What's new

Hawaii Five-O: Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The crazy thing Gary is that I actually own all those different versions of Star Trek TOS on laserdisc, DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu ray. Not to mention all the other spin-off shows!

I'll go as far as S9 or 10 too. But I thought I'd stop at S6.

BTW, I was going to add that I'll give the new Hawaii Five-0 a shot. I'm curious what they did to it. However, the big thing that is nagging at me is that the same screenwriters who did the new Star Trek movie also are the producers and writers of this new series. I understand what they had to do to bring Star Trek to a mainstream audience. But in so doing, they sucked out a lot that was intelligent and thoughtful in the original with some big action sequences. I thought Abrams had a nice hand in directing the film and brought a lot of humanity to it. But it fell short for me in a few areas as a hard core Trek fan. It was definitely not "my" Star Trek, but for a new audience of younger people. So far, the trailers for Hawaii Five-0 look to be mindless action with explosions. The new McGarrett doesn't appear to have any Jack Lord gravitas. Especially the way he said Book 'em, Danno. But again, it's for a a new audience as was said above.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
There is an existing thread for discussion about Hawaii Five-O beyond the sixth season (including discussion about the revival). Isn't this thread meant to be about the ninth season?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
If people were creating new threads consistently just because they were too lazy to look past the first page I'd agree with you. But this discussion simply developed naturally in this particular thread and I really don't think it's that big a deal. Having said that there are no hard feelings on my end. Hope you feel the same.

FWIW, I don't plan on watching the new series either. The original is plenty good all by itself.

Gary "take care, buddy" O.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
"If people were creating new threads consistently just because they were too lazy to look past the first page I'd agree with you. But this discussion simply developed naturally in this particular thread and I really don't think it's that big a deal. Having said that there are no hard feelings on my end. Hope you feel the same."

I agree completely Gary !!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I like S9, especially the 9 dragons, which was the last time Wo Fat was in episode until the final episode. I like Wo Fat's character because it always added to the intringue. Wo Fat had like nine lives.

Target for a cop was a good episode, because it showed a young Gerald McRaney.

There are many other episodes, but these are two that i totally enjoyed.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I am just finishing up Season 7 and ordered Season 8 from Amazon tonight !

Glad to hear Season 9 still has some really good episodes !

Are there any rumors for Season 10 yet ??

Paramount

Insider
Real Name
Paramount
[SIZE= 14px]Hi Everyone - We will be announcing the street date for Hawaii Five-O: Season 10 on October 11th. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Brad - Season Ten might be coming earlier than the date of the rumor [/SIZE]

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
That's freakin unbelievable !

I will have to check Amazon.com and see if they show it yet !

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
I don't think that just adding a woman will do anything to make it a flop, today is obviously a different era and we are well past the point that a show has to be male dominated. I jst agree that we had 12 years of H5O, and about 160 shows, it's been done, lets move on. Unfortunately shows that are unique and different are not given a chance to grow they get cancelled right away, thats why networks Like FX and AMC are thriving and CBS and NBC are Languishing. Would either of them aired Breaking bad or Mad Men or Walking Dead, in fact I think Fox passed on Breaking Bad.. think they are sorry bout that, several emmy winners later ?

What you may not be aware of, Dave, is that after James McArthur (Danno) quit in 1979, the 12th Season two-hour Season Premiere featured an HPD cop named Lori Martin in "A Lion in the Streets". Her husband is killed and McGarrett decides to add her to the Five-O team.

He also brought on two other cops to work with him and Duke, played by TV vets William Smith and as "Truck", Moe Keale. Heavyset Moe had guest starred in different roles (usually as a villain) before joining the cast, just as Al Harrington did prior to his being cast as Ben Kokua.

Lori, meanwhile, was played by another frequent Five-O guest star over the years Sharon Farrell. Unfortunately, she didn't work out and was dropped before 1979 became 1980.

It should be noted that the 12th Season of this series suffered due to horrible writing, much like the 14th and final season of BONANZA did.....only worse! The 11th Season was almost masterful compared to what Five-O became after Danno left (it also had a superior version of the series' theme, which was downgraded by the last year).

As for the remake.....WHY? Sure, Grace Park is sexy but so what? Her character used to be Kono, suddenly made a woman! Remaking this series made as much sense as changing Greek Theo Kojak (Telly Savalas) into a black Kojak (Ving Rhames). That show barely made it out of 2005. I hope the new Hawaii Five-O doesn't last beyond Christmas. The same with the new "Nikita". Some TV classics shouldn't be messed with.

JEFF

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Executive

you can really see that hollywood is playing a dangerous game around movies/tv shows. There are some good shows, but, lets face it the bad show outweight any new the network attempts. So, there last ditch effort is to re-make shows from the past, but, the past is the past for a reason. The past is a different time and the issue of that time are different to the issues today. Hawaii Five-O set itself up nicely early on with many episodes related to environmental, Red China, smuggling, drugs, etc. Hawaii Five-O was a good show for it time, because it assemble the correct cast earlier on with characters like Danno, Kano, Chin Ho Kelly and of course McGarrett. However, like any show over time it goes through a transformation and it became difficult to keep the content going for so many years. Plus during the 1970s there was a ton of crime dramas, like the following

1. Starsky and Hutch

2. The Rookies

3. Police Woman

4. Kojack

5. Rockford Files

6. Cannon

7. Barnaby Jones

8. Adam-12

9. Harry O

10. Mannix

I wish the new show luck, but, it probably will have its issue keeping the fans over time, if the writing/plots are not up to standard. The first week was good, but lets see how new hawaii five-o does over the next few weeks.

I have mentioned on earlier post that i have no plans to watch the new version hawaii five-o and i will be staying to that plan.

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
Hawaii Five-O for the most part was not an issue-oriented crime show, so there was no need to update it in this century any more than Stephen J. Cannell's failed TV-movie pilot in 1997. (The odd thing about that was....according to the IMDB, that among some other original series regulars it featured Kam Fong, in spite of the fact that Chin Ho had been murdered 19 years earlier!!!)

The original series was at its best when it was a battle of wits against Steve McGarrett and the men or women whom he usually caught. The most outstanding stories were those that involved intricate crimes and capers that made the viewers praise the writers for devising such clever heists!

The remakes were (and are) feeble attempts for CBS to make squeeze as much money as they can out of their own franchise. With the networks it was -- and still is -- all about the ratings, and not the fans. There is no attempt at nostalgia with the new Five-O. It is a poor reworking more than a remake.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Quote by Executive

"It should be noted that the 12th Season of this series suffered due to terrible writing..."

It was also due to FREQUENTLY being Pre-Empted by CBS for some kind of "Special" Programming, sometimes for the entire month! I'm certain people, seeing that the show was not being seen, thought the show had already been cancelled, and moved on to watch other programming.

This has been the death of many a show over the years. (And still is)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Originally Posted by Guy Foulard music was adapted from Morton Stevens' Hawaii Five-O score!
This is a real shot in the dark question that I don't think anybody can answer, but in the early mid 70's CBS used to run a montage promo for all their shows with some very memorable music. It had kind of a soaring string section and I never forgot it. In later years I thought the music might have been taken from NFL films, because that's what it sounded like. The only other time I heard this music was in a promo for Hawai Five-O that aired on a UHF station. It was not included on the Hawai Five-O soundtrack and is not on any of the NFL soundtracks. I'm starting to think it might be Morton Stevens music, but don't know. Does anybody have any idea?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Cannell was totally ignorant of the fact that Chin had been killed off when he called Kam Fong and all the other people who knew better weren't going to tell Cannell and thus deny their old friend of a paycheck!

Originally Posted by Executive

Hawaii Five-O for the most part was not an issue-oriented crime show, so there was no need to update it in this century any more than Stephen J. Cannell's failed TV-movie pilot in 1997. (The odd thing about that was....according to the IMDB, that among some other original series regulars it featured Kam Fong, in spite of the fact that Chin Ho had been murdered 19 years earlier!!!)

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
On CBS Facebook, it says Season 10 will available December 14th and ready fro preorder on Amazon November 14th !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks