What's new

Hawaii Trip... you been?? (1 Viewer)

David McGough

Second Unit
I need some tips or Ideals on taking this trip.
Looks like its gonna happpen so the wife says.
Wife & daughter want the beach. Id like the water falls
tropic hikes, Pearl Harbor.
Wife . 18 & 21 year old.
Were to go? Any good deals? Any body have a house to rent?
Just checking. This site has helped on trips before.
Dave
[email protected]

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
My wife and I went 10 years ago. Spectacular place.

We only went to Oahu and the big island, so if we ever go back I would love to go to the lusher Maui and Kauai.

On Oahu, we went snorkeling and I came 'this close' to a boxcar jellyfish (trust me, not on purpose!). The North shore had a great beach that I bodysurfed on, though it actually kinda slammed me around a bit and I had sand coming out of just about every orifice for a few days...:) Honolulu was fine, but really just another big city. Looking back, I kinda wish we hadn't spent the extra few days there. We also went to the Dole plantation which was pretty cool.

The big island was a marvel...I seem to remember reading that the island contained something like 17 of the world's 18 different climate types. The absolutely most stunning aspect of the island is the still erupting Kilauea volcano (started in 1983 and hasn't looked back). We were touring around the island and debated whether we should make the side trip down to see the lava hitting the ocean. That was until we saw a plume of steam rising in the air and realized that was where the lava was reaching the water. We were able to walk straight up to where the lava was flowing and (if you had a death wish) you could actually reach out and touch it. Watching the lava continue to flow under water was astounding (as were the numbnuts who were on the beach as the waves brought the hot lava crashing back to shore), but the most incredible image was looking back up the slope of the mountain and seeing the glow of the lava at sunset. Since it was moving slowly, a crust would form on top as it cooled, but the flow would still continue under it and that glowed through.

Found an even better bodysurfing beach near Kona and we loved the black sand beaches - except for the fact I left the rental car running with the keys locked inside while we were there (note - Geo Metros are supremely easy to break into). There were also some incredible moonscapes that we drove through (from previous lava flows).

Personally, I'd avoid the more touristy places and stick to the natural wonders.

Enjoy.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Wish I could help. I was only there once for two hours on my way to NZ. Have a great vacation though, and be sure to bring back plenty of souvenirs.

Alphonse Brown

Stunt Coordinator
ALOHA David (get used to it ;)),

My wife and I enjoyed a week on Oahu this past summer and we loved it. Definitely book a Circle Island Tour via the Roberts Hawaii (www.robertshawaii.com) bus line. The bus drivers keep things interesting with their knowledge and humor. You will stop for 15 minutes at various great photo op sites (Blowhole, Rabbit Island, Pali Lookout, Dole Plantation, North Shore, Honolulu, etc...) It's relatively inexpensive too. I would recommend departing on this tour first thing on the morning of your first full day there, you may want to go back to a certain site later on in the week.

Definitely go to Pearl Harbor and visit the USS Arizona Memorial. You will definitely come away humbled at what happened there over 60 years ago.

If you are a movie buff like me, you will get a kick out of Kualoa Ranch taking an ATV ride through the famous landscapes from such movies as "Jurassic Park", "Godzilla", "Mighty Joe Young", and "Windtalkers". When I was up there they kept saying lookout for The Rock's next movie "Welcome to the Jungle" ... they had just wrapped ... renamed to "The Rundown".

Anyway, if snorkeling is your thing, book a day with Captain Bob's Picnic Boat for a day of snorkeling off of Kaneohe Bay. If your wife likes to shop, Ala Moana Mall in Honolulu was great and has lots of stores. I remember we ate at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. that day.

Definitely do not leave without going to a luau ... we went to Germaine's Luau near Barber's Point. I took some of my best pictures as the sun was setting during this day.

If we were to go again, I would definitely want to visit one of the other islands like the Big Island or Maui. I also booked a waterfall hiking tour, but even the tour guide said Oahu isn't the island for the best waterfalls.

We did so much ... some days you may not want to have anything planned ... you just kind of have to remember to stay with Hawaii's motto sometimes and "just hang loose". Either way, I hope you all have a great time!

ALOHA, (it means goodbye too :D)

Alphonse

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
David,

My advice is not to go to Oahu. If you want to go to a city Nashville or Memphis will do just as well and be a lot cheaper. Go to Kauai, Maui, or Hawai'i (The Big Island), they all have plenty of things to do. I've been to all three, actually lived on the Big Island for 3 years, and recommend them all.

We went to Maui for a couple weeks the other year and still have plenty of things to do the next time we go.;) Both Maui and Kauai are quite a bit smaller than Hawai'i so it's very easy to go from one side of the island to the other and back in a day with plenty of time to play in between. You're not going to have that luxury on Hawai'i. If you're staying in Kona or the resorts to the north and you want to go see the volcano and check out other things in that area, plan on getting additional accommodations for a day or two.

There are three books that I strongly recommend: Hawaii the Big Island Revealed, Maui Revealed, and The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. All are written by Andrew Doughty and Harriet Friedman who are locals. There are things in those books I never knew when I lived there.

We're going to the Big Island this February and I can't wait!

Hope the info helps and have fun,

Alex

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I've been twice in the last 10 years visiting the islands of Kauai, Maui and Hawaii. We most enjoyed Maui with its mix between big city and uninhabited island life. I would highly suggest the "Revealed" books or something similar. It will save you money and you can also explore the island of choice for stuff like the Red Sand beaches on Maui. Yes, the sand is actually red but watch out for all the tallywaggers and boobies. The book failed to mention it was a nude beach. :b

We also rode bikes down the Volcano, helicopter/boat tours, snorkeling, hiking, Luaus, scuba diving, boat dinners, whale sightings, submarine rides, shopping, golf, etc., etc., etc. One week is not enough so you need to plan.

I was also one the few people all the way over here in Atlanta who was aware of the history behind Bubba Burgers and Maui Tacos. Knowledge is golden.:emoji_thumbsup:

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I was there for a week back in 1996 - definitely not near enough time. I keep dreaming about going back but so far it hasn't worked out.

Some things astonished me. First was that Honolulu was basically just another city. I don't remember what I expected but it wasn't that. Second was how open everything is. Third, when I took a 1-day excursion around The Big Island, was how much lava there was. I thought I'd see lava fields every once in a while but I wasn't prepared for lava practically everywhere (I know, the whole dang island is lava). And graffiti like I've never seen anywhere. Instead of spray paint, it was all white rocks on lava - the next guy could rearrange the rocks to form his message anyway he'd like.

On Oahu, you must, of course, visit the Arizona Memorial (this will humble you) along with the USS Missouri, a WWII submarine, and a very nice museum.

Second most popular attraction is the Polynesian Culture Center. This is an all-dayer. Various Polynesian peoples come together and put on shows, display their arts and crafts, etc.

The North Shore was something. Big dang waves when I was there.

Were I to go to the Big Island again, I'd rent a car and go where I want to. The tour I took was fine, but I wanted more.

Next time I'd like to visit Maui. I understand the trip around their largest volcano is a trip you'll remember - at least according to my mother.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Go to Kauai, drop off the wife and kids at Princeville (nice beaches!) and go see Kauai!!!!! They've got some fabulous waterfalls, ones that you can hike or backpack into and they also have waterfalls that you can drive to. In fact, one of the most famous ones on the island is just north of Lihue which is one of the two cities you can fly to (The other is Princeville which is on the north part of the island.) You want to check out the Kalalau Traila and also Waimea Canyons, great hiking spots, that you can dayhike or backpack in. Many dayhikers go the 2/3 miles in from the trailhead but if you REALLY want to see hidden hawaii, bring a backpack and the knowledge and hike the 11 mikes to Kalalau beach or if it's in the summer, take a sea kayak tour to the beach or to see the rest of the Na Pali Coast. It's fantastic. My sister and I spent a bunch of days hiking out to the beach...

They don't call Kauai the "Garden Island" for nothing. It is close to a rainforest as you can get on the western side of the island which is where all the rainfall comes in from the pacific.

Jay

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My wife and I went about 10 years ago. If you want to island hop, I would suggest looking into a cruise. We took a week-long cruise, and also spent a couple of days on Oahu before/after the cruise to see Pearl Harbor, the North Shore, etc. The advantage of a cruise is that you do not waste a lot of time flying from island to island -- the ship travels at night while you are sleeping, and you wake up at a new destination.

Our cruise spent two days at Maui, two days at Hawaii (one on the Kona coast, one at Hilo), and one day at Kauai. We also had one day at sea, cruising along the north shore of Kauai (where Jurassic Park was filmed). There's lots to see on each island. On Maui, we took the road to Hana, drove to the top of Mount Haliakala (sp?), and spent some time in a state park whose name I cannot remember.

Kauai and Hawaii are also well worth a visit. Kauai has some spectacular scenery and coastline. Volcano National Park on Hawaii was also a memorable visit.

We have talked about returning, and if we do I doubt we would spend any time on Oahu, since we have already seen the major sites. As others have stated, Honolulu is just another big city. The other islands are much less crowded and relaxed.

wally

Second Unit
Pearl Harbor is simply a must. Where it started (US involvement) and now with the USS Missouri, where it ended. I was there for 24 hours on a layover returning from Tokyo and it was quite moving flying over the Harbor seeing all the Battleship markers on a flight from Japan.

Have a great time and report back when you return.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
If you start in Oahu, may I suggest mopeds? It was much easier getting around Honolulu traffic riding these instead of a car rental. I was still able to go to Diamondhead and other attractions.
The island hop to the big island was also nice. There I rented a car, visited the Volcano Park. On the way there stopped by a friends house in the district of Puna. Beautiful area, with very nice plant-life :) . Needless to say I was stuck in Puna for a while.
I went on a total bachelor-budget, lived on Saimin, and had the time of my life. I can't wait to return.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
Just take me along, I'll entertain your wife and daughter while you go off and enjoy Hawaii. just kidding.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It's been 13 years since I've been and I only went to Oahu. The Arizona memorial is a must, as is Puchbowl Cemetery (Ernie Pyle is buried there). You can probably get a package tour of both plus some more Pearl Harbor/military landmarks.

I also took a tour of the Dole pinapple factory and a Hawaiian shirt company (Can't remember the name).

Also, I think the Hilton has subamarine tours of the reefs that was absolutely fantastic. If you can afford it, go for a helicopter tour as well.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Was it the "dirt shift"?

http://www.dirtshirt.com/

They sold a bunch of "red dirt" shirts in and around Oahu and the islands...

Besides mopeds (or bikes on Oahu if you are experienced), you can just take "The Bus" which is cheap, something like $2 per ride depending on the zone. My sister and I took it to Diamondhead to hike there.

Jay

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I got back from my first trip just a few weeks ago. We spent the entire week at an exchanged time-share on Kauai. I've got to admit, this is the first vacation where, at the end of the vacation, I've said to myself, "I could stay here longer." Usually I'm done and ready to get home...

I have no basis of comparison but Kauai was fantastic. Named the "Garden Island" for a reason. They claim the wettest spot on earth with the center of the island getting about 450 inches a year (!) it's the highest tropical rain forest and explains why there are so many incredible waterfalls. The south part of the island averages 90 inches/year. The north shore is the home of Puff the Magic Dragon (Hanalei). I have pictures of my trip here: http://www.lastdot.net/gallery/kauai (I'm still labeling the photos, though).

At only 550 square miles and a circumference of only about 60-75 miles, it's the one island you can't drive around. Oh, and there is next to no night life... Everything is very expensive. It was cheaper eating out then getting supplies to eat at our condo's kitchen. Milk was 2 gallons for $7, gas was $2.35/gallon.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Wailua Falls! Thanks Micah, that's the falls I was trying to recall in my post about Kauai... Did you spend any time on the Kalalau Trail? There is a great viewpoint from the Kalalau Lookout of the Na Pali Coast. Great pictures, I was talking to a ranger about bushwacking from the Na Pali coast to Kokee State Forest but from looking at the topo maps, it looks like a helluva serious expedition. The ranger has said people have died trying but it sures looks a great adventure. We met a guy who lives off the grid in the woods back there in a little commune, seems like a great way to live if you don't mind the rainforest...

My sister and did not get a chance to check out the Falls as we were too busy getting food and gas for our trip out to Kalalau Beach and then we drove all the way from the trailhead down to Kokee to camp there and do some dayhikes in that area. I'd like to go back and backpack down to the Canyon floor itself and also to check out the sunset at Polihale Beach...

Jay

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, the Kalalau Trail...

We were told that it's about two miles to the first beach. After hiking for an hour up and down very steep terain, I spied the ONE MILE MARKER (blinked and I would have missed it). It was extremely strenuous and NOT for those out of shape...

We did get to the lookout point I think you're thinking of. I've got pictures on my site. It was strangely calm, though. Locals were freaked out as that is usually the windiest place on the island.

David McGough

Second Unit
Micah, what great pictures!!! you need to be our guide.
Were not going to stay in Oahu, thinking of staying at Maui.
I want to see the Wailva falls and the views you have.
Wife and daughter want the beach and the Sun.
I need to get a map to find my bearings and just were Islands are. How far is Kauai from Maui.. Do we need to stay 2 places
to get to see the sights. Were are the Valcanos?
Im still looking for a Condo/resort in Maui.
Can we do this without a travel agent?
One Ive contacted is not the best on were to do what.

Thanks for everyones feedback and Ideals.
Keep it coming
Dave
Tenn

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Mike,

There is so much to do on every island that I'm afraid you're just going to have to go back to take it all in.:D
You'll be able to get beach and sun and waterfalls on pretty much every island. Being that Kauai is smaller, it'll be easier there than Maui or Hawai'i (where the volcanoes are). I can't really say about Lanai or Molokai having never been to those islands. The drawback is that the sunny and rainy sides are always on the opposite half of the island. On the island of Hawai'i there is a waterfall over 1000 ft in Waipio Valley. Truly a spectacular sight and a good hike if you want to get to the pool at the base.

If you stay in Maui, we really liked the
Kahana Sunset. We rented through Sullivan Properties and were able to get better rates than going directly through the condos. [We did have to put up with a small spiel from them for about 1/2 hour or so but it was worth the savings and they were nice people and certainly nothing high pressure.] Unlike every other condo or hotel on the island, it has a smaller but very nice private beach and the rates are quite good. We definitely prefered the area around Ka'anapali/Kahana/Lahaina over the Kihei area.

I definitely recommend the snorkeling cruise to Molokini crater and there's also some great snorkeling at Honolua Bay. We saw some devil rays and eels at Honolua, very cool. I also saw a devil ray while snorkeling off the beach at Kahana Sunset. The submarine cruise from Lahaina is a lot of fun too.

You can do a 30 mile bike ride down Haleakala that is a blast, downhill all the way. Try to coordinate it such that you can be on top for sunrise. Truly an amazing sight. There is some excellent hiking in the crater too. We did an overnight hike there and camped at a cabin in the crater. That night we also hiked through a lava tube in the crater which was a total hoot.

The drive to Hana will take you through the more lush areas of the island and the falls you'd like to see.

An absolute must is dining at any of Roy Yamaguchi's restaurants, on Maui they are Roy's Kahana Bar & Grill and Roy's Nicolina. He also has restaurants on Oahu, Hawai'i and Kauai. Some of the best food I have EVER had. Stay away from A Pacific Cafe. We went once to the original restaurant on Kauai which was excellent but the one on Maui sucked.

Absolutely STAY AWAY from the sugar cane train! We only did it because our son was excited about it...he was only 5. What a friggin' bore! Putz along in an old train while some guy points out mangos and bananas.:angry: I'd like to have those two hours of my life back.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks