What's new

HBO DD on DirecTV (1 Viewer)

Phil O

Agent
What is going on with HBO DD and DirecTV? They upgraded their channels 501 and 504 to DD capable. Now, the audio on these channels breaks up to the point of the sound being illegible. Saturday night...I was going to watch "What Lies Beneath". Turned it on and sound was absolutely horrible...could not barely make out a word they were saying. I'm wondering...is the problem happening to everyone?
The rest of my channels are fine...including STARZ! DD.
Is this a HBO problem? If so, then what are they doing about it?
Maybe I will call DirecTV and see if they know what is up.
Why the hell should I pay for channels with illegible audio?
Thanks but no thanks.
Phil

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Dont feel Bad, I dont think DISHNETWORK is doing DD on HBO yet?
frown.gif

I want my HBO in DD
angry.gif

------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

[Edited last by Todd Barattini on August 20, 2001 at 09:02 PM]

Mike I

Supporting Actor
So far HBO only has HBOHD with DD 5.1
------------------
[Edited last by Mike I on August 21, 2001 at 08:08 AM]

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Phil-
I have the same problem as you do. Sometimes the DD is fine, but other times it is so bad I have to switch to my non-digital connection and listen in pro-logic.
-Andy
------------------

=========
Andy Roth
My DVD List
=========

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I had to take my DBS receiver out of DD mode just so that I could watch these shows. When it's in DD mode, I get constant audio dropouts which make the shows unwatchable. You're definitely not the only one having these problems.

Frank_M

Stunt Coordinator
Same here.. using a Hughes Platinum DD box.
I called DirecTV last night, and finally got to a tech guy who told me;
a) HBO has been having this problem since the get-go on this;
b) they've gone through several transmitters trying to fix it, with each one causing different receivers to get the garbled signal (explaining why for some of us its a "new" problem, while others might now have seen improvement;
c) it has nothing to do with DirecTV nor with our receivers.
He told me there was one option, and started walking me through setup (I went along.. curious). Finally he said "Ok, now see where it says Dolby Digital? Turn that to "off" and you should be all set. As this is a family website, I cannot repeat my response to him.
I did, however, ask him if my problem would be reported to HBO, so they know my receiver is one that is not working under the current set up. He said, "I think so." I asked for a contact person at HBO (figuring, why not cut out the middleman since DTV has nothing to do with this). He told me he had no idea how to contact them. To which I asked "Well... then how are you going to tell them about my problem?" He had no response.
Anway... if anyone out there knows a way to contact HBO, that's where we're going to get real answers.
Of course, you could just set your Dolby Digital to "off" and that will fix all your problems! :)

Phil O

Agent
How's your HBO tonight? Mine sounds a lot better with no drop-outs. I'm still waiting on "What Lies Beneath" at 8 CST to check out the DD. Normally, I would be hearing drop-outs over my digital connection if there were still a problem. Last night, I had the problem where both DPL and DD were both breaking up. Usually, it's just the DD digital connection. I didn't try shutting off the DD satellite option, though. Keep that one in mind for next time
wink.gif
sounding better, Phil

Mark Tomlin

Agent
Last week, "Hard Knocks" was unwatchable with all of the audio break-up. Glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I didn't figure my reciever was bad because all other channels were fine. BTW- How do you turn off the DD option on the reciever? I'm sure I will figure it out by the time someone replies. I have a Sony A50 reciever.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks