What's new

Hawaii Five: O: The Sixth Season and beyond (2 Viewers)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Reading that about Jack Lord wearing a toupee a day or two ago spoilt the illusion for me. I always thought that was his own hair in Hawaii Five-O. Now I've got to try and block what I read out of my mind.

Hope Season 6 does come out in April. I doubt Seasons 7 & 8 will be out by the end of the year, but it would be nice.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
WaveCrest said:
Hope Season 6 does come out in April. I doubt Seasons 7 & 8 will be out by the end of the year, but it would be nice.
Season 7 is currently being prepped, so it's a safe bet it will be coming out later this year (Season 6 is due in April).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I thought earlier today that it would be nice if CBS/Paramount released both the seventh and eighth seasons at the same time this autumn when the new Hawaii Five-O show starts in the US.
For the seventh season DVD boxset it would great if they included all filmed episodes of the Khiegh Dheigh series Khan! as an extra. The four aired episodes were shown during Hawaii Five-O's seventh season in February 1975.
I checked TVShowsOnDVD's news archive list tonight to see how long it took from them announcing the Season 5 set to when the front cover artwork was posted on the website. But both the set announcement and front cover artwork were posted in the same article.
What should be on the front cover for the Season 6 DVD boxset? - Part 1
This time they (CBS/Paramount) should rectify the mistake they didn't, couldn't or wouldn't (hope that's not harsh) change with using a 1973 image of Jack Lord from Hawaii Five-O. People said on here at the time the Season 5 front cover artwork was posted on TVShowsOnDVD, that the image of Jack Lord used was not from Season 5. Now I'm assuming all Season 5 episodes were filmed in 1972. This is based on what I read in the Booking Hawaii Five-O book about Season 12, that the final episode of the series was filmed in December 1979. So an image of Jack Lord from Season 6 will be from 1973.
What should be on the front cover for the Season 6 DVD boxset? - Part 2
The main image will be of Jack Lord. If CBS/Paramount place a banner along the bottom of the front cover the other Season 6 main cast members should be in there - Danno, Ben and Chin Ho Kelly. Duke could be on the front cover as well (like with the Season 5 front cover). But the actor who played him wasn't in the main cast until Season 8 or 9.
The background image - I'd like to see an image from the title sequence. The clock tower, the building with that statue or the hotel from a distance when the camera is moving towards Jack Lord on the hotel room balcony?
I'd like to see a mention on the back cover of Hawaii Five-O's only Emmy win, for the music in the Season 6 premiere "Hookman". That might help boost sales. I haven't asked anyone about that. My own suggestion.
As there are no two-part stories, three-part stories and two hour episodes in Season 6 there should be Jack Lord episode promos/intros for all 24 episodes of Season 6. If there is an episode promo/intro for the season premier "Hookman" I can't wait to hear the start of it, if it's the same as previous episode promos/intros I've heard/seen so far (from when I've tested out the Hawaii Five-O boxsets I've got so far) :
"This is Jack Lord inviting you to join us next for..Hookman". :cool:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Little inconsistencies like using the wrong season image of a character on the box art are annoying, but hey, if it helps sell more units, then I guess I'm all for it (but if it's a lack of attention to detail, then it bugs me). Jack Lord's sideburns and wave of hair started getting a little out of control in the show's middle years, so perhaps that may be why they avoided using a season 5 image on the box. We'll see what season 6 brings (I'm not holding my breath, as season 5 originally had Kono on the cover before CBS-P was alerted to the error).

I doubt CBS-P will give us any extras at all, such as the ones you suggested, beyond the episodic promos, which are cool in that they haven't been seen in syndication, but they really aren't what I would call bonus features since they are technically part of the episodes' original broadcasts.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jeff*H said:
Little inconsistencies like using the wrong season image of a character on the box art are annoying, but hey, if it helps sell more units, then I guess I'm all for it (but if it's a lack of attention to detail, then it bugs me). Jack Lord's sideburns and wave of hair started getting a little out of control in the show's middle years, so perhaps that may be why they avoided using a season 5 image on the box. We'll see what season 6 brings (I'm not holding my breath, as season 5 originally had Kono on the cover before CBS-P was alerted to the error).
I doubt CBS-P will give us any extras at all, such as the ones you suggested, beyond the episodic promos, which are cool in that they haven't been seen in syndication, but they really aren't what I would call bonus features since they are technically part of the episodes' original broadcasts.
Play.com must have only updated the Season 5 front cover artwork on their listing page for the boxset in the last few days. They've finally put the correct artwork (the same as the Region 1 version) with Ben instead of Kono on their site!
I'll be getting my copy of Season 5 next Monday. Quite a busy release day next Monday (also Season 5 of Mission: Impossible, Season 2 of The Invaders and Season 2 of Diagnosis Murder, along with Friday the 13th Parts 2-8 repackaged). A week later Season 6 of Law and Order finally makes it to the UK on DVD.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I really like the purple sunset action for the background. Still six more seasons to go.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I have reliable info which confirms Season 7 is heading our way October 20th.

Great cover on season 6, btw. Possibly my favorite to date. There are a number of outstanding episodes this season as well, including "Hookman", "Draw Me a Killer", "Nightmare in Blue", "Secret Witness" and more. Unfortunately Wo Fat does not appear this season, but returns in season 7.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jeff*H said:
I have reliable info which confirms Season 7 is heading our way October 20th.
Great cover on season 6, btw. Possibly my favorite to date. There are a number of outstanding episodes this season as well, including "Hookman", "Draw Me a Killer", "Nightmare in Blue", "Secret Witness" and more. Unfortunately Wo Fat does not appear this season, but returns in season 7.
Not long read the TVShowsOnDVD article and looked at the Season 6 front cover artwork.
It's one of my favourite front cover artworks which CBS/Paramount have done. They're consistent with good artwork on the Hawaii Five-O boxsets. Plus they've got it right this time and remembered to put Ben on the front cover, as he was in the main cast for Season 6 and not Kono. ;)
I like the background artwork and the purple colour theme. Notice the woman silouhette in the background on the rocks.
And the Jack Lord image looks like it's from 1973 and not one of the first five seasons. The image of Danno dosen't look much different to the one used on the Season 5 front cover artwork.
When it said in the announcement article that there was additional info I thought it was going to say there would be Jack Lord episode intros/promos. That could still happen though. That's normally been announced after the front cover artwork has been posted on the web.
When the rear cover artwork is posted on TVShowsOnDVD I hope it's mentioned that the show won it's only Emmy for music for "Hookman".
Of what I remember from watching Season 6 on Granada Plus there were plenty of very good to excellent episodes. Some of these were "Hookman", "Draw Me A Killer", "Nightmare in Blue" (guest stars John Beck before he played Mark Graison in Dallas years later) and "Death with Father". From the Season 6 episode titles the aforementioned episodes in this post are the only ones which I can remember scenes from.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That front cover art for #6 is quite eyecatching and appealing. This could be a possible purchase for me.

Dave_I

Auditioning
Real Name
David Isbell
Even if I didn't like the cover, I'd still buy season 6. I've become addicted to this show in the last two years. I'll most likely buy the whole series, even season 12, of which I've heard many negative comments.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I like to see all the seasons of Hawaii Five-O released, but I do remember issues with Starsky and Hutch when it was first release it took awhile for the last season to be released or at least two years. There are other examples like Knots Landing, which has the second season coming out in April, but it has been a few years before the first season came out.

I like to see additional dvds for Benson, The Rookies, which only the first season. I also like to see series like Carter Country, Holmes and Yo Yo, Hogan Family, Three's Crowd, the ropers, etc.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
TomHU said:
Does anyone remember during what season the "V For Vashon" episodes aired?
I very clearly remember watching this three parter as a kid and never seeing it again. I think it was probably the first time I remember seeing a nighttime program continued from one episode to the next (not counting BATMAN).
I would definately like to start with that season.
Me too, I caught that on a local indie channel (that was WB, now MyNetworkWhatever) and it hooked me. For the longest time I couldn't see the third and final episode and my TV was mono at the time so I couldn't hear what the last line of Part 2 was, so...yeah, I need to see this again. Heck, I'll get it today!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I had been thinking the first two-hour Hawaii Five-O episode (after the pilot movie "Cocoon") "Murder, Eyes Only" was from Season 7 and also that it marked the return of Wo Fat after the Season 5 episode "The Jinn Who Clears the Way". I checked EpGuides.com earlier today and saw it was actually the Season 8 premiere. So it's looking like that episode won't be out on DVD until the start of next year. If Season 7 is being prepped for an October release Season 8 won't be out before the end of the year.

Wo Fat's next episode after "The Jinn Who Clears the Way" is "Presenting ... In the Center Ring ... Murder".

Still no sign yet on the BBFC's website of a Season 6 promos listing. Will post here when it is put up on their website.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I caught "Murder, Eyes Only" about a year ago, and it is a surprisingly strong episode, for a TV show starting it's 8th season. I'm really looking forward to seeing that one on a remastered CBS/Paramount DVD one day...

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
jim_falconer said:
I caught "Murder, Eyes Only" about a year ago, and it is a surprisingly strong episode, for a TV show starting it's 8th season. I'm really looking forward to seeing that one on a remastered CBS/Paramount DVD one day...
Season 9's "Nine Dragons" is an even better 2-hour season premiere, also with Wo Fat, with a very strong James Bond flair to it (and location shooting in Hong Kong). He didn't appear again until the cartoonish series finale in season 12, so "Dragons" is the last great Wo Fat show (and one of the last great Five-0's period, along with a handful of other season 9 shows).
Fortunately, as Wavecrest mentioned, we will get to enjoy Wo Fat again later this year, as he returns next fall in season 7's "Presenting in the Center Ring...Murder", another good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks