Go and Now subscribers into one?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
So what exactly is AT&T doing? Are they just going to merge Go and Now subscribers into one?

Go wasn't something you subscribed to. It was an app you used if you got HBO through your cable and wanted to watch it on a mobile device. Now subscribers basically just became Max subscribers. There's really no need for Now at this point.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Go wasn't something you subscribed to. It was an app you used if you got HBO through your cable and wanted to watch it on a mobile device. Now subscribers basically just became Max subscribers. There's really no need for Now at this point.

Yes. there is a need. Its called Roku and only because AT&T bungled that deal.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Yes. there is a need. Its called Roku and only because AT&T bungled that deal.

We'll sure, TODAY there is a need for it - I'm talking about what direction they are headed in the future with their services, which is what I thought your question was about...

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
TCM's Jacqueline Stewart will be providing the introduction to Gone With The Wind when it returns to HBO Max.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
How did AT&T bungle the deal? They've offered the app to Roku. Roku won't allow it. They insist on it being a "channel" because they want to take a percentage of the monthly subscription.

I'm confused by this. Aren't all the paid streaming services handled that way? Isn't the preexisting (about to be phased out) HBO Now also handled that way?

Is Roku demanding significantly higher fees than usual or even what's presumably existing for HBO Now? IF not, then seems fair to blame this on AT&T... unless the fees were always too high...

Anyway, I just canceled my subscription since there's not enough to keep me paying regularly essentially just for HBO Now on Roku...

_Man_

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
So the important info from Cranston37's post is that DC movies will rotate in and out of HBOMAX.

Starting July and continuing through December, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Justice League, Wonder Woman Suicide Squad, Superman: The Movie, Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV, Superman Unbound and the Watchmen movie will be available on HBOMAX. I guess the question is which version of Superman II they will have, original or Donner cut.

Earlier this month, HBO Max said that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Justice League, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman would be departing the platform on July 1. But due to popular demand, the titles will remain on the streamer alongside the newly announced titles. However, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Catwoman, Jonah Hex and The Losers will still be leaving on July 1.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I found the TCM Classic Festival discussion of GWTW a well done extra that seemed like what you would find as bonus feature on a media release of the film. The Hattie McDaniel short has run on TCM for years and has been used on TCM to promote an upcoming film on TCM that features Ms. McDaniel. The intro to the film was similar to any hosted intro to a film shown on TCM.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I thought Prof. Stewart did a fine job balancing the issue with a call to keep the movie intact. Hopefully that will put the whole issue to rest.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I don't think any of the films on HBOMAX have extras like you find when you purchase a streaming copy on Itunes though I haven't checked every film on the service. Which is perhaps why nothing was added to GWTW when HBOMAX was launched. When John Ridley ("12 Years A Slave")wrote his op ed piece in the LA Times asking that the film be removed for now, HBOMAX responded by removing the film and then adding content, already produced, plus a new introduction. I see this as a way of addressing a complaint brought to their attention.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Many movies do have extras. Mostly short making of videos.
A handful include extended cuts.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Heads up for HBO GO users on Roku. While that app is being sunsetted at the end of next month, there is now a workaround. When you register your account on HBO Max via your browser you will be asked to provide a new email and password (instead of say your ATT.net thing). This email/password com will not only allow you to access HBO Max but will also HBO Now as well which is NOT being discontinued as you know.

Roku sent out a fearmongering email to try to gin up anger at AT&T over HBO GO. Egg meet face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks