What's new

Hawaii Five: O: The Sixth Season and beyond (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
cardinalmark said:
Needless to say, it is cut. Short cut, but cut.
But the episode on the DVD isn't running short in comparison to all the other episodes of that season. Thirty seconds isn't a short cut. Why would they turn over an episode 30 seconds longer than the contracted running time?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
cardinalmark said:
Glad you do not believe! Trust me, there are short scenes cut out! I would be glad to send you a copy of "Murder is a taxing affair", just to show you that you are wrong!! You will see the missing scene, which McGarrett and Danny are following Cavel. They jump to another scene. In the original, Cavel goes back to his hotel, gets out of his car, and steals another rent a car.
The scene is on the DVD. 41:04 has McGarrett and Danny going into the hotel. Cuts to the key rack at a valet parking station. Cavel comes out and grabs a key. he drives away at 41:32 with a valet chasing after him.
Is this the scene you've been swearing is cut and accusing the producers of this DVD of clipping? Cause it is here.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
OK, I checked my uncut recording from syndication, and it matches the DVD episode to the letter, exactly as Corey3rd described in post 62. The scene as cardinalmark described is indeed there, complete with a cool music cue that is uninterrupted from the moment the act resumes from the commerical break through the end of the car theft scene. Perhaps, cardinalmark, your DVD has a scratch or a skip causing it to jump over the scene, because it's there per your own description.

In the big picture of things, not a big deal. I'm glad Mark is a Five-0 fan and enjoying the DVDs like the rest of us. I think we're just wanting to clear up the confusion so people don't think there are scenes missing. There was in fact a cut back in Season 3's "Trouble in Mind" but no others I am aware of. I'm always happy to check my recordings if there may be other cuts that we aren't aware of, but in this case the scene is intact.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Phew! I'm glad this episode does have that scene intact. There are no other Season 6 episodes cut?

Over here only one episode has been cut, and that was done by the ratings board the BBFC. It was because of a cock fighting scene. That's been the only time I have bought the Region 1 version of a season of Hawaii Five-O (Season 4).

The BBFC still haven't passed all 24 episode promos for Season 6. I don't expect them to pass all 24 episodes of Season 6 until around July.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
TVShowsOnDVD have posted a news article about the 7th season on DVD. They have referenced Mike Quigley's Hawaii Five-O website quoting the possible release date of Tuesday 20th October. The only trouble is, this date has been known about for a while. Why has it taken this long for TVShowsOnDVD to post about it now?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The BBFC have passed the Jack Lord episode promos for the Season 6 boxset (released in the UK on 14th September), giving them altogether a 12 certificate. The total running time is just over 22 minutes. I didn't notice until looking carefully at the list of episodes with an episode promo, that episode 3 dosen't have a Jack Lord episode promo. I'm certain I read on here that the Region 1 boxset contains an episode promo for all 24 sixth season episodes. The running time for 21 of the 23 episode promos is 57-58 seconds long. The other two are 56 seconds long. The Season 5 episode promos were given a PG certificate altogether.

The only episode which could give the Region 2 boxset more than a 12 certificate (which is what Play.com say the boxset's rating certificate is. The episode promos will make the Season 6 boxset be a 12 certificate at least. The 24 episodes from season six haven't been added to the BBFC site yet, but I would think they will be on there in the next week, because the menu screens and episode promos have been added to the site so close together) is "Nightmare in Blue".

There has been one other Hawaii Five-O: Season 6 listing added to the BBFC site, a day or two ago. That was for the main menus and episode menus. They were given a PG certificate altogether (Season 5's menu screens and episode menu screens were given a U certificate altogether).

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
In the UK, all DVDs have a rating, and that rating includes the extras. There is nothing remotely comparable over here.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
and for the curious, there is no promo to Episode 3 = Charter for Death on the R1 release of Season 6

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Corey3rd /forum/thread/280497/hawaii-five-o-the-sixth-season-and-beyond/60#post_3579814
and for the curious, there is no promo to Episode 3 = Charter for Death on the R1 release of Season 6
I suppose it's not too strange there being no episode promo for the third episode of season six. It just looks odd when the other 23 episodes have an episode promo!
The URL links further down this post and the other BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) ratings information below for Hawaii Five-O's sixth season on DVD, the source is the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) website:
The BBFC finally added all 24 season six episodes to their website today, although the date says 3rd July. A couple of surprises, one is that one episode got a U certificate (the season finale "30,000 Rooms and I Have the Key"), and that the episode "Nightmare in Blue" has indeed got a 15 certificate. I thought it might get that because of the content, but because Play.com had got the certificate overall as a 12, I thought "Nightmare in Blue" would get a 12 certificate. The 15 certificate for this episode makes this the first season boxset since the Season 3 boxset (on Region 2) to get a 15 certificate overall.
One episode got a U certificate, fourteen got a PG certificate, eight got a 12 certificate and one got a 15 certificate. The list of episodes and the certificate they got is detailed below (beside each episode title is the consumer advice given by the BBFC. They do this for virtually everything they ) :
1.) "Hookman" (Season 6 premiere) - PG certificate : contains mild violence
2.) "Draw Me a Killer" - PG certificate - contains mild violence
3.) "Charter for Death" - 12 certificate - contains moderate images of violence
4.) "One Big Happy Family" - 12 certificate - contains moderate sex references, threat and crime scene detail
5.) "The Sunday Torch" - 12 certificate - contains moderate injury and arson scenes
6.) "Murder is a Taxing Affair" - PG certificate - contains mild violence
7.) "Tricks Are Not Treats" - 12 certificate - contains moderate violence and references
8.) "Why Wait Until Uncle Kevin Dies?" - PG certificate - contains mild violence and accidents
9.) "Flash of Color, Flash of Death" - PG certificate - contains mild violence and language
10.) "A Bullet for El Diablo" - PG certificate - contains mild violence
11.) "The Finishing Touch" - PG certificate - contains mild threat and horror
12.) "Anybody Can Build a Bomb" - PG certificate - contains mild violence
13.) "Try to Die On Time" - PG certificate - contains mild violence and threat
14.) "The $100,000 Nickel" - 12 certificate - contains moderate violence
15.) "The Flip Side is Death" - 12 certificate - contains moderate violence
16.) "The Banzai Pipeline" - 12 certificate - contains moderate injury detail and drugs references
17.) "One Born Every Minute" - PG certificate - contains mild violence and language
18.) "Secret Witness" - PG certificate - contains mild violence and threat
19.) "Death With Father" - 12 certificate - contains frequent moderate drug references
20.) "Murder with a Golden Touch" - PG certificate - contains mild violence
21.) "Nightmare in Blue" - 15 certificate - contains moderate sexual violence and references to rape
22.) "Mother's Deadly Helper" - PG certificate - contains mild violence and mild images of a hanging
23.) "Killer at Sea" - PG certificate - contains mild violence
24.) "30,00 Rooms and I Have the Key" (Season Finale") - U certificate - contains very mild threat.
Hawaii Five-0: Season 6 finale "30,000 Rooms and I Have the Key" - BBFC listing page
Hawaii Five-O: Season 6 episode "Nightmare in Blue" - BBFC listing page
The running time is slightly shorter per episode for the sixth season of Hawaii Five-O. Although if you watch the episodes with the Jack Lord episode promos, which last almost a minute long, the running time per episode (with the exception of episode 3 "Charter for Death") is close to or around 49 minutes long.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I'm almost finished with season 6, and just watched Nightmare In Blue. Incredible episode, that keeps you rivited from the opening scene to the very end. What great writing, directing, acting, score, and unique camera setups in this top-notch crime thriller.

Anyone who gave up on Hawaii Five O after the Kono's departure in the fourth season, is missing out on some of the best shows of the entire run.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by jim_falconer /forum/thread/280497/hawaii-five-o-the-sixth-season-and-beyond/60#post_3581988
I'm almost finished with season 6, and just watched Nightmare In Blue. Incredible episode, that keeps you rivited from the opening scene to the very end. What great writing, directing, acting, score, and unique camera setups in this top-notch crime thriller.
Anyone who gave up on Hawaii Five O after the Kono's departure in the fourth season, is missing out on some of the best shows of the entire run.
I wholeheartedly agree. I was one of those people who initially contimplated stopping after Season 4 when Kono left, but I decided to keep going. And boy am I glad I did. This latest Season release (S6) has been the best one yet, in my opinion. I can't guarantee anyone that I'll actually buy every single season, because my memories of the final season are brutal and I doubt I'll go for that one. But I'm certainly game for another few seasons.
Gary "everyone should pick up Season 6, and if that doesn't hook them on the show then nothing will" O.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by Gary OS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wholeheartedly agree. I was one of those people who initially contimplated stopping after Season 4 when Kono left, but I decided to keep going. And boy am I glad I did. This latest Season release (S6) has been the best one yet, in my opinion. I can't guarantee anyone that I'll actually buy every single season, because my memories of the final season are brutal and I doubt I'll go for that one. But I'm certainly game for another few seasons.
Gary "everyone should pick up Season 6, and if that doesn't hook them on the show then nothing will" O.
I was one of them, too. When the original quartet was broken up after the departure of Zulu (Kono), I thought that the series was going to lose something. It hasn't lost much, if anything, and has been going full steam ahead. I do, however, agree with you about the last season. I've read Mike Quigley's comments on #12, and, sight unseen, I doubt that I'll be purchasing it. I'm scared to spend money on what, it has been said, was the worst season of the series.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for the replies to my last post. It's annoying when you put a lot of effort into a post and don't get any replies whatsoever, yet Gary OS makes numerous posts and always seems to get a reply. I admit I don't post a lot on the HTF forum but when I do I try and make interesting posts.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I have off-air recordings of all the unreleased seasons, and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that, having viewed the season 12 shows more than once, they are an embarrassment to the series and its legacy. The stories in season 12 were mostly rip-offs of earlier, better shows from previous seasons, the acting and writing was amateurish at best, and the show simply should have been put out of its misery after season 11, which wasn't very good either.

To everyone who has enjoyed Season 6, this was absolutely the show at its finest, and served to help solidify the show's legacy as one of the greatest cop shows in history. While the next several seasons don't have quite the ratio of excellent episodes that season 6 has, I must say that seasons 7 thru 9 all have quite a few shows with great guest stars and clever plots that come very close to rivalling season 6. The only drawback is there are a few more clunkers in those seasons, whereas 6 had very few at all. Even the weaker ones were still pretty entertaining. The big quality drop-off occurs with season 10, and then spirals further into season 11 and then completely flatlines with season 12. So for the time being, we've still got at least 3 more good seasons left to go! (The sad thing is, being such a devotee of the show, I'll still shell out my $40 for those last 3 seasons as well).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff*H
have off-air recordings of all the unreleased seasons, and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that, having viewed the season 12 shows more than once, they are an embarrassment to the series and its legacy. The stories in season 12 were mostly rip-offs of earlier, better shows from previous seasons, the acting and writing was amateurish at best, and the show simply should have been put out of its misery after season 11, which wasn't very good either. To everyone who has enjoyed Season 6, this was absolutely the show at its finest, and served to help solidify the show's legacy as one of the greatest cop shows in history. While the next several seasons don't have quite the ratio of excellent episodes that season 6 has, I must say that seasons 7 thru 9 all have quite a few shows with great guest stars and clever plots that come very close to rivalling season 6. The only drawback is there are a few more clunkers in those seasons, whereas 6 had very few at all. Even the weaker ones were still pretty entertaining. The big quality drop-off occurs with season 10, and then spirals further into season 11 and then completely flatlines with season 12. So for the time being, we've still got at least 3 more good seasons left to go! (The sad thing is, being such a devotee of the show, I'll still shell out my $40 for those last 3 seasons as well).

Jeff, thanks so much for that info. As someone who watched the show on and off as a kid in the 70's, I really had forgotten how good it was until I began purchasing the dvds. It's become one of my favorite TVonDVD releases, in part due to the beautiful location shooting. Nothing can beat open air location shots. I'll take that any day over stuffy studio sets, no matter how elaborate.

I appreciate the info on the series as a whole, and when it started fading. Season 6 has been a masterpiece in my mind, and I figured it would be the highpoint of the series. Based on your recommendations, I'll hang with the series up through Season 9 for sure. Then I'll have to start really thinking about whether or not I want to continue. I hate to see a show go downhill. It's a painful thing to watch and I'd rather not sully the goodness of this series in my mind.

Gary "again, thanks for that detailed analysis of the later seasons" O.

cardinalmark

Agent
Real Name
Mark Collins
Has anyone heard when they plan to tell us about season seven being released?? We have all heard about the October 20 date. Hope we hear sometime soon!!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I heard a rumor november 2009 was when the seven season was to be released. CBS is in the process of producing a new version with the premise being McGarrett's son takes over Hawaii five-o.

I love this show, it is classic. I have 1-6 dvd and hope to collect them all one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks