What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Well, that's probably not gonna be a surprise to many, but still a bummer. I just don't see any streaming service paying the music fees. Sadly, it seems that this wonderful show will remain without a proper physical or on demand release forever:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After watching "True Lies" today, I found the 5.1 audio lacking as I really had to turn up the audio level on my receiver. Anybody notice that on other movies?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
After watching "True Lies" today, I found the 5.1 audio lacking as I really had to turn up the audio level on my receiver. Anybody notice that on other movies?
I had HBONOW for a year which ended last year and I have it for a month now since I found out the hard way that I can't watch HBOMAX on Roku. I have always found the movies to be at a lower volume on the service than Netflix, Disney+, DVD or Blu Ray. I usually have to turn my receiver up by 6-7 to equal my normal volume. So I think its just an HBO thing.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I see all the modern Dr Who series have been added along with the Sarah Jane show. Not sure if they were added as of June 1 or were available at launch. I looked for Dr Who last week and didn't see it. I might have missed it. Torchwood was available at launch.

The classic Looney Tunes , Popeye , and Tom and Jerry cartoons just seem random selections. The Yogi Bear show is available without, apparently, the theme song . Got to love the Hanna Barbera theme songs.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see all the modern Dr Who series have been added along with the Sarah Jane show. Not sure if they were added as of June 1 or were available at launch. I looked for Dr Who last week and didn't see it. I might have missed it. Torchwood was available at launch.

The classic Looney Tunes , Popeye , and Tom and Jerry cartoons just seem random selections. The Yogi Bear show is available without, apparently, the theme song "He will sleep till noon but before its dark, he'll have every picnic basket that's in Jellystone Park...."

I thought I saw Dr Who last week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well has anybody besides myself been watching this new streaming service? I have to admit that the lack of 4K and Atmos has limited me to what I would watch if those were available to us.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I have been watching it and enjoying it. The breath of what they are offering from movies, TV series, and cartoons is great. I am a superfan of most things TCM so this service is fantastic for me. I wish they could include the Robert Osborne hosted film introductions. Enjoying catching up on the older HBO stuff they offer. Like the British TV series I am less familiar with. I haven't watch them but got a laugh when I saw all the various international versions of the Bachelor they offer. Their DC offerings are currently slim but I imagine they will grow when licenses expire and depending how long DC Universe survives as a separate streaming service and/or how much of what is on DC Universe is exclusive to that streaming platform.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Well has anybody besides myself been watching this new streaming service? I have to admit that the lack of 4K and Atmos has limited me to what I would watch if those were available to us.

I previously had paid $14.99 a month for HBO Now, so it was a no brainer for me to switch to HBO Max for $11.99 a month. But I’ve been moving and staying with relatives recently and I only grabbed my Roku on the way there - and since the Max app doesn’t work with Roku, I haven’t seen any of the Max offerings yet. Once I get my new home set up and my AppleTV plugged in, I’ll take a look at the Max offerings.

But I’m not really looking for anything from this service; it just made financial sense to get Max since it had everything on Now. I imagine I’ll treat it like I treated Now; when there’s something I want to see, I’ll activate the subscription, and when there’s nothing I want to see, I’ll cancel it until the shows I like come back. I view Max as the bonus here and not the star of the show.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

I guess I'm watching it no more or less than I ever watched HBO before.

The way I look at it, I'm getting the same service I always paid $14.99 for and was always happy with, but now when I go into it I have more choices. The 4K thing really doesn't affect my viewing any more than it ever did because it never had 4K.

If last week I had moved to an upper tier HBO for more money, I would probably say it wasn't worth the change, but I'm basically getting an improved product for the same price, so no complaints here.

Here's an interview with the head of HBO Max which addresses many issues...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Basically the same (as Josh) for me since I mainly only use a Roku for streaming -- and also can't actually make use of 4K (yet)... unless my Roku can somehow downconvert for better quality than the HD stream, which I'm not aware any Roku apps do...

I could probably stream on Windoze or my iPhone, but... that's not particularly appealing to me, especially when I already have waaay more than enough other content I'd like to watch on disc or via Roku in my HT...

So yeah, I've just been using the legacy HBO Now service to catch up a little bit on existing programming (so far) since reactivating (and made sure we watched True Lies before its departure)... and may simply deactivate again after the month unless there's fully functional Roku access to Max... I'll have a bit more time to watch stuff on HBO's service when my CBS All Access trial ends in a few days... but even if I had full access, at least some of the more interesting content overlap w/ Criterion Channel, so...

_Man_

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Like Josh said above.....I was already paying $15 for HBO so it was a no-brainer to get this and save $3/month in the process. What I've been watching:

1) The new series Love Life with Anna Kendrick is quite enjoyable. I like having a show in my rotation with a 30 minute running time, so this fits that bill quite nicely.

2) Some of the classic films that I don't own but have always wanted to see (example: Cool Hand Luke). There are also some Criterion titles here that are not currently on The Criterion Channel.

3) I just recently got into John Cassavettes and there's a few of his films on here that I've not seen.

4) The new Looney Tunes shorts. I've only sampled these so far just to see what they are like, and I'm pretty pleased with what I saw. I think these new cartoons are the unsung hero of the service. No one is talking about this and this is the most new Looney Tunes cartoons that have been made in decades.

5) I own most of the Studio Ghibli titles on Blu-Ray, but there are a few in here that I don't and I've never seen. I'll be getting to those in the coming weeks.

6) Lastly, I'm catching up on old HBO Series (which I also would have done with HBO Now).

I can't complain at all, especially since they are paying me $3/month to upgrade.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks