What's new

HBO HiDef...coupla questions (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I have read at various times that HBO HiDef while nice and all...is pan and scan and spotty quality at best. Having just gotten the kick ass DISH HD reciever...I am consdiering subscribing. So..how does it look?
------------------
"The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
David Manning-Critic
Scooter-Palooza 2..Be There or Be Square!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../030866.html#5

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
HBO does not do OAR on movies, so this becomes a bother on 2.35x1 content. Showtime does OAR, but a lot of their programming is upconverted from standard definition.
HBO, on the other hand, has BAND OF BROTHERS and THE SOPRANOS in high definition. Springsteen was broadcast in high definition. Madonna wasn't.
The high definition content consistently looks good to me, although I don't care for the pan&scan content.
At one time, I had both HBO and Showtime. I dropped Showtime in favor of HBO's original content.
Dish also has a full-time HD-PPV channel, but there's not a lot of variety. There's also a demo channel that is way overdue for a new demo.
- Steve
[Edited last by Steve Tannehill on September 22, 2001 at 05:40 PM]

Alan Markow

Agent
I have Direct TV and watch HBO HD. Although the OAR is not precise, they do not squeeze the image into a 4:3 pattern, but stick with a 16:9 ratio for films. The quality varies. Some HD films, such as What Lies Beneath, seem better than others. I was disappointed in X-Men. I've been disapppointed in Sopranos (although I haven't seen new ones, just first year re-treads), but very happy with Band of Brothers.
The other Direct TV channel carries HDNet, which is a thrill-a-minute for HD owners. On my 120" screen, it's like looking through the proverbial window.
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks