HBO going all out for "Rome"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Justin Bauer, May 14, 2004.

1. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

EDIT:Merged thread. Check below for latest info.

Link

^^it is mentioned in article.

Has anyone heard about this? I love Ancient Roman history and have wanted HBO to make a miniseries on it for a long time now.

I was just curious if anyone else has heard about this or knows of a link to check out. Thanks.

2. Justin Bauer

"Rome"

Just found an article about it.

Looks really intersting. I hope it has the same HBO quality that Deadwood, the Sopranos, Six feet Under, and Curb have.

3. andrew markworthy

Justin, in the UK there was quite a bit of publicity about 'Rome' when the project was first launched last year, since it's a joint production with the BBC. Basically, it's seen as a updated companion piece (if that makes any sense) to I, Claudius, using far more realistic settings and concentrating on ordinary Romans rather than the top brass. I'm looking forward to it. Michael Apted has a long and generally distinguished directing career.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I'll definitely watch. There are quite a few movies of this era, and TV programs, which I wish were done.. differently/better.. (Last Days of Pompei, if I could find it anywhere, was good.. but could be better)

5. Justin Bauer

Nice. I cannot wait for this already. How is this going to air in the UK? With the BBC? I have alot of family in the UK, but I never think to ask them any of these questions.

6. andrew markworthy

Yes, it'll air on the BBC (generally the different UK channels make stuff for first viewing on their own channels, though there are some rare exceptions). I would guess over here 'Rome' will be shown in weekly installments, probably starting January next year (Jan-March is the time for biggest TV audiences in the UK). Generally the BBC are pretty good about tie-in programmes for new series, so I would guess alongside 'Rome' we'll either get specially-made historical documentaries, or otherwise repeats of well-regarded previous programmes on Ancient Rome.

7. Justin Bauer

sounds good

8. Justin Bauer

Saw the new preview tonight before Deadwood. Looks really good. I cannot wait till the Fall for it.

9. Justin Bauer

10. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Yes, I saw the trailer for the Roman series last night before Deadwood as well. I wonder who's doing it? In the extras that came on the season 1 Deadwood DVD's, David Milch said that his original plan for Deadwood, was for it to be set in Roman times. He said the people at HBO convinced him to change it to a western.

Sounds like someone stole David Milch's idea.

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Not if the new series is being developed as a furtherance of I Claudius, which was shown in 1976, with a very excellent cast that featured Derek Jacobi in the title role, Siân Phillips as his scheming (and evil) mother Livia and John Hurt as the scheming and crazed Caligula. TV at its best.

And just to go back a bit further, the BBC (shown here on PBS’ Masterpiece Theater series was based on two novels written by the poet Robert Graves: I Claudius and Claudius the God, the first being written in 1937.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Rutgar, I'm not 100% sure but I thought on the Deadwood DVDs, Milch says that he went to HBO with his idea for a Roman show but they were already developing their own. So he then took the themes that he wanted to explore and pushed the time frame up about 2000 years[​IMG]

13. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

That's possible. When I watched the Milch interview, I wasn't exactly taking notes. So I could be little mixed up.

14. Justin Bauer

15. AlexSchwarz

AlexSchwarz Stunt Coordinator

There it says "mini-series" again.... however, neither the trailer nor TV-Tome seem to concur. So what's it gonna be?

16. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah in the extras Milch mentions that Deadwood initially Started off in Rome

17. Justin Bauer

It is going to be a series. They only have it signed on for one season right now, but the creators have mapped out 5 seasons worth of episodes.

18. Justin Bauer

I am thrilled to see such an aggressive push for the show.

HBO's Rome

HBO's Rome Premiering on Aug. 28
    Source: HBO June 29, 2005

HBO launches the epic 12-episode drama series Rome on Sunday, August 28 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), with the episode entitled "The Stolen Eagle." Chronicling the fall of a Republic and the rise of an empire, the series debuts new episodes on subsequent Sundays at the same time.

In order to maximize subscriber viewing choices, each of the first three episodes will be scheduled so that it can be seen seven days a week at varying times on either HBO, HBO2 or HBO Signature. In addition, throughout the series run, the previous week's episode will air Sunday (8:00-9:00 p.m.) leading into the debut of that week's new episode.

HBO's next free preview, Sept. 3-7, will feature "The Stolen Eagle" and episode 2, "How Titus Pullo Brought Down the Republic"; and in a first-ever HBO On Demand exclusive, the third episode, entitled "An Owl in a Thornbush," will be made available beginning Monday, Sept. 5, in advance of its Sept. 11 debut on HBO.

The overall scheduling strategy for Rome represents the largest, most aggressive viewership campaign HBO has ever put together for a new series. Presented in much of the country to non-HBO subscribers through a free preview, as well as to current subscribers, Rome will be playing on three of HBO's plex channels, and on HBO On Demand. The total reach achieved for sampling should provide ROME with a strong opportunity to gather a regular audience in the weeks between the end of the summer cable season and the start of the fall broadcast season.

"Our goal is to put 'Rome' in front of every demo and every audience segment by appearing every day of the week and in all the appropriate timeslots from 8:00 p.m. to late night," notes David Baldwin, executive vice president, program planning, HBO. "HBO On Demand enables them to watch anytime they choose. This saturation sampling phase will be supported by HBO's legendary on-channel and off-channel promotion and awareness efforts, both for the launch on Aug. 28 and for the weeks following."

A co-production between HBO and the BBC, Rome began shooting in Rome in March 2004, with Michael Apted directing the first three episodes. Additional directors include Allen Coulter, Julian Farino, Jeremy Podeswa, Alan Poul, Mikael Salomon, Steve Shill, Alan Taylor and Timothy Van Patten. Production for the series is based at Rome's Cinecittà Studios, with additional locations throughout Italy.

Among the actors starring in the first season are Kevin McKidd as Lucius Vorenus, Ray Stevenson as Titus Pullo, Ciarán Hinds as Gaius Julius Caesar, Kenneth Cranham as Pompey Magnus, Polly Walker as Atia of the Julii, James Purefoy as Mark Antony, Tobias Menzies as Marcus Junius Brutus, Lindsay Duncan as Servilia of the Junii, Indira Varma as Niobe, Max Pirkis as Gaius Octavian and Kerry Condon as Octavia of the Julii.

Rome is a co-production of HBO and the BBC; co-creators, John Milius and William J. Macdonald and Bruno Heller; executive producers, Bruno Heller, William J. Macdonald, John Milius, Anne Thomopoulos and Frank Doelger; executive producer for the BBC, Lucy Richer; co-executive producers, Jim Dyer and Eugene Kelly; produced by Marco Valerio Pugini; production designer, Joseph Bennett; costume designer, April Ferry; casting, Nina Gold, Nina Gold & Associates.

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I gotta say that I am quite interested to see this show. I'm sure it'll be up to HBO's usual high level.

Now when the hell is Curb Your Enthusiasm coming back? [​IMG]

20. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

As a History major I am really looking forward to this, especially after seeing that dreck "Empire" that's showing on ABC.