What's new

Hawaii Five: O: The Sixth Season and beyond (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Today, the matter of "Bored, She Hung Herself" not being released may have more to do with contractual issues and not because people are still scared that people will emulate a hanging. If the Freeman estate said they never wanted it to air again, then you may be looking at an awkward piece of language that would keep it legally from ever being released.
I have seen the episode in its bootleg version, and I will say that it is one of the worst episodes of Five-O in its classic period. The title is a misnomer since its ultimately a murder, not a hanging, and the manner in which the guilty party is captured is straight out of the Perry Mason school of murderers confessing, which is a style not suitable for a show like Five-O. John Newland of "One Step Beyond" fame directed the episode (and has an unbilled cameo) and its clear why he never did another Five-O since he really didn't understand the show at all (and the episode also has the dumbest ending imaginable). To me, it's no great loss that the show is not on DVD, but for completeness sake it would be nice to have it and I understand the desire of others to see for themselves.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Agreed that it is a terrible episode. There was a horrendous quality transfer floating around where some moron just shot it off a wall with a camcorder. I tracked down the print owner and did a nice transfer, although unfortunately by that time the print had gone red. Anyway, I don't think that's its fair to blame John Newland, who was an excellent director. He had been contracted to do several episodes of the show but Jack Lord was a control freak and couldn't deal with someone directing who actually took charge. What happened was Newland was paid off his owed deal but did not wind up directing all of the shows that he was supposed to do.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It is not very often i can stumped with a tv episode, but i am now. I remember a Hawaii Five-O episode that young girl was found dead by drug overdose. A hitman years before killed the gals parents takes it on his own to support the kid and is known as her uncle. The hitman goes on a revenge to kill the doctor. I had thought Ramon Biere played the retired hitman, but the only episode he is listed in is the diary of the gun. I welcome anyone's suggestion to the name of this episode.

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
I might have thought that the original Hawaii Five-O would be a shoo in for a blu ray release. CBS have HDed most of the episodes and it would be an excellent tie in with the popular remake, available on blu.
Blu ray opportunities might include:
An opportunity to release "Bored She Hung Herself" with CBS disclaimer
the restoration of the proper title sequence to season 2
and a wonderful future proofed version of one of the best 35mm TV series' ever.

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
If the quality of the dvds are so good then they would benefit from blu.
All the filmed retro TV shows I have on blu are incomparable with their dvd counterparts. The blu of the original Star Trek or The Prisoner is astounding.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
younger1968 said:
It is not very often i can stumped with a tv episode, but i am now. I remember a Hawaii Five-O episode that young girl was found dead by drug overdose. A hitman years before killed the gals parents takes it on his own to support the kid and is known as her uncle. The hitman goes on a revenge to kill the doctor. I had thought Ramon Biere played the retired hitman, but the only episode he is listed in is the diary of the gun. I welcome anyone's suggestion to the name of this episode.
It was my mistake about the episode as it was not one from hawaii five-o. The episode had Ramon Bieri as the retired hitman was on jake and the fatman!!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I watched an episode last night on Netflix in which Buddy Ebsen was a con artist and I don't recall ever seeing him as a truly bad guy before. I know he played a petty thief on Andy Griffith but nothing along this line. David Canary was on the episode as well and in cahoots with Ebsen's character. Seeing that kind of star power all on one show was quite interesting!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Ron1973 said:
I watched an episode last night on Netflix in which Buddy Ebsen was a con artist and I don't recall ever seeing him as a truly bad guy before. I know he played a petty thief on Andy Griffith but nothing along this line. David Canary was on the episode as well and in cahoots with Ebsen's character. Seeing that kind of star power all on one show was quite interesting!
That great thing about classic TV is the guest stars. Many actors/actresses, especially those in between movies used to do guest starring roles on tv series. Guest starring roles is now a rarity!!
I still believe Hawaii Five-O was best early on when the Kono was in the cast. After Kono left the void was not filled in properly as there was no real hawaii actor that stepped up to play a role of a native. Duke tried, but Duke was better when he was HPD officer -vs- part of the hawaii five-o team.
Next year will mark 45 years since the airing of the pilot! I hope in five years there is something to play homage to Hawaii Five-O on its 50th aniversary!!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
younger1968 said:
That great thing about classic TV is the guest stars. Many actors/actresses, especially those in between movies used to do guest starring roles on tv series. Guest starring roles is now a rarity!!
I still believe Hawaii Five-O was best early on when the Kono was in the cast. After Kono left the void was not filled in properly as there was no real hawaii actor that stepped up to play a role of a native. Duke tried, but Duke was better when he was HPD officer -vs- part of the hawaii five-o team.
Next year will mark 45 years since the airing of the pilot! I hope in five years there is something to play homage to Hawaii Five-O on its 50th aniversary!!
I actually saw where someone had mentioned on a Barnaby Jones thread that Buddy had guest starred on this episode, so I specifically looked it up. I also (non H50 related) watched an episode of Columbo where Johnny Cash was a murderer. Certainly not something to be expected, either. The thing I like is that shows of that era, even though they dealt with the tough issues of life such as murder, it's something I can watch with the kids and not worry about what they're seeing. Production values were so much better with the shows of that era, too.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I think i may check that episode out that has Buddy Ebsen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001171/)
I also may check out the night gallery episode as well.
I am glad that i have over 100 tv shows, including Hawaii Five-O on dvd. Some nights and i get fix for a certain actress/actor and then query their biography to see if they were in a tv series.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
younger1968 said:
I think i may check that episode out that has Buddy Ebsen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001171/)
I also may check out the night gallery episode as well.
I am glad that i have over 100 tv shows, including Hawaii Five-O on dvd. Some nights and i get fix for a certain actress/actor and then query their biography to see if they were in a tv series.
I specifically sought out that episode along with the Johnny Cash on Columbo episode. I was surprised, however, to find Nancy Kulp guesting on Quantum Leap as a nun. I laughed and said it was quite appropriate that she was a nun considering no more dates than she had as Miss Jane and all that time chasing Jethro.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have all the seasons of the original hawaii five-o and like to watch it from time to time. I am watching S4 episode with Jackie Cooper starring as a doctor!! Amazing episode and fine acting by Jackie Cooper!!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Obsolete Man said:
It also says "every episode from 1968-1980"... but do they mean "Every episode", or "every episode already released on DVD"?
I'd be very willing to bet that they mean "every episode already released on DVD" and that the 73rd disc will be the only content that isn't exactly the same as the other previously released discs.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The Obsolete Man said:
It also says "every episode from 1968-1980"... but do they mean "Every episode", or "every episode already released on DVD"?
I was wondering the same thing. It would be nice if at long last the episode 'Bored, She Hung Herself' was released but I seriously doubt it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
We will definitely not see "Bored" but what might make me reluctantly get it, is if S10 is remastered. That was the only one they released un-remastered and they caught some flack for that. Netflix versions I believe are remastered.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am glad the complete series is released, especially the extras. However, the set is not something i will purchased as i already have S1-S12 on dvd. The bonus stuff looks interesting, but i am not going to buy the set just for the bonus. It is too bad the studio could not make the extra available for previous buyers that supported this series as it was released on dvd.

I have heard the episode "Bored she hung herself" will never be released due to a person died trying to do the yoga stunt.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I too hope CBS/Paramount uses this opportunity to release Season 10 remastered on DVD. So far remastered episodes from this season have only been available on streaming.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
Well if season 10 is remastered on this set then IMHO it should not take a lot of effort to issue replacements for that season and I will at the very least contact CBS about this if they are. Not a demand just a polite request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks