What's new

Hawaii 5-0 season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Watson
I am enjoying this remake on Hawaii Five-O. The cast jells well together and the writing is good.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I love it, too, with each episode I enjoy it more and more and that, for me, is a personal sign that I'm really digging a show because usually it's the opposite, I like it early and then grow tired of it, not so here.

Scott Caan is fast emerging as my favorite character, his level of intimidation would make Jack Bauer weep, when he really gets worked up and pissed I actually fear him a little and I can't say that about many characters either on film or on TV lol.

When those losers high jacked his ex''s car with his daughter inside my immediate thought was "Ohhhh you clowns are just shoppin' for an ass whoopin' when Danny finds out about this."

Spero D

Second Unit
I can suspend disbelief for a bit during these hi-tech cop shows, but Kono was testing my resolve this week. When she blew up the image of the SUV, then tossed it from one screen to the other, and highlight the tire tread all with like two swipes of her hand…

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't mind that sort of thing, being a fan of 24 I'm used to taking liberties with technology on these kinds of shows.

What an outstanding episode this week, Dane Cook can be a great actor when he wants to be as evidenced by his performance not just here but in Mr. Brooks. The crimes on this show are brutal at times, I wanted Five-O to take down that scumbag bomber in the worst way.

Once again Caan proves he's a force to be reckoned with not just as a character but as an actor as well, he's a pleasure to watch week to week.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I think this series just gets better with each episode. And I'm really starting to think that Danny and Rachel will reconcile, which IMO would be a very good thing for all parties involved. I'm also liking the banter between Steve (or should I say "Steven" ;)) more than I did in the first four or five episodes. Their disagreements are a lot easier to take now that I know each of them really likes the other and has each others' backs.

BTW, this week's episode had Deborah Farentino in it. I remember her from Earth 2 (a series that IMO should have had at least two more seasons).

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I, and the rest of the familia, have grown to be big fans of this incarnate of 5-0. While I agree with the Inspector on Dano being a badass, it is hard not to really notice what a short badass he is. Especially standing next to his "brother" - WTF? So they had different Dads or what...? I like the idea of Dano and Rachel reconciling as I am a softie at heart, but I don't ever see that happening as the storyline of "bittersweet lost love" are far too interesting for the writers than that of a happily remarried Dano....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen this week's episode yet. But I came to a realization from the 4 or so episodes of late. They have a vague feeling of having parts of plot lifted and redressed from the original Hawaii Five-0. It's just a feeling, but I think it's true. The bit with Danny's ex who was having that issue with the land owner guy. The earlier episode with the surfing and how the guy who made millions with surfing gear was killed for trying to protect land from hotel development. That one came from the original's first season. This is not a complaint, I'm just kind feeling a sense of Deja Vu. edit: Scott, I just saw your post, I agree, if Danno and his ex reconcile, it would be good. And the banter between Steven and Danny is easier to take to take now. :) It seems that this show is building up more facets of the main characters then the original had. And this is what they are using to separate itself from the original. They have a lot more attitude and backstory. I miss Kono calling Steve, "boss". Or perhaps I missed that.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yeah, both Danny and Jack are shortstops but you wouldn't catch me poking either of them with a stick, I mean Danny's got forearms like freakin' Redwood trees!

Have you seen this, Mike? lol...

That scene gets funnier each time I watch it, it actually plays like some fevered nightmare that Logan is having, expecting him to wake up screaming and sweating lol.

I especially love it when Logan is on the gurney after the assault and he tells Suvarov the news of Jack's rampage, he's almost half laughing and half clearing his throat lol.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
We just started Season 2 and we were surprised when the episode Forty Feet High and it Kills turned out to be about a faked tsunami warning, though the plot diverged drastically from the new version after about 15 minutes. Also, the old McGarret figured out it was phony a lot quicker than the new one! [/url]

I have not seen this week's episode yet. But I came to a realization from the 4 or so episodes of late. They have a vague feeling of having parts of plot lifted and redressed from the original Hawaii Five-0.
[/quote]

Spero D

Second Unit
Not to bad an ep. Liked the ending with Wo Fat, didn't like the new girl, also when will they finally ditch Hiro from the series as the show just comes to a grinding halt when he's in the show.

Best line of the night- Danny calling Steve a devourer of dreams and saying he was like a Pac-Man in khaki pants. :)

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
In Germany we´re just at the fourth episode of Season 1.

Which episode is coming up this week in the US?

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino

In Germany we´re just at the fourth episode of Season 1.

Which episode is coming up this week in the US?
It was a repeat IIRC.

Last week's episode was S1 E19.

Still haven't seen it, planning on tonight. Win7 Media Center is very nice for ADHD and OCD people :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I like this show, but is it just me, or does it seem like there's never a new one on?

(Maybe it's just cause most of the shows I watch these day are serialized, stuff like 24 was or whatever, where they don't rerun anything during the season.)

I decided to look on IMDB to check the original airdates, and here's what I found:

- The first ten episodes aired without a break in between weeks, and then they took a break

- Two new episodes followed, then another break (more reruns)

- One new episode, then yet another break with even more reruns

- Two new episodes, then another break, more reruns

- Three new episodes, then more reruns

- One new episode, yet again more reruns

- Two new episodes, followed by more reruns (which brings us up to date)

Is it just me, or is that a ridiculous amount of reruns/ridiculously low number of new episodes shown week-to-week? I'm OK with shows taking that Thanksgiving or Christmas break, and even getting a few weeks off in the spring, but this is just insane. I mean, since Thanksgiving, only once have they shown more than two new episodes in a row without reruns in between, and twice they even just went with one new episode and a bunch of reruns.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, the repeats have allowed me to catch up. I missed tonight's episode from the first airing, though the phone rang so I missed the first 20 minutes tonight. I didn't realize Wo Fat was introduced then, I only saw the other time Wo Fat appeared. I saw the Diddy Combs episode but still have the Sci Fi convention episode in my DVR to watch, that one looks like more clues are revealed. The networks seem to all be showing reruns to stretch out the season. But what amazes me in removing the commercials in the recordings is that today's TV shows are close to 42 minutes long. With one commercial break almost 6 minutes long. That's a lot of commercials.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Originally Posted by Josh Steinberg

Is it just me, or is that a ridiculous amount of reruns/ridiculously low number of new episodes shown week-to-week?

That's what happens when you have 22 or 23 episodes starting in late September; and ratings "sweeps" in November, February, and May. Some networks have tried to get away from this model, but not surprisingly, they've bungled it so far.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Originally Posted by Ken Chan

That's what happens when you have 22 or 23 episodes starting in late September; and ratings "sweeps" in November, February, and May. Some networks have tried to get away from this model, but not surprisingly, they've bungled it so far.

I guess I've been lucky in that most of the shows I watch "live" don't seem to do this to the extreme that I've noticed with Hawaii 5-0. I just never seem to know when a new episode is going to be on. It doesn't help that on the CBS website or places like IMDB, up until maybe the week before a new episode, there's rarely notice of when the next new one is coming. At least with (as a recent example) "Fringe" on Fox, when they take a break, it says pretty clearly on their next episode promo or whatever when the new episodes will be coming. I understand that the days of 20 episodes of a show being shown without a rerun are gone (if they ever existed in the first place) but CBS's pattern of showing basically one or two new episodes and then taking as many or more weeks off really makes it hard for me to stay involved. One of the things I like most about TV series vs. feature films is that they give the opportunity to enjoy the same characters or a continuing story from week to week, and when that's constantly being interrupted, it takes the fun out of it for me. I hate to say it, but if this is how CBS is going to air this show, I might just start DVRing the show and waiting until there are more than two episodes before watching.

Maybe I'm just too cynical for my own good, but it seems like TV networks do everything they can to alienate viewers and then act completely shocked when the viewers turn out to have been alienated.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
It's not just this show, this is the trend for a good 15 plus years now. Just go back and look at the number of shows produced and the amount of time advertising from years past. Take Magnum PI for example, one of my favorite shows from the '80s. You have 52 minute episodes and about 22-25 episodes per season. Advertising has gotten absurd and is taking more and more time away from the script writing. You now have 10 minutes more on average than in years past. All it amounts to is simply greed. There were hardly no repeats back then, or at least it felt much better than anything the past 15 or so years has.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Originally Posted by Jeffery_H

It's not just this show, this is the trend for a good 15 plus years now. Just go back and look at the number of shows produced and the amount of time advertising from years past. Take Magnum PI for example, one of my favorite shows from the '80s. You have 52 minute episodes and about 22-25 episodes per season. Advertising has gotten absurd and is taking more and more time away from the script writing. You now have 10 minutes more on average than in years past. All it amounts to is simply greed. There were hardly no repeats back then, or at least it felt much better than anything the past 15 or so years has.

I'm used to shows getting shorter and I'm used to breaks at certain point between episodes -- I know having a show like Lost or 24 where there's a new episode every week from start to finish, or maybe only one break along the way, is rare. (I'm just thankful that for shows of that type, the networks seem to get that that's the best way to run them.) But what really has struck me with Hawaii Five-0, and as you and others have pointed out, may just be a case of me paying more attention as opposed to networks doing something different, is the frequency of breaks and the relatively small numbers of new episodes aired in a row. For other shows that I watch, it feels like the pattern is closer to being, maybe 8-10 episodes in the fall from September through just before Thanksgiving, maybe three episodes between Thanksgiving and Christmas, maybe another 6-8 in a row happening sometime between January and March or February and April, and then the final four or five in a row around May. The way Hawaii began, with ten new episodes back-to-back, that seemed normal. What hasn't seemed normal is that they'll show only one or two new ones and then put on weeks of reruns -- it feels like that number should be at least four before going on a break. I much prefer when a network will take a month off instead of two weeks, but clearly announce at the end of the last of the batch "returning on such-and-such date", rather than the weekly will-there-be-a-new-one-this-week mystery that I perceive to be going on here. It may just be the combination of shows that I watch has shielded me from how often this might actually happen. It's just that the one-and-done or two-and-done feels completely absurd to me. Based on that list I put together above with the break schedule for this season -- six different times have they gone on breaks between new episodes! Six! And not counting the original run of ten episodes, the most they've shown together since then has been three, which only happened once -- the other times it's been only two episodes, sometimes only one. I think that would try anyone's patience.

It's frustrating because I like the show, and also because to me, Monday is one of my favorite nights for TV viewing.. you get out of work for the day, the whole work week is still ahead, I'm a baseball fan and Monday is often the night that teams have off, so it's just a good night to have new episodes of things. Anything that can make me look forward to Monday is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks