What's new

Hawaii Five: O: The Sixth Season and beyond (2 Viewers)

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Yes I agree, season nine is my cut off too. Here in So Cal Five-0 is on syndication here on kdoc 56 in the afternoons, s10 very weak ,s11 bad and season 12 is a horrible embarassment and are not worth the $$$$. The show saddly becomes almost a self parody of itself (like miami vice after season 2) after season 9 with ever weaker scripts and "calling it in acting" /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I believe the early episodes of hawaii five-o were the best, because Chin Ho Kelly, Danno, Kano and McGarret were very good together.

The problem is some shows last longer than they should. I think Hawaiii five-o should have ended after the 9th season. I will still collect all them if they are released, because Jack Lord as McGarrett was a fascinating character. I would ranked McGarrett up there with Magnum, Frank Cannon, James T Kirk, Mannix, Gage/DeSoto, etc.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I'm still stuck on season 4. I can't seem to get through it. I can really sense a bit of a decline in this season. Scripts became weaker, more gimmicky and sensational. Characters are doing things that didn't make sense. Jack Lord doesn't seem as into it as he was in the earlier seasons. From the season premiere, with its rip-off of the 1944 movie Laura, to the next few episodes, about getting rid of corpses by dumping them in the garbage; and the hunt for a killer who puts make-up and a wig on each victim; it's different from what went before. It's more graphic; it feels like they're trying to shock you more, and it doesn't really work. Many more episodes this season just have poor scripts. Stuff like "The 90 Second War" Part 1; it starts brilliantly, but then dissolves into an unbelieveable and incomprehensible mess; and then episodes like "Bait Once, Bait Twice," and "Skinhead," both of which are a mess from start to finish. Hopefully Seasons 5 and 6 are an improvement...

tokmik

Auditioning
Real Name
jenero
I hope you all here have a happy new year! I have been made to feel welcome on here since I joined earlier this year. Very much enjoyed the discussions about different shows on DVD. Thanks!
[SIZE= smaller]hawaii bus tours[/SIZE]
Edited by tokmik - 7/20/2009 at 03:40 pm GMT

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Front cover artwork for Hawaii Five-O: The Seventh Season (on Region 1 DVD) has been posted on TVShowsOnDVD not that long ago (had a notification email from them not that long ago). The URL link to the news article is below:

Hawaii Five-O: The Seventh Season (Region 1 DVD) - Front cover artwork (source: TVShowsOnDVD.com)

Reaction? My favourite artwork so far (and I said that about their artwork for the Season 6 set!). Very, very nice. Whilst I doubt the background image is not from the series, it's a decent representation of Hawaii at night I'm guessing. And I would say that is a promotional image of Jack Lord in Hawaii Five-O from 1974.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
There's plenty of time that the graphic design drops off as a series continues. This cover tops the last. Somebody at CBS is doing a good job selecting the background pics.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
They'll need to change that because Al Harrington (Ben Kokua) had left the show at this point.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I generally don't comment on cover art one way or the other because the content is always what's been the most important thing to me. Having said that, the cover art for Season 7 is absolutely fabulous! I hope they don't change that up at all. It's really a nice contrast to the daytime shots on the other sets.

Gary "I'm in for seasons 7-10, but I'll probably bail after that" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Jack P /forum/thread/280497/hawaii-five-o-the-sixth-season-and-beyond/60#post_3590032
They'll need to change that because Al Harrington (Ben Kokua) had left the show at this point.
Hmmm? I thought he was in Season 7?
Gary "maybe my mind's playing tricks on me" O.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by Corey3rd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's plenty of time that the graphic design drops off as a series continues. This cover tops the last. Somebody at CBS is doing a good job selecting the background pics.
I strongly agree. The box art for all the releases of "Five-O" has been very consistent in its appeal to me. I may purchase this one too, as I have all the others.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I stand corrected. The reference guides keep listing him on the show from 72-74, but now that I recheck he was in early S7 episodes only and thus gone from the show by the end of 74.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I agree with everyone else, Season 7 represents another outstanding piece of DVD artwork, very eye-catching on store shelves (even though Season 6's art is still my personal fave). I've said it before and I'll say it again, the show definitely has some fans inside CBS-Paramount, as the quality that has gone into the show's restorations and front/back artwork consistently exceeds those of other CBS-P TV show sets. I also like the fact that they have been correctly using images of the characters that line up very closely with the seasons they are representing, whereas they could just as easily have used some earlier-season or later-season images if they weren't paying attention. While obviously the quality of the episodes is the big draw, I think one of the other reasons fans/general consumers keep buying each season is because of the attractive artwork that jumps off the store shelves compared to the more generic artwork of numerous other DVD sets.

In response to the questions about Ben's involvement in Season 7, he was around for the first half or so of the season (as noted above), but allegedly was released from the show due to pressure from the star, Jack Lord. Creator Leonard Freeman had brought him in to replace Kono (Zulu) starting with season 5, but after Freeman's death toward the end of Season 6, Lord unofficially took over in an executive producer capacity to help fill the void and maintain the show's quality and integrity. However, he had never been a fan of Harrington's (not sure if it was the character or the actor himself he wasn't pleased with), and Harrington left during the 7th season. He was replaced by Doug Mossman as Frank Kemana in the remaining half of the 7th season. Frank is a rather non-descript but agreeable enough character who never really had a chance to shine in the shows he appeared in (even Ben had a couple good moments in season 5). Mossman never received a credit during the show opening as Zulu and Harrington did. The Ben character's image in the season 7 opening was replaced with a shot of a fireman with a blow torch. In season 8, Herman Wedemeyer's Duke character (seen in a police uniform since season 4) gets promoted (off-screen apparently) as a member of the Five-0 team, and Frank disappears. Duke doesn't get his opening sequence credit until Season 9, though.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Yeah season seven is another must buy for me I'll hang in atleast till season 8 , but after that there is saddly a huge quality drop off s9 is only decent ,and the last three season are mostly un watchable . Yes s7 and s8 are must buys after that only if $$$ permits.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Corey3rd /forum/thread/280497/hawaii-five-o-the-sixth-season-and-beyond/60#post_3590022
There's plenty of time that the graphic design drops off as a series continues.
I didn't get this part of your reply. Seemed a bit vague. Were you commenting on the quality of the front cover artwork for the seasons released so far of Hawaii Five-O on DVD?
EDIT: Replying to post #92:
Couldn't have put it better myself Jeff. I thought (from when I watched S7 on Granada Plus) that Al Harrington was still in the show towards the end of the 1974-75 season, but he wasn't then. I like Douglas Mossman's character in S7. Shame he never got to stay in the show. Season 7 contains some very good to excellent episodes. My all-time favourite Hawaii Five-O episode is from S7, "Welcome to Our Branch Office". Superb.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Gary OS /forum/thread/280497/hawaii-five-o-the-sixth-season-and-beyond/90#post_3590236
Never mind. Nothing to see here.
Were you going to comment further on the S7 front cover artwork?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by WaveCrest /forum/thread/280497/hawaii-five-o-the-sixth-season-and-beyond/90#post_3590448
Were you going to comment further on the S7 front cover artwork?
Nope. It was just a mistake. I don't really have a comment except that I think we'll get the artwork we are seeing now. It's always possible they could change it up at the last minute, but I doubt it in this case.
Gary "I hope they don't change it - it's incredible" O.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
This is SUCH great news! I still have three episodes left from season 6, and I'm saving them for a good viewing time (preferably a rainy afternoon, where the family is off visiting the in-laws...a couple of cold ones, watching Steve McGarrett kick a little criminal booty).

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am so happy that season #7 is coming out. This show is a classic one and love watching them over and over again. Nothing beats bookem Danno or watching the old cop techniques/work. The forensic work has help police work, but, the old methods of solving crime are very fascinating.

I hope there are more seasons to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks