What's new

HBO going all out for "Rome" (1 Viewer)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
From what I have seen so far with "Rome" and "Empire"...these two shows are not even on the same field. I think "Rome" will be a brutally realistic interpretation of Ancient Rome.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Justin, I have combined your existing threads on this series. All further discussion (at least until the show airs) should go here.

M.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"HBO launches the epic 12-episode drama series Rome on Sunday..."

Abotua month ago,I read somewhere the 12 episode idea has been dropped and we can expect this show to go on for a few seasons. I think! 4 or 5 were mentioned.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
All it took was a simple search for "rome".

And if you know you've started a prior thread, you can always find it by using the "find threads started by" link in your own profile.

M.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I think the biggest advantage of HBO's show is its on HBO. Thus allowing the full brutality and sexuality that occured in Rome. That is something ABC's version cannot fully show.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Anyone sensing an elephant in the room?

I love The Sopranos as much as anyone, haven't missed an episode, passionately defended the 'dream' episode on more than one occasion. But given Sophie's choice, I'd have to pick Deadwood over it.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
I agree, John. I realize the article was written last Fall, but I think Deadwood made enough of an impression after its first season to warrant mention in the article as one of HBO's top brand names (after all, Entourage had only finished its first season and she mentioned that).

Back on topic...I'm really looking forward to Rome. I am hoping that it will be that raw reality that we have come to respect from Deadwood (I realize it's different players bringing us Rome, but the quick previews have struck me the same way). Can't wait!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I guess thats why the show was pushed back to Fall.

Thanks for the info.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
It will be very interesting to see if HBO can get away with uncensored raw brutality and sexuality with this new series.

I think probably not: because HBO is producing this series in conjunction with the BBC (which will show the program over-air in the UK), it will probably be a bit toned down by BBC censors--unless HBO produced two different versions simultaneously like they did for Sex and the City (which allowed that program to be shown on TBS).

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
^^I was not aware that their was a difference between a Euro broadcast and HBO. I have been to England more times than I can count to visit relatives and I have always been amazed what they show on standard television in Europe compared to the U.S.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I believe "Oz" was shown uncensored OTA in the UK. If that show can be shown I don't see a problem with "Rome."

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
British television tends to be infinitely more squeamish about violence and much less so about nudity. (I almost typed "sex", but the fact is American television isn't particularly squeamish about sex. Everything this side of beastiality is pretty common on much of primetime TV - to say nothing of the afternoon soaps - and even beastiality gets an airing on some of the tabloid talk shows. It is just the explicit visuals the American TV still (mostly) avoids.)

Even shows like Babylon 5 got material cut - often no more than a few seconds - when they aired on Britains commercial Channel 4 that presented no problem for American TV channels. (One scene involved a knifing where the actual stabbing is never shown. They just trimmed it to make it less intense - and coherent - skipping the shot where the victim, almost in shadow, doubles over and I think one more where we see blood on the knife in the attackers hand. This on a show that aired after 10 pm.)

So expect plenty of skin and Roman debauchery in the British version, but don't be surprised if the battle and gladiator scenes seem a bit muted.

Regards,

Joe

SarahG

Second Unit
After reading a bit more about this, it looks kinda cool. I'll probably be checking it out. I've been happy with the little streak that HBO's got going, especially as Entourage's story is opening up, so I'll be into this. Nice variety of shows too. This only adds to the mix.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Joseph, it all depends when it's shown. The censorship you mentioned was because the shows aired before 9.00 - traditionally taken as the 'watershed' on UK TV. Unless there is lots of head-butting (which Brit censors take great exception to, for some reason) chances are that the scenes will be left intact, especially as the series has some educational merit.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It's going to be a fine line for me if the violence/gore and sexuality serves the plot I'm ok with it, if it is the plot then thats another whole thing. I don't think the wife will like this if it's ultra gory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks