What's new

Hazel season 2? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Why are we discussing things like abortion here?

And frankly, it's disgusting and shameful. I'd much sooner shake the hands of someone like Hermann Göring than anyone involved in this. What those kind did was horrible, but what the pro choice crowd has done as been basically an industrial revolution for the murder industry that makes Nazi Germany's death machine like amateurish in comparison.

It should be discussed, and if it isn't in Europe, shame on them (And not much of a shock coming from a part of the world that threw the world into the most devastating military conflicts in history barely 20 years apart). But it sure as heck doesn't need to be discussed here, in any shape or form.

Myself and others come here to listen to discussion on our favorite shows and we shouldn't have to encounter such things here. If I wanted to hear pro choice views, I'd log on to some news website and antoganize myself listening to the horribleness that goes on in this world today.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock
So in your estimation, wholesomeness and goodness with belief in supernatural beings are mutally exclusive and rejection of hocus pocus brainwashing is equated with all that is evil? Or did it never occur to you that these blatant displays of proselytizing might be offensive to those of us who find religious references inappropriate.
Why am I not surprised you feel this way?

I agree wholedheartedly with Joe's take on things and just leave it at that. Oh, and Leo is spot on as well.

Gary "I'll say nothing more because I'm pretty sure the discussion is getting way off topic" O.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Let me just say this and we're back on topic: I would kind of resent a box of tubes and switches telling me what I believe in is wrong as much as I would having my beliefs forced on anyone else. It is why I tend to shy away from anything religious on my blog on television. That and the Bishop Sheen archive is a mess.

Back on topic, I am sorry to confess I am not familiar with Hazel. It is one of those shows I just have never seen, even though it is on my "to-do" list. How does it stack up with programming I may know more about?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I believe discussing politics and religion is against forum rules and if it isn't, it should be. And this is coming from someone who was raised in the 60's and has a natural aversion to rules.

I confess that HAZEL is one of those shows that just merrily rolled along without me all these years so I can't attest to either its virtues or vices. Similar to HOGAN'S HEROES, which I have also barely seen, the premise and production of HAZEL has just never piqued my interest or attraction, for whatever reason.

I have seen one episode of HAZEL, an abysmal Christmas show wherein the father believes that Christmas is too much about materialism and wants to go back to the message and spirit of the holiday instead of just focusing on gift giving. I won't say how it turns out, but there was a scene with the mother crying because she wasn't going to get her fur coat for Christmas. Ugh, it was disgusting.

I'm more than willing to give the series a try though, but what exactly makes it appealing to those of you who are ardent fans?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Point-Blank
I believe discussing politics and religion is against forum rules and if it isn't, it should be. And this is coming from someone who was raised in the 60's and has a natural aversion to rules.
Yes, it's against our forum rules and it needs to stop now! Take it offline guys as those subject matters don't apply here. Thanks.

Crawdaddy

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Point-Blank

I have seen one episode of HAZEL, an abysmal Christmas show wherein the father believes that Christmas is too much about materialism and wants to go back to the message and spirit of the holiday instead of just focusing on gift giving. I won't say how it turns out, but there was a scene with the mother crying because she wasn't going to get her fur coat for Christmas. Ugh, it was disgusting.

First off, thanks to Robert for not allowing this thread to be sidetracked. And to Point-Blank for helping along those lines as well.

The Christmas episode you are referencing is pretty bad, Walker. I can't defend it at all. It was a fourth season episode and by that time some of the shine was definitely off the series. While it's no gem, I think the first season Christmas episode is better.

Gary "not sure what to compare this show to in terms of recommending it to someone" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Walker,

I recently bought the 1st season release at a bargain price. I recall the series from syndication on one of the nat'l channels, TV Land I believe. I liked the show but don't have an interest in collecting the series run. The 1st season was B/W.

I can't recall a close comparison to another series but the show is solid, just not one that I bought at release.

Just me but one season, maybe 2, is all I'd like to collect here.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
For me, the appeal of "Hazel" rests largely with the appeal of Miss Shirley Booth and the supporting cast in general. She's the boisterous, rough-hewn maid who butts into the personal lives of her employers to sometimes exasperating effect, but her heart of gold always wins the day. Don DeFore plays Mr. Baxter, her employer, as Oliver Hardy would have, with a pompousness that Hazel manages to deflate before the final fadeout. Whitney Blake (Meredith Baxter's real-life mother) is Mrs. Baxter, the perfectly coiffed lady of the house who has to play referee. She is one of the few wives from this era who has a job (she's an interior decorator). They have a son Harold who manages to avoid being too cute or too obnoxious but he's not dull either.

Maudie Prickett (the hotel maid in "North by Northwest") is Rosie, Hazel's answer to Ethel Mertz. She works for the daffy society couple who lives next door. Norma Varden, who specialized in daffy society ladies in "Strangers on a Train" and "Witness for the Prosecution" is Rosie's employer.

The writing was never anything extra special. Serviceable, formulaic sixties sitcom stuff, no better or worse than most sitcoms of this time. Shirley Booth is the whole show and she's a delight. Anybody who has seen her in "The Matchmaker" will know what I'm talking about.

If you like Shirley Booth, you'll definitely want to spend time with Hazel. If you've never seen Shirley Booth, you should avail yourself of the chance. She was a Broadway actress who won an Academy Award in 1952 recreating a Broadway role as a slovenly wife, lightyears different from Hazel, in "Come Back Little Sheba" and stayed in Hollywood long enough to do a couple of other films like "About Mrs. Leslie" before she fell into the role of "Hazel." Critics at the time decried the fact that such an esteemed Broadway actress and Oscar winner would stoop to playing in a silly sitcom, but Miss Booth cried all the way to the bank and earned far greater fame through the vast exposure of weekly TV than she ever had on the stage.

Hazel also has the distinction of being one of the earliest comedies to switch to color. Season Two will be 100% color for those who have an aversion to black and white.

BTW, Hazel is currently running on Antenna TV, a US digital channel.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Shirley Booth makes this show, and won the Emmy for the first two seasons. If you like her, you'll like the show. If you don't like her, you won't.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Agreed--there was a reason her name appeared before the title, aside from her esteemed status: Shirley was the show. I can't say that I'd like it any less if someone else played George, or Missy, etc.

It's hard to explain for those who haven't seen it. It's not the situations that make it so enjoyable, it's watching Ms. Booth work her magic with basic sitcom scripts. Her delivery is perfect and priceless. One line that makes me laugh every time I think about it is when Hazel begins telling a joke and Mr. B berates her: "Hazel, you've told that joke a dozen times" and her simple, sharp retort "Yeah--but I got a new endin'" doesn't sound like much on paper, but is hilarious to hear.

Shirley Booth was so talented she took what could have been a nagging, bossy, meddling pain and made her into a completely lovable character, someone whom viewers wished they could have in their home.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I also like the occasional visits from Mr. Baxter's sister, Deidre, played by Cathy Lewis. She is such a snob and she can't stand Hazel. She thinks the hired help should be seen and not heard. I love to watch her facial expressions whenever Hazel butts into her conversation to offer some helpful advice.

I'm glad to hear season 2 is finally in the works, but I'm a little less excited now that Antenna TV is airing this rare show and I finally get to see it. They just finished airing season 2 and are now on season 3. I've been recording the show daily, so I probably won't purchase it.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'll buy it but then again I buy every show from the 50s and 60s that comes out. But I find Hazel to be annoying and just wish the Baxters would tell her to shut and mind her own business. In the last season, did they really relocate to Saudi Arabia or did they just tell Hazel that so they could get away from her? Personally, for a show about a maid who runs a household because the family is made up of nitwits who can't do it themselves, I prefer Beulah.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by Kasey
Shirley Booth was so talented she took what could have been a nagging, bossy, meddling pain and made her into a completely lovable character, someone whom viewers wished they could have in their home.
That's exactly right. It's similar to what Lucille Ball did with Lucy Ricardo, who taken at face value was really an obnoxious person.

They originally wanted Thelma Ritter for the part, but she turned it down. They were very lucky; I doubt she could have made the character so lovable, the way Booth did.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Kasey
Agreed--there was a reason her name appeared before the title, aside from her esteemed status: Shirley was the show. I can't say that I'd like it any less if someone else played George, or Missy, etc.

It's hard to explain for those who haven't seen it. It's not the situations that make it so enjoyable, it's watching Ms. Booth work her magic with basic sitcom scripts. Her delivery is perfect and priceless. One line that makes me laugh every time I think about it is when Hazel begins telling a joke and Mr. B berates her: "Hazel, you've told that joke a dozen times" and her simple, sharp retort "Yeah--but I got a new endin'" doesn't sound like much on paper, but is hilarious to hear.

While Shirley Booth was indeed the heart and soul of the show, I think Don DeFore doesn't get the credit he deserves. He has the tougher role to play because he could all too easily become a tiresome blowhard. The chemistry he had with Shirley Booth, with its underlying deep-hearted respect for the other's opinion and worth, is what made the show work. When DeFore and Whitney Blake left the show, it sank like a rock. I don't recall the final season ever playing in syndication.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray
While Shirley Booth was indeed the heart and soul of the show, I think Don DeFore doesn't get the credit he deserves. He has the tougher role to play because he could all too easily become a tiresome blowhard. The chemistry he had with Shirley Booth, with its underlying deep-hearted respect for the other's opinion and worth, is what made the show work. When DeFore and Whitney Blake left the show, it sank like a rock. I don't recall the final season ever playing in syndication.
I agree! Don DeFore helped a lot in making this series work! I loved the relationship between George Baxter and Hazel! There many sparing moments with one another where Hazel most always takes the prize is fun to watch! And as Rob pointed out, I loved how much they really admired and respected each other underneath it all!! I am very glad that 'Season Two' is finally being released!!!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Gary OS
The Christmas episode you are referencing is pretty bad, Walker. I can't defend it at all. It was a fourth season episode and by that time some of the shine was definitely off the series. While it's no gem, I think the first season Christmas episode is better.
The trouble is, it COULD have been one of the best Christmas episodes of all time, but they took it in a direction that was just mind boggling, even for capitalist driven American television. A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS deals with some of the same issues as this misguided Hazel episode and does it right. I don't have your enviable expertise in Christmas themed episodes, Gary, but even with my limited exposure, I have to rank this one behind only the ugly, twisted, reprehensible UNTOUCHABLES Christmas episode as the worst holiday show I've ever seen.

As for the rest of Hazel, thanks to everyone who chimed in with their views, both pro and con. It sounds like a series I should probably try to get at a local library or see if a friend can loan me a copy so I can check it out. I wish I could just watch it on Antenna TV, which is available on a sub-station here in Los Angeles, but I can't get any digital channels because mountains block the signal where I live. Maybe a rooftop antenna would solve this problem, but I can't seem to work up much enthusiasm to buy and install one for just a single channel.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Can't wait for "Hazel" S2. Now if Shout! could just get the rights to the rest of "Green Acres."

Haven't they been releasing "Mr. Ed," another former MGM title? I'd think GA would be a bigger seller.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I can't imagine Green Acres being kept at rest forever. It's too popular to remain in limbo.

I suspect the rights holders (MGM?) consider it too valuable to license out (Or are asking too much for it) but felt like seasons 1-3 didn't sell quite like they had hoped to keep with it at the moment. I can't imagine it staying buried and with releases not being revived in the future.

I imagine someday they're going to decide that they're not going to do anything with it and start shopping it around to be licensed.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by LeoAmes
I can't imagine Green Acres being kept at rest forever. It's too popular to remain in limbo.

I suspect the rights holders (MGM?) consider it too valuable to license out (Or are asking too much for it) but felt like seasons 1-3 didn't sell quite like they had hoped to keep with it at the moment. I can't imagine it staying buried and with releases not being revived in the future.

I imagine someday they're going to decide that they're not going to do anything with it and start shopping it around to be licensed.

Well, I can't believe it has been over five years since the last release. You would think there would have been at ONE release within those five years. I guess the rural shows of the 60s (The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, The Andy Griffith Show/Mayberry R.F.D., ect) besides Green Acres haven't been popular enough either as they too haven't seen a season release in years.

cliff mac

Insider
We (Shout) were all set to do a deal for the series when MGM had it's financially problems. We hope the people overseeing the company now will allow us to license the show. It was going to be a "complete series" release.

Originally Posted by LeoAmes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks