What's new

Hazel season 2? (1 Viewer)

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any scoup on season 2 of Hazel.I am enjoying the first season dvd release so much. I am going through my third even fourth time around on some of the episodes.Hope we get season 2 soon.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Me, too, but I fearlessly predict that it won't happen. The place I got mine sold two out of twenty (one to me, one to my brother), and a month later it was knocked down to $17 and still sitting there. Like so many old shows, it's just too good to be successful today.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
A) It hasn't been run to death so the crowd that only buys shows they've seen 50 times over won't get it.

B) The first season is in black and white, personally a plus, but most under-30s won't even touch it.

C) There are no supernatural aspects to it, ala Bewitched, Jeannie, etc., making it a tougher sell.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
D) There's no bathroom or sexual humor in it, making it unpalatable to most of today's audience.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Love you guy's posts. Too many good quotes to include in this reply. Sad (for us older-series fans) , but true in a lot of cases. An interesting "generation-gap-oddity", but I've been showing my nephew a couple of the older series over the holidays, "Mission:Impossible", in particular, and he's crazy about that series. My nephew is a "Millinium" kid, born in '80. Sometimes the younger crowd will suprise us "dinosaurs" :) He also likes the original Dick Van Dyke Show.
Jeff "Sometimes Life Surprises Us" W.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
Joe Lugoff said:
D) There's no bathroom or sexual humor in it, making it unpalatable to most of today's audience.
Amen to that one!
I often marvel as I enjoy my 50's/60's era TV-DVD collection (Hazel, Gidget, Dick Van Dyke, I Love Lucy, That Girl, Andy Griffith, Doris Day, That Girl, Family Affair, Hazel, etc) just how VERY MUCH quality humor those shows found in every day life withOUT the incessant dwelling in the gutter which has become the mainstay of modern era sitcoms.
HOWEVER, I'm holding out hope for a second season release of Hazel. If the lesser known Flying Nun could get two seasons released, surely the MUCH longer running Hazel is worthy of the same...at least I HOPE so! :)

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Im sure they will eventually release more of Hazel...just may take a while....

Look at how they did Mad About You, Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley....

I was quite shocked to see even the first season come out.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Ollie said:
I often marvel as I enjoy my 50's/60's era TV-DVD collection (Hazel, Gidget, Dick Van Dyke, I Love Lucy, That Girl, Andy Griffith, Doris Day, That Girl, Family Affair, Hazel, etc) just how VERY MUCH quality humor those shows found in every day life within the incessant dwelling in the gutter which has become the mainstay of modern era sitcoms.
Yep! So true! AND it seems that a big part of humor these days when it isn't centered around bodily functions is nothing but mean-spirited put-downs. That was always an element of humor (Ricky vs. Mrs. MacGillicuddy, Darrin vs. Endora, Buddy Sorrell vs. Mel Cooley, Alan Brady vs. Mel Cooley, etc.), but it wasn't the main thrust of a shows humor before. Everything today is so cynical and nasty. Like you, I am amazed at how much humor (and gentle drama) was milked from so many different facets of life on these classic shows. It's certainly a shame that it appears to be a dead art.

Real Name
Dave Rinker
I love sitcoms from the 60's and 70's as well and hope more box sets become available in 2007.

I just bought Hazel (Season 1) from Amazon for only $10.50 and free shipping. I can't wait to see these old episodes once again.

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
i rember watching Hazel in afternoon reruns (the color ones) so i took a chance and got the first season on a buy one get one free sale. Hazel was
the freebie. i'm really surprised how much i actually like the show! it definitely
reflects a more innocent time, i mean did the Baxters really need a
live in maid?
anywhoo, now i will definitely get the 2nd season when (if) it ever shows up.
one episode that really surprised me was when Hazel got on her knees to pray
with the little boy in the series to thank God for letting him keep a dog.
i was so struck that would have played on prime time back then and no one
would have thought anything of it. then this sunday i watched Desperate
Housewives and wow what a difference 40 years makes!;)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
bobraleigh said:
One episode that really surprised me was when Hazel got on her knees to pray with the little boy in the series to thank God for letting him keep a dog.
i was so struck that would have played on prime time back then and no one
would have thought anything of it. then this sunday i watched Desperate
Housewives and wow what a difference 40 years makes!;)
Boy, isn't that the truth Bob! How things have changed (and not for the better, IMHO) on the television landscape in the last 40 years. I too have been struck, as I've watched so many older tv shows on dvd in the last couple of years, at the amount of praying, Bible referencing and church going that characterized so many series in the 50's and 60's.
One in particular that stood out to me was a 1st season episode of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea." Entitled "Cradle of the Deep" it dealt with a mad scientist who was attempting to speed up evolution. At the end of the episode we see Admiral Nelson reading a book. Captain Crane asks a question and Nelson responds by saying something to the effect of, "Perhaps the answers are found right here." He then begins to read from Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The show fades out from there. I doubt we'd see anything like that on a prime time show today!
Gary "the wholesomeness of these older series is a real draw for me - I'm so tired of all the coarseness in today's television" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
bobraleigh said:
it definitely reflects a more innocent time
The "old days" are usually referred to as "more innocent." I think of them as "less perverted." I mean, people knew about the darker side of life back then -- they just didn't revel in it as they do now. Entertainment was an escape from negativity -- a lot of it was actually inspirational. Now they focus on the negative and it's terribly UNinspiring.
I'm intrigued by the question "Did the Baxters really NEED a live-in maid." I do think a family would have to have been a lot richer and live in a larger house than the Baxters before they'd need such a maid. However, I suspect the creators of the show thought if the Baxters were too highfalutin, the mass audience would have been unable to relate to them. So they had to achieve a balance -- but the show does seem to portray the rather unusual phenomenon of a normal, middle-class family with a live-in maid! (I accept it, though, because the show was so well done and Shirley Booth's performance was so good.)

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
Its good to see other Hazel fans out there.Classic TV is the best. I really have been able to enjoy it so much more since the whole tv on dvd thing.Being able to watch these shows when I want too.And since they are not seen for the most part on tv anymore.dvd is the way.And of course I am always looking for that next annoucement.Which makes things exciting.

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
My kids love watching Hazel. Especially my 13 year old daughter. I vagully remember Hazel as a kid. No memory of episodes, I just remember Shirley Booth. So I bought it on a blind buy and I'm glad I did.

My kids agree with me that they just don't make shows like that anymore, and it's too bad. There isn't anything that we can watch together as a family. Once Touched by an Angel was gone there hasn't been anything safe.

So I'm grateful for DVD.

The family sitcom has all but disappeared. When I think of a show like "According to Jim" which is about a married couple who are always trying to put one over on the other, and the marriage is all about someone winning and the other guy losing, and then compare it to something like Hazel or Dick Van Dyke, then the classic show wins over everything. It's just plain funnier without making anyone look bad.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I think it's important to revive this thread now that Brian Ward on the Shout! Forums has announced that the rights to "Hazel" have finally been acquired and Season 2 should be out sometime in 2011.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
bobraleigh said:
Boy, isn't that the truth Bob! How things have changed (and not for the better, IMHO) on the television landscape in the last 40 years. I too have been struck, as I've watched so many older tv shows on dvd in the last couple of years, at the amount of praying, Bible referencing and church going that characterized so many series in the 50's and 60's.
One in particular that stood out to me was a 1st season episode of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea." Entitled "Cradle of the Deep" it dealt with a mad scientist who was attempting to speed up evolution. At the end of the episode we see Admiral Nelson reading a book. Captain Crane asks a question and Nelson responds by saying something to the effect of, "Perhaps the answers are found right here." He then begins to read from Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The show fades out from there. I doubt we'd see anything like that on a prime time show today!
Gary "the wholesomeness of these older series is a real draw for me - I'm so tired of all the coarseness in today's television" O.
So in your estimation, wholesomeness and goodness with belief in supernatural beings are mutally exclusive and rejection of hocus pocus brainwashing is equated with all that is evil? Or did it never occur to you that these blatant displays of proselytizing might be offensive to those of us who find religious references inappropriate?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I was around back then, and there were two major differences between then and now:

1) People were more religious and it permeated popular culture

and

2) People were more respectful of one another; they dressed better; they watched their language; kids didn't bring guns to schools; the crime rates were lower; the cities were safer; you never heard of road rage or someone killing someone because they butted in front of them in line; politicians were more open to compromise; abortion wasn't discussed, much less talked about constantly; humor on TV and in the movies didn't depend on sex and bathroom "jokes"; and I could go on and on and on and on ....

I can't believe there's not a connection between 1 and 2.

And here's the great irony: I'm not religious myself, because my psychology doesn't allow me to believe in the supernatural; however, the most charitable and caring people I know tend to be religious. If only people would live their lives according to the lessons of the Sermon on the Mount, we could make a much better world here.

And I'd rather have Jim Anderson or Ward Cleaver for my father than any of the disgusting characters you see on TV today: Wouldn't you?

And to put this back on topic: Wouldn't you love to have been raised with someone like Hazel in the house?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
I was around back then, and there were two major differences between then and now:

1) People were more religious and it permeated popular culture

and

2) People were more respectful of one another; they dressed better; they watched their language; kids didn't bring guns to schools; the crime rates were lower; the cities were safer; you never heard of road rage or someone killing someone because they butted in front of them in line; politicians were more open to compromise; abortion wasn't discussed, much less talked about constantly; humor on TV and in the movies didn't depend on sex and bathroom "jokes"; and I could go on and on and on and on ....

I can't believe there's not a connection between 1 and 2.

And here's the great irony: I'm not religious myself, because my psychology doesn't allow me to believe in the supernatural; however, the most charitable and caring people I know tend to be religious. If only people would live their lives according to the lessons of the Sermon on the Mount, we could make a much better world here.

And I'd rather have Jim Anderson or Ward Cleaver for my father than any of the disgusting characters you see on TV today: Wouldn't you?

And to put this back on topic: Wouldn't you love to have been raised with someone like Hazel in the house?
It depends on who you are and where you lived. Yes, for me, a white Jew living in New York, the 60s were great. And since television spent far more time raising me than my parents did, I was lucky to have Jim Anderson and Ward Cleaver. My father was more like Homer Simpson but not as involved as a parent. The 1950s dads were better role models but I certainly couldn't relate it to anything in the world I lived in. Those same charitable and caring religious people were the same ones enforcing segregation, turning on the fire hoses and bombing black churches. Two sides to every coin. For my money, all religions have one thing in common - the more devout a religion is, the more it subjugates women and enforces how women live and what they do with their bodies. When I was a kid, I remember going to Bar Mitzvahs where the kid's mother was behind a wall with the other women and couldn't even see her son give his reading.

As for abortion being discussed, outside of the United States, it was settled decades ago and isn't discussed anymore, as well it shouldn't be. But you can't praise how the country was more religious with one breath and then rail against discussing abortion with the next. Who do you think the people are for whom such a long decided matter is still an issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks