What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I tried contacting Verizon Fios to see if any deals were pending allowing access to HBO MAX to existing HBO subscribers and got no where. The automated chat kept answering my questions as if I was asking about HBO GO. I then thought I was chatting with a real person but it ended the chat when I asked about HBO MAX. I will probably drop HBO from Verizon for HBO MAX streaming but will wait until May 26th just in case there is some deal announced.

HBO Max does have a deal with Verizon Fios...

A5AFF964-377C-4B69-B04D-4BF8EEDFEF0B.jpeg

Last edited:

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
As of today, it appears that HBOMax will not be available for Roku or Amazon. It’s my understanding the Warner’s only want it as an app and not a channel. Hopefully this will be worked out by the 27th.
Best
Greg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When all is said and done, it’ll be on every platform that HBO Go and Now are currently on, because they simply cannot afford to lose out on the audience share Roku and Amazon-backed devices cover, and the brand confusion that would result in having this HBO but not that HBO on the same device could be near fatal.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
HBO Max does have a deal with Verizon Fios...

View attachment 72928

Wow! Thanks for the information. When I saw your post I searched the internet and found the Warner Media Press release.

WarnerMedia Bolsters HBO Max Launch with New Distribution Partners

Altice USA, Cox Communications, Microsoft, NCTC, Samsung, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Verizon Sign to Distribute HBO Max Beginning May 27

May 20, 2020 – WarnerMedia
, a division of AT&T Inc., announced today a robust slate of new distribution agreements that will make HBO Max, the company’s highly anticipated streaming platform, widely available to customers at launch later this month. Covering a range of categories and platforms, including cable and broadband operators, gaming consoles and connected TVs, the newest companies to sign on to distribute HBO Max at launch include Altice USA, Cox Communications, Microsoft, National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC), Samsung, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Verizon. These companies join AT&T, Apple, Charter, Google, Hulu and YouTube TV in offering HBO Max to their customers at launch.
HBO Max will debut May 27, 2020 with 10,000 hours of curated content and a programming lineup that offers something for everyone in the home. Anchored by the entire HBO service, the platform will also include an exciting roster of new original series, fan-favorite series and films from across WarnerMedia’s rich library and key third-party licensed programs and movies. HBO Max will be available from WarnerMedia at $14.99 per month.
“The launch of HBO Max is an important milestone for our company, and we’re excited that these valued partners will be on board for the launch,” said Rich Warren, president of WarnerMedia Distribution. “Through our expansive distribution pipeline, millions of customers will have immediate access to a best-in-class streaming experience come May 27.”
Detailed information about each distributors’ offering for HBO Max is as follows:
Altice USA has signed on to distribute HBO Max, giving all of its existing Optimum and Suddenlink HBO and HBO NOW subscribers immediate access to HBO Max and its expanded programming offering at launch. HBO Max will be available to these customers in addition to their existing HBO linear and on demand services and at no extra cost. Customers will be able to access HBO Max by downloading the app or accessing it on desktop and logging in using their Altice One, Optimum or Suddenlink credentials. Altice’s remaining and new customers will be able to purchase HBO Max directly from the company as part of a cable TV package, as an add-on to a video package, or as a standalone streaming service available to internet-only customers.
Verizon has signed on to distribute HBO Max to customers through its Fios TV and Fios Internet services. All of Verizon’s existing Fios customers who subscribe to HBO or HBO NOW will get immediate access to HBO Max at launch and at no extra cost. HBO Max will be available to these customers in addition to their existing HBO linear or streaming services. Those customers can use their Fios login credentials to access HBO Max either on supported devices through the app or via desktop. Verizon’s remaining and new Fios TV and Fios Internet customers will be able to purchase HBO Max directly from the company, as an add-on to video services or as a standalone streaming service available to internet-only customers.
Cox Communications, the largest private telecom provider in the U.S., will give all of Cox Contour’s existing HBO subscribers immediate access to HBO Max at launch and at no extra cost, in addition to their existing HBO linear and on demand services. Customers will be able to log into the HBO Max app on supported devices or access it on desktop and log in using their Cox account credentials. All remaining and new customers will be able to purchase HBO Max directly from Cox.
HBO Max will be made available at launch to independent cable and broadband operators – such as WOW!, Atlantic Broadband, RCN, Grande Communications & Wave, and MCTV, among others – through a new agreement with NCTC, on behalf of its 750 member companies throughout the U.S. and its territories. Existing HBO customers of the participating NCTC member companies will be given access to HBO Max at launch at no extra cost and new customers will be able to purchase HBO Max directly through their cable or broadband provider. The offering will then roll out more widely in the coming months, with additional member companies having the opportunity to provide the offering to their customers. For a full list of NCTC’s member companies, visit nctconline.org.
HBO Max will be available on PlayStation® 4 systems at launch. PlayStation® users in the U.S. who subscribe to HBO Max will be able to download the HBO Max app via the PlayStation®Store and access its full programming slate directly through their consoles for a seamless viewing experience beginning May 27th.
Users of Microsoft’s popular Xbox One gaming consoles in the U.S. who subscribe to HBO Max will be also able to access the platform at launch. The HBO Max app will be available on current Xbox One consoles and via the Microsoft Store on day one.
Finally, HBO Max will now be available through select Samsung TVs, bolstering the platform’s U.S. distribution to include a television manufacturer at launch. Owners of Samsung smart TVs – models from 2016 through 2020 – will be able to download and purchase HBO Max directly, offering another seamless viewing option for customers looking to access this best-in-class content experience.
In addition to including HBO favorites, Max Originals available at launch include Love Life, On the Record, Legendary, Craftopia, Looney Tunes and The Not Too Late Show with Elmo. Throughout the summer, new Max Originals will debut, including Karma, an original second season of the critically acclaimed DC fan favorite Doom Patrol, an original second season of Sesame Workshop’s animated series Esme & Roy, the return of the critically beloved mystery comedy Search Party, Adventure Time: Distant Lands- BMO, the three-part documentary series Expecting Amy, the adult animated comedy Close Enough, the 1988-set comedy Frayed, the heart-warming British animal rescue series The Dog House, the generational family docuseries The House of Ho, the animated children’s series Tig N’ Seek, and Seth Rogen’s feature length comedy An American Pickle.
More information about HBO Max is available at www.hbomax.com/.

Here is the article about ROKU still negotiating to carry HBO Max and what the sticking points are and how it most likely will not be on Fire TV at launch. Glad I have a 2016 and later Samsung Smart TV so I don't need to be concerned about this. Hopefully there will be no glitches when Samsung updates it's available apps.

Last edited:

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Alright, people! Tomorrow's the big day. Fingers crossed it has a good amount of classic TV & Film content although the wording "we are a curated service" that I heard Bob Greenwald say on a podcast about HBO Max today worries me greatly.

You can find the podcast here -

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Alright, people! Tomorrow's the big day. Fingers crossed it has a good amount of classic TV & Film content although the wording "we are a curated service" that I heard Bob Greenwald say on a podcast about HBO Max today worries me greatly.

You can find the podcast here -

I think people are going to be disappointed if you think this streaming service is going to be heavy on classic TV & Film beyond the last 20 years or so. They will have some classic movies and perhaps a few TV shows, but this isn't going to be TCM 2 when it comes to the classics.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think people are going to be disappointed if you think this streaming service is going to be heavy on classic TV & Film beyond the last 20 years or so. They will have some classic movies and perhaps a few TV shows, but this isn't going to be TCM 2 when it comes to the classics.
At least not out of the gate.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It is certainly worth noting though that TCM and Criterion both have a presence on HBO Max, so classic movies do appear to be important to them. How much of a presence we will have to see...

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan

Some of Warner's biggest TV & Film hits are 25 - 30+ years old. I really don't think that they are not gonna put Growing Pains and GIlligan's Island on, just because they're 30+ years old.

I'd like to think that If Warner Archive has it restored and released, then there's a gread chance that it's gonna be on the service. Especially the classic sitcoms and animated TV shows.

Also I've seen quite a few pre - launch lists and content drops lists for June and there's quite a few classic movies and shows there. It will probably take time, but I am hopeful, if slightly worried.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It is certainly worth noting though that TCM and Criterion both have a presence on HBO Max, so classic movies do appear to be important to them. How much of a presence we will have to see...

Right, that is the question that needs to be answered. I'm adjusting my sleep hours as I want to be up when it launches.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of Warner's biggest TV & Film hits are 25 - 30+ years old. I really don't think that they are not gonna put Growing Pains and GIlligan's Island on, just because they're 30+ years old.

I'd like to think that If Warner Archive has it restored and released, then there's a gread chance that it's gonna be on the service. Especially the classic sitcoms and animated TV shows.
As some of us already know, Warner Archive titles have not been made available on other services. It's our hope that Warner Archive titles derived from the latest masters are available on this one. Fingers crossed!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
As some of us already know, Warner Archive titles have not been made available on other services. It's our hope that Warner Archive titles derived from the latest masters are available on this one. Fingers crossed!

Just be cautiously optimistic. It may take some time for the vault to open up. I'm thinking that at first they might bank on well known films and shows to be able to attract the general audience, while still providing us classic film and tv buffs with enough meat on the bone to keep us satisfied. And maybe a lil down the line they'll start expanding their classic offering even further.

Otherwise it would seem that they closed off Filmstruck (and in before that, The Warner Archive streamer) just for the hell of it to fork us over.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
That's a great list of 3rd party movies. Many I thought would only be on Disney + or Hulu.
Based on this list I guess they have deals with Sony, Paramount, MGM (United Artists), Disney , and Universal.
Still waiting to see if they will include some of the 1950's TV shows that were included in the Warner Archive streamer. Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, 77 Sunset Strip, Cheyenne, Bronco etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks