What's new

Hawaii Five-O: Season 9 (1 Viewer)

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
This was their response to my question earlier today and assume it is legit !

I feel the new H5-0 series and its popularity has sped up the process of releasing the rest of the original series. They say seasons 11 & 12 will be out in 2011 !

[SIZE= 14px]Brad W. Lloyd [/SIZE]Been hearing rumors of Hawaii Five-0 season 10 coming out in October and the rest of the series in 2011. Is this true ?
[SIZE= 14px]CBS Home Entertainment Brad, yes it is true. Dec 14th. It will be for pre-sale about a month earlier on Amazon.[/SIZE]

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
The 10th Season has one of the best versions of the Five-O theme, and it's on similar musical ground to the 8th Season.

The most refined version is Season 11 ( with a helicopter shot replacing Kam Fong ).....only to be downgraded along with the scripts by the start of the the 12th year.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Hawaii-Five-O-Season-10/14534

Ok, here we go with the announcement of Season 10 with release date of December 14th !

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
"Nine Dragons" -- the 2 hour season premiere for the 9th year is my all-time favorite Five-O.

Mister-Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Quigley
Originally Posted by Executive

The 10th Season has one of the best versions of the Five-O theme, and it's on similar musical ground to the 8th Season.

What do you mean by "theme"? The opening theme (main titles) or the one under the closing credits, or both?

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
Originally Posted by Mister-Mike

What do you mean by "theme"? The opening theme (main titles) or the one under the closing credits, or both?

The opening theme. Although now that you mentioned it the 2 hour shows have extended versions of the closing theme to compensate for the additional guest stars and sometimes to also credit filming locations and occasionally military organizations (the Coast Guard or U.S. Navy).

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Would anyone be interested in starting a season 10 thread ?

If I knew how, i would !!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It is very easy to add a thread. I have pre-order S10 and i am looking forward to this released, especially the last episode with Chin Ho Kelly.

bionicsuomi

Agent
Real Name
Alain A.
Hello guys,

If I would like to acquire only one season of "Hawaii Five-0" on DVD, the original, which would you recommand to a novice ? (who wants to avoid he turkey episodes as much as possible)

Thanks for your help !

Alain

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Originally Posted by bionicsuomi

Hello guys,

If I would like to acquire only one season of "Hawaii Five-0" on DVD, the original, which would you recommand to a novice ? (who wants to avoid he turkey episodes as much as possible)

Thanks for your help !

Alain

Hi Alain,

I would highly recommend Season 3 of the series. In my opinion, every episode of this season (with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 shows) is either good, great or excellent. It took the show its first year or 2 for all of the key elements to really come together and allow the show to really hit its stride. This season has great guest stars, fine performances and spotlights on all of the team members, excellent musical scores by Richard Shores, Don B. Ray and others, clever stories, and wonderful island scenery all in abundance, plus 2 different adventures featuring McGarrett's arch-nemesis, Wo Fat.
Highlights for me this season included "...And a Time to Die" (the season opener), "The Second Shot", "Trouble in Mind", "Force of Waves", "The Late John Louisiana", "Over 50? Steal", "Beautiful Screamer", "Paniolo", and "F.O.B. Honolulu", a 2-parter.

If you enjoy this season enough, I would say you are well on your way to being hooked, and that you should then proceed to Season 1 and watch it from the beginning, as the first 6 seasons are the best ones, and seasons 7-9 have their highlights as well. Enjoy!

-Jeff

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I would recommend S4. However, it is difficult to just pick one season, because some seasons had some really good episodes, especially early on in hawaii five. You may see down the road the best of hawaii five-o dvd similar to what star trek did for a few of their episodes.

I am a huge hawaii five-o fan and can not wait for S11 to come out in April and hope by late summer or early fall that S12 comes out and i can complete my collection. I am looking forward to doing a hawaii five-o marathon down the road. Currently, i watch an episode from time to time. I just watch the grand stand episode with pernell roberts and it is was of my favourites.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I know this is a Season 9 thread, but having been hearing some horror stories on the quality of season 10, from video to audio and even a crappy looking cover.

Anyone here have any opinions on it compared to seasons 1-9 ?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Hi Brad,

Simply put--Seasons 1 thru 9 were digitally remastered in High Definition (based on information that was available in the now-defunct CBS Paramount Television Bible), and these transfers were released on DVD in Standard Definition. They look amazing, especially on an HDTV and upcoverting blu-ray player. The first couple seasons seem to have more saturated color, as many shows from the late 60s (i.e. "Star Trek" and "Batman") also had this saturated color as well, most likely designed to help ratings and to sell color TVs, which were new at the time.

Season 10's transfers seemed to come from pre-existing Standard Definition television prints. About 8 of the shows look a little better than the others, and I believe these were culled from the Family Channel remastering that was done around 1997. The remaining 16 shows' transfers seemed to come from the syndicated prints used in the late 80s and most of the 90s, as many have the same glitches and scratches in the picture that off-air recordings from that era have. The color also appears more washed-out, and the picture is a little darker and grainier. However, the episodes are uncut on all the shows, with a couple minor exceptions involving music substitution (in 2 of the episodes).

My theory as to why Season 10's quality was lower involves either a) cost-savings by CBS/P to increase their profit margin on these last few seasons that will most likely move fewer units versus the earlier seasons, or b) the season may have been rushed to market in time for the holidays--it had originally been scheduled for March '11, so CBS/P may have had to simply use the prints they already had available, instead of taking time to remaster a new set of transfers.

In any case, I still recommend you pick up season 10 if you are a big fan like I am. The episodes are still perfectly watchable and enjoyable, even though the overall storytelling quality starts to drastically decline with this season.

Originally Posted by shadyguy

I know this is a Season 9 thread, but having been hearing some horror stories on the quality of season 10, from video to audio and even a crappy looking cover.

Anyone here have any opinions on it compared to seasons 1-9 ?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have S1-S10 and did notice there was a drop off with S10 on the quality. However, i am huge Hawaii Five-O fan and will take what i can get with the show even though quality was down on S10. I have order S11 and hope that before the end of the year S12 comes out. S11 also is the last season for Danno as he did not participate in S12.

I still prefer the original cast with kono, danno, chin ho kelly and mcgarrett. I like Kono's character and did not like when he was replace with Ben and then Duke down the road. I though Kono being a native islander brought something to the role. However, in defense of Ben and Duke's character they are not vital to the show as their role is more surveillance and/or interviewing people. The main roles are Danno, Mcgarrett and Chin Ho Kelly to lesser extent. I love looking at the cars and clothers from 1960s/1970s and 1980s along with te music. I was just a kid when the show first came out and do not remember it very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks