What's new

Disney+ Hawkeye (Marvel Cinematic Universe) (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
If this show continues to be as good as it is, it will be my top D+ MCU series so far out of the four. And yeah, that Larping scene had me laughing pretty good. When I saw the "NYC Larpers" sticker on the firetruck window I thought "no way will MCU go there"...and then....they did. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I fell asleep watching it. I'll try again, but I find the Hawkeye character to be the least interesting one out all of the Avenger characters.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finally got a chance to watch the first two episodes this afternoon. Really enjoying to so far. Marvel Studios still hasn't quite figured out the pacing for these series, which are more than a movie but ("Loki" aside) not quite a traditional TV series either. I think I was expecting over the top violence right out of the gate, and then got thrown when most of the first episode was just spent setting things up.

I do like the structure of this one better than any of the others so far, though. Both episodes ended on legitimately compelling cliffhangers.

There might be less to theorize about with this show because it doesn't involve multiverse shenanigans or world-altering stakes, but it feels great to be back in a part of the MCU we know.
I was someone who enjoyed the Netflix Marvel series, with their focus on street-level heroes in New York City, and this is the closest Marvel Studios has come to that. At the same time, those were really dark and serious at times and this show is thankfully a lot lighter.

Jeremy Renner has always been great as Clint, but because he doesn't have showy superpowers, he hasn't been in the center of the Avengers narrative. He is in the center now and he is making the most of it.
He's really good at playing the working stiff superhero. This whole affair is a massive inconvenience to him, keeping him from the family that the Blip had already kept him from for five years, and that colors so many elements of his performance.

The show is just as interested In Kate Bishop. I don't know her from the comics or anything because I don't read them, but Hailee Steinfeld is perfect in this part.
She was my dream casting for that role. Whether the scheduling issues surrounding "Dickinson" made it look like she wasn't going to close her deal, I was really bumped. She's got the comedic timing for the role, without undercutting Kate's intelligence. She's also tall and athletically built, so that when she's running around in purple spandex with a bow it doesn't look completely ridiculous.

The only big negative that jumped out at me as problematic is a spoiler for the end of the second episode.

When they revealed the woman in charge of the gang that kidnapped Clint and then ended without her saying anything, I was left confused. It made me wonder if we were supposed to recognize this character from the past, but I didn't. An online recap I looked at in confusion identified her as a new character.

It doesn't work quite effectively as a cliffhanger if you introduce someone with no explanation in the last few seconds of the episode. I am guessing that we are going to get more information about this character next week, but this felt like a really awkward introduction to me.
I sort of pieced together who she was from what the tidbits I'd learned following the show's production, but I don't think you needed to know who she was for the cliffhanger to work. The behavior of these big burly eastern European gangsters around and in relation to her makes it clear that she's important and dangerous.

"I can do this all...DAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!"
It was a delicious send up of all these pop culture-driven musicals in recent decades, and Clint Barton is perhaps the least receptive audience for that kind of product. It didn't help that they got things just right enough to trigger his PTSD over what happened to Black Widow on Vormir.

On another note: Do you all think Clint will make it home by Christmas or not?

He's obviously going to be cutting it close.
I think he has to, but I also think that he won't make it to his family until the last possible moment.

On a side note, I love that they brought back the actors who played his kids in Endgame, and that Linda Cardellini gets the special guest star credit.

This plays a lot like ABC's MCU shows like Agents of Shield and Agent Carter. Nothing groundbreaking, but entertaining if your expectations are throttled accordingly. Given the Christmas setting, they probably aren't looking to get too heavy or dark.
The writing and quality of the production are head and shoulders above "Agents of SHIELD" and "Agent Carter", though.

Clint is going deaf.
When Kate asks why, I loved the flashes back to all of the massive explosions that he was in the immediate vicinity of.

The fun and jolly vibe, with the Christmas setting and festive music, is similar to Die Hard’s.
I really loved the score for the first two episodes, which reminded me a bit of John Williams's score for Home Alone in the way that it wove in traditional Christmas songs.

And Kate is a resourceful, compelling character. Win-win-win!
Yes, the title sequence for the first episode did a good job of catching us up on the thirteen years between the opening sequence during the Battle of New York and the "present day" of 2025 in the MCU.

Her origin story is not dissimilar to Batman's: A very wealthy child whose sense of safety and security was absolute until it was ripped away witnessing a horrific parental death. When you see all of Kate's athletic accomplishments, it speaks to her natural talent and overwhelming drive to excel. But it's all basically a trauma response; her dad made her feel safe, and he died, so nothing is safe unless she makes it safe.

The Larping scene was one of my favorite things I’ve seen in the MC Universes.
That was so much fun and Clint was clearly having fun too and I loved when he told the guy to call him Clint.
I loved how the slow motion captured just how easy it was for Clint. He wades into the middle of an absolute maelstrom of swinging swords and not only doesn't get hit but in fact tags multiple opponents with each movement of his own sword.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I watched both episodes. I guess I was just tired when I tried watching it the first time. It was better than I expected; although, I don't find it all that funny.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well, I watched both episodes. I guess I was just tired when I tried watching it the first time. It was better than I expected; although, I don't find it all that funny.

I don’t think it’s a comedy.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don’t think it’s a comedy.

Jake Lipson pointed out the comedy of the show compared to a lot of Marvel Studios other product. It had its moments but I think there has been more comedy in other Marvel movies than in this series.

I'm trying to figure out who Jack is. What other Marvel villains used swords other than Deadpool?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought a lot of the banter between Clint and Kate was very comedic, although of course we had already seen a lot of it in trailers. Of course, the trailers will be very heavy on scenes from the beginning of the series because they won't want to give away more of the plot, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next that we don't already know.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think "Jack" is pretty clearly Jacques Duquesne, the Swordsman. All of the names fit, and in the comics he was both one of Hawkeye's mentors and his first enemy. Often depicted as a henchman of the Mandarin. Sometimes an outright villain, other times an anti-hero. The foreshadowing has not been exactly subtle.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think "Jack" is pretty clearly Jacques Duquesne, the Swordsman. All of the names fit, and in the comics he was both one of Hawkeye's mentors and his first enemy. Often depicted as a henchman of the Mandarin. Sometimes an outright villain, other times an anti-hero. The foreshadowing has not been exactly subtle.

Wild guess: Kate spends her time trying to unmask Jack as the central villain of the piece, when it turns out that it’s her mom masterminding everything.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wild guess: Kate spends her time trying to unmask Jack as the central villain of the piece, when it turns out that it’s her mom masterminding everything.
I'm thinking that too as some of her mother's reactions gives me an impression that something "dark" is within her.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

Yep although I don’t doubt that there is something nefarious about Jacque err I mean Jack.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That seems very possible but it also seems almost too easy/obvious.

I'm excited to see if you're right. though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking that too as some of her mother's reactions gives me an impression that something "dark" is within her.
Also, we know from the opening scene set in 2012 that the Bishop family was having money problems. Even assuming insurance covers damage from alien invasion, losing her husband and having half the family penthouse destroyed couldn't have helped the family's precarious financial situation.

Yet somehow Kate's mom has managed to maintain their lifestyle in all of the years since. We know from the auction that "Jack" isn't as well off as he wants to appear, or at least wasn't while his father was still alive and controlling the purse strings. So either Kate's mom wasn't marrying him for his money, which suggests that she has her own revenue sources for which Bishop Security is perhaps just the front, or she has ways of gauranteeing that "Jack" would be coming into his inheritance imminently.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yep although I don’t doubt that there is something nefarious about Jacque err I mean Jack.

I agree although it almost seems so obvious, like that’s what they want us to believe just to distract us from something else.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
One other thing about Mom in regards to Dad.
He was “killed” during the 2012 siege on NY but we never saw what murdered I mean Killed him.

Mom was probably with him when he met his demise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks