What's new

Hawaii 5-0 - season 2 thread (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Nelson Au said:
I agree Caan's appearance was good. I was wondering though why they didn't make him Danny's father. But this way, he could play a slightly shady character. The nick names were good too, felt like Lost again.
The story was boring though, I nodded off. :(
Oh yeah, I thought the one break through was Masi loosing his composure when his van was stolen. He was acting more like a real person, then his normal way of playing the Doc.
While I still like the guy and have in the past, I hardly recognized Caan in the show. He has REALLY aged in the past 4-6 years from when Las Vegas was on. It was almost like watching a Grandpa type of character trying to do a geriatric bad guy/good guy that I thought was a bit unconvincing at best.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by AlexF /t/314916/hawaii-5-0-season-2-thread/60#post_3903005
Reported last night: Alex O'Laughlin is going to be in rehab when episode 20 finishes shooting tomorrow. Apparently that episode will be a "coroner heavy" one, and the season will be 23 episodes long in total.

So this could mean the NCIS: Los Angeles crossover will be episode episode 21 or 22 (doubting it will be the season finale). Unless the crossover is shelved until the third season, if Hawaii Five-0 is renewed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
CBS has Alex O'Loughlin under a personal services contract, so it's in their best interests to get him hale and hearty. They've worked hard setting him up in a hit series after two prior disappointments, so I have no doubt that he'll recover, finish out the season, and that the show will be renewed for another season. It'll be a good time for the crossover to happen while he's away, actually, as with so many characters, he won't be missed as much.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The episode "Deceiver" was easily one of the best so far this season. Must have been one of the most expensive episodes filmed since the show's pilot. Five-0 has had a "24" feel to it, but moreso in this episode. The Jenna Kaye sub-plot appears to be resolved, but the mystery of Wo Fat continues. David Keith was entertaining (thought his character in the episode he appeared in earlier this season was going to be a villain, and hopefully he will return sometime during the remainder of this season.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The episode "Trap" was on the whole very good (couple of good twists). The 'Shellburn' mytharc thickened (shall be interesting to see where this goes). What was baffling though, was the end of the episode when Joe White spoke to a mystery person on the phone. On the one hand he is working with McGarrett, then on the other hand he's working against him. Just doesn't make sense.

The next episode is the one with the excessive product placement (based on a post on page 2 of this thread).

Looking forward to the episode with James Caan guest starring,

and the sort of sequel to the original series' eighth season episode "Wooden Model of a Rat", with Ed Asner reprising his role of August March.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/314916/hawaii-5-0-season-2-thread/60#post_3906899
Well, James Caan has only guest starred in one episode thus far.
The way how I had presented my previous post, half of it was a spoiler, so even though the half which can be read, reads like James Caan has guest starred in more than one episode (which he hasn't), I was posting about more than one guest star (hence "..to the episodes...").

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The episode "Gone Forever" was on the whole quite good. One of the highlights was Tom Sizemore having more screentime (Lauren German had less screentime in this episode), with a case that started with a 'dead' body in an abandoned (but cordoned off) bunker. The ending to the episode just continued the "has this mytharc been thought out properly?" storyline with Joe White. Reiko Aylesworth was wasted again (she seemed to have more screentime in a first season episode).

Next episode is "The Fix".

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It will be interesting to see how they blend the footage from TOS Hawaii Five-0 to the new show.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this week's episode with Ed Asner guest starring. I haven't seen the original episode yet where he appears with the Jack Lord McGarrett. I haven't gotten that season on DVD yet, but I probably saw it back in the day.
The only thing that was goofy was the dialogue that Ed Asner's character asks McGarrett if the McGarrett that arrested him was any relation. And McGarrett responds that it was his father. So the writers have done a Star Trek like reboot and made the original McGarrett Jack Lord portrayed not related to the new one's universe. This is a parallel universe version of Hawaii Five-0 and the Ed Asner character has somehow crossed a portal and has stepped into the modern series.
The ending was a nice surprise. Looks like we haven't seen the end of him.
Alex O'Loughlin was certainly absent a lot in this episode. Given the storyline, you'd think he'd be all over the case. So Sizemore must have been brought in to help while O'Loughlin was out in rehab. It was cool to see Danno take over a bit too.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Just thought I'd ask if there's any update on the crossover with NCIS: Los Angeles...is it still happening, or is it possible it's been pushed back to next season (the show was renewed for a third season earlier this month)?

Last week's episode "The Fix" was fairly good. The teaser was written well, making you think they were going in a predictable direction before going in a different way. The ongoing Joe White sub-plot continued, but didn't add much this episode which enhanced this sub-plot.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's happening this season (already filmed), and it happens to be the episode when Alex O'Loughlin will be completely absent (due to his stint in rehab). With both casts present, it's probably the best time since he won't be missed as much.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I read O'Loughlin only missed one episode. Also, Michelle Borth (Lt.Rollins) will be a full time character next season. So the chemistry between her & McGarrett we all liked was liked by the producers.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/314916/hawaii-5-0-season-2-thread/90#post_3912050
It's happening this season (already filmed), and it happens to be the episode when Alex O'Loughlin will be completely absent (due to his stint in rehab). With both casts present, it's probably the best time since he won't be missed as much.
So the episode which focuses on the coroner, Alex O'Loughlin is partly in? Not sure whether this crossover will be the same without him not being in it completely. Assuming he won't appear at all on the NCIS: Los Angeles episode, when I first read the news about this crossover it said Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan would appear on the NCIS: Los Angeles part of the crossover, so will Daniel Dae Kim replace Alex O'Loughlin? Or are the whole main casts of both shows (with the exception of Alex O'Loughlin) appearing in both parts of the crossover?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The episode "The Package" started off very well with a teaser - which reminded me of the original series' fourth season episode "3,000 Crooked Miles to Honolulu". Five-0's case provided the majority of the best moments of this episode. The 'Shellburn' mytharc made some progress. Not sure whether I like what they've done with who or what 'Shellburn' is.

Am hoping Tom Sizemore appears more often in this season, and even though it's set over on the East Coast, would like to see a crossover next season with the original NCIS.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
"Out of the Past" was better than I expected it to be. More of a straightforward revenge plot, compared to last week's episode of Grimm. However, the story on the whole kept you gripped, and there were some tense moments towards the end. The actor who played the ex-cop partner of Danno's, looked like the actor who played one of the villains in Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995). Having checked the IMDb, it was the same actor - guest star Peter Greene (in hindsight, he was credited at the end of the guest cast credits after the title sequence for this episode) was indeed in the Under Siege sequel.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting episode last night that focused on Max.
That finally explains why they decided to have an Asian actor play an Asian character with a non Asian name!
I thought Danno in charge worked out well and the goofy little exchange with Chin Ho and Danno seems like it could have originally been written for McGarrett and Danno.
And the last scene with McGarrett in Japan looked like a very good way to explain his disappearance. And would likely add to the season finale. But what kept going through my mind is that Jack Lord's McGarrett would not likely do that, nor would this new McGarrett. And that is to suddenly take off and leave Danno a note. But they covered his disappearance pretty well. Having Max be more involved with the other characters worked out here.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Those couple of appearances by Alex O'Loughlin appeared to me to be either flashbacks from an earlier episode or a jerry-rigged shot since Alex had likely started his rehab by this time.

He was greatly missed though I certainly think Danno can lead the team just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks