What's new

Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans-1957 NetworkDVD R2 Web Exclusive Jan.31,2011 (1 Viewer)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
HAWKEYE AND THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS is being released in the UK from NetworkDVD.net on Jan. 31, 2011 as a Web Exclusive release.
I will get this but at 40.84 pounds or $64.85 I will wait for the next Network sale.
Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans was released in 1957, produced by ITC and starred John Hart and Lon Chaney,Jr., and was filmed on location in Canada. There are 39 episodes.
http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info.php?products_id=1304

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
I remember that show that interested me and I must say that Network's releases are First grade (I've got Sir Francis Drake and Adventures of William Tell), the only problem is that they are really, really high priced. Other TV series released by Network that I'm interested in are are Sword of Freedom, Whiplash

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I have William Tell and Sir Francis Drake too and also enjoyed SWORD OF FREEDOM very much. I had very dim memories of the show. It's got action, humor, and some history. The lead character in Sword of Freedom, an artist, is always interfering with the evil plans of the main villain. But the villain does not try too hard to kill the artist goodguy because the badman collects his artwork!
If Network has another 35% off sale soon, and I just remembered they don't charge the Value Added Tax for U.S. customers, the sale price for Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans might be around $33.00 plus shipping, if I am deducting the correct amount for the VAT.
Alpha has 16 episodes of Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans on 4 discs, and the Mill Creek 300 western set has 14 episodes.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Bob, if you hear of a NETWORK sale, can you please let us know? I've been trying to get ESPIONAGE Series 1 for a relatively cheap price. Thanks.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
They had a great sale last summer on everything but pre-orders. I picked up quite a bit. Unlike some other places, their online prices are already discounted and last summer they added something like an additional 35% off. I am hoping this is a once or twice a year occurrance since I have a few more to get. Currently, "Protectors Complete" is on sale for 17 pounds (list is 40 pounds). It is good to get on their email list since they will let you know about all the sales as they happen.

I'm thinking about "Protectors" now that it is on sale. I am also interested in "The Baron" and "William Tell" if they go on sale.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
So, what happened to this release? I went to check on it on the Network website to see if the price had dropped or if they had any sale going on and it was gone. Nowhere to be found and any of the previous links come up empty. Can't believe it would be withdrawn or out of print after a few months. Something is fishy.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
During riots this summer, the Network Sony DADC DVD distribution center was involved in a fire that destroyed their inventory. I think they just have not gotten around yet to making a new batch of Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans.
This week they just listed the repressings of MAN OF THE WORLD and FOUR JUST MEN.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Bob Gu said:
During riots this summer, the Network Sony DADC DVD distribution center was involved in a fire that destroyed their inventory. I think they just have not gotten around yet to making a new batch of Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans.
This week they just listed the repressings of MAN OF THE WORLD and FOUR JUST MEN.
Didn't know those were gone as I had picked them up quite a while ago. So, Hawkeye should be back at some point?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Yes, I think so. They seem to be concentrating on their schedule of new releases. So restocking the back catalog is going to take a while. There are other missing ITC titles: Sword of Freedom, Fury, Whiplash, even Richard Greene's Robin Hood. Others like the Saint, Persuaders,Willaim Tell, and the Prisoner are still in stock, so I still think Network has the rights or they would all be gone. It's because of the fire. I forget if Dick Turpin was ITC but only the complete series is in stock not the individual season sets.
I have e-mailed them,today, and asked about Hawkeye's return to stock. I'll post back here if they reply.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Resellers on Amazon UK are trying their best to take advantage of the situation by hiking up prices on Network sets that are currently MIA at the Network site. I don't get why Network doesn't attempt to cut this off by announcing on their site that many of the titles are coming back at regular prices. On the flip side of this, last time I checked, SIR FRANCIS DRAKE from Network was selling very cheaply on Amazon UK, $18 shipped.
I also have word from my London correspondent that SENTIMENTAL AGENT will be returning to the Network site.
Danny, what did you think of MAN OF THE WORLD and FOUR JUST MEN? Also, do you have SENTIMENTAL AGENT or SWORD OF FREEDOM? I am interested in all four of those.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Have not had a chance to watch enough episodes to assess those series, other than Four Just Men which I find myself liking.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Neil Brock said:
Have not had a chance to watch enough episodes to assess those series, other than Four Just Men which I find myself liking.
Okay, well do update once you have sampled more of the UK stuff. It always helps to have another opinion before buying these sets as they tend to be a bit pricey for blind buys I think you and I have somewhat similar tastes in vintage TV, so your mini-reviews would be beneficial.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I heard back from Network about Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans: "We are waiting for new stock on these- as soon as they are available they will appear for purchase again on the website. Network". So coming, but no date.
I'd, also, be interested in hearing more about the SENTIMENTAL AGENT. The pilot was an episode of Man of the World on that DVD set, and that episode seemed faster moving than the regular Man of the World episodes, which seem slower paced. The Spanish locations were interesting, and the color first episode of Man of the World was gorgeous. (The Sentimental Agent pilot and the rest of MOW were b&w.)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
HAWKEYE AND THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS is back up for order at the Network site. The link in post #1 is working.
Hawkeye is listed at Amazon UK, but as temp. out of stock.
Since some of the other ITC DVD sets that Network sold came back after the fire and then disappeared again, I decided I would not kid around and wait for a sale down the road. So I ordered it tonight.
With the VAT taken off it was 28.93 pounds and 6.70 pounds for shipping or $56.75 US. Higher than I liked, but $3.25 less than I paid for STEVE CANYON, and Hawkeye has five more episodes.
I like Northerns!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
HAWKEYE AND THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS is included in the "Swashbuckler Sale" at networkonair.com. This is the cheapest I have seen it, and with the VAT taken off for US customers it will be even less. The sale is on until June 13.

I also recommend SWORD OF FREEDOM, THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO, and WILLIAM TELL.

Remember, if ordering multiple items, break up your orders to keep them one pound or under in weight so as not to trigger the higher postage fee.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I love this show! Just think Lon Chaney, Jr. was living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada for about year when the HAWKEYE AND THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS (CBC 1957-58) tv series was being filmed back in 1957 somewhere in Pickering (for the outdoor scenes) and the Lakeshore studios (for the interiors).

Why don't they release this in the Region 1 format in North America for goodness sake?

Are these digitally remastered and fully restored video transfers?

Jeff T.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I would say they are. All the NetworkUK releases of the fifties ITC Swashbucklers look very nice. The Count of Monte Cristo looks especially terrific!

Of course that clip you have is mostly from the Randolph Scott 1936 "Last of the Mohicans", which the TV show used in the opening montage. There was not much use of stock footage in the actual episodes.

The first episode was filmed in California before they moved to Canada. That episode features the same crew of US based actors we always see. The only Canadian actors I recognized in the other episodes were John Vernon and Chris Wiggins from Friday the 13th: The Series. The use of all the unknown, to me, Canadian actors makes the show seem a little more real somehow, especially the episodes filmed outdoors in the snow.

The Count of Monte Cristo's early episodes were also filmed in the US, before moving to Europe. The US episodes appear on the last two discs on the Cristo DVD set for some reason out of production order. That's a shame since the show has continuty.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
There were a number of my fellow countrymen on this show including James Doohan (aka Lieutenant Commander Montgomery "Scotty" Scott on the STAR TREK tv series), Larry D. Mann (BEWITCHED and MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN) and Stan Francis (THE PROFESSOR'S HIDEAWAY).

One of my favourites is "The Franklin Story" (17/04/1957) where the late Stan Francis portrayed the great Benjamin Franklin.

Yes, the pilot "Hawkeye's Homecoming" (03/04/1957) was produced in Hollywood with guest-star Michael Ansara.

HAWKEYE was going to be continued for a second season but, I believe that, politics arose pertaining to the actual financing and it was regrettably thrown away because no one could come to agreement on this thorny issue. What a waste because HAWKEYE was very successful in its first (and only) season and lasted forever in syndication on Canadian television stations throughout the entire 1960s.

I really wish that a quality DVD release would be made available in North America.

Thank you for starting this HAWKEYE AND THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS tv series discussion thread!

Jeff T.

:D

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Bob Gu said:
Remember, if ordering multiple items, break up your orders to keep them one pound or under in weight so as not to trigger the higher postage fee.
Any idea if a set like the complete Richard Greene Robin Hood set would get in under the weight? Do they tell you that at the time of the order?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Previous to the Network site redesign last year, there was a tab to click on where you could get the weights of each DVD set to estimate you total weights for shipping. I can't find it now, if it's there.

The Richard Greene ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD: Complete Series set, ordered by itself shipped to the U.S., with the VAT tax removed, is 25.00 pounds plus 7.85 pounds shipping= 32.85 pounds total, which is, $38.13 plus $11.98 shipping = $50.11 So the Robin Hood set by itself does not trigger the 40 pound ($61.00) overseas shipping fee.

Once your register at the Network site and they know you are from the U.S. the site lists all the prices with the VAT tax removed. And placing any items in your basket while logged will show the price without VAT and what postage they are charging. So you can delete items to stay under the higher postage. Smaller orders are the way to go unless you order many titles where the $60.01 fee might turn out to be cheaper, since that's the limit charged.

coinmill.com/GBP_USD.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks