What's new

Hawaii 5-0 season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
CBS revamps Hawaii 5-0 and boots CSI: Miami out of its Monday 10 p.m. EDT timeslot. I have no idea why casting directors love Alex O'Loughlin so much, but perhaps this show stick for him. Grace Park continues her trend of turning male characters from old shows into female characters in their remakes.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah one of My Favorite shows, its going to be hard to modernize this series and not just make it just another Police Proceedural. I like how they make James Cann Danno, the lone hold out in a Suit and tie. And the opening montage clones the original, still I question the need for this series when we had so many years of the original. Jack Lord Was H5O so it's gonna be hard to replace him.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
From the promos I've seen, not so sure it will be a procedural like CSI, but more like the NCIS spin-off NCIS Los Angeles. Oh wait, NCIS: Hawaii! I'm sure if it works, it will appeal to the modern audience and those of us who grew up with Jack Lord will have trouble with it. Or accept it.

The strange thing is this new McGarrett is nothing like Lord in the promos. He's not as serious and I can see it's like when Roger Moore took over as Bond, he had to play him differently in order to work with his personality and to help the audience accept him.

And yes Dave, the casual dress, from what I've seen is so similar to other shows. If they all wore suits, that would have helped set it apart.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Enjoyed the pilot and I was an original series fan. I realize story structure has changed and this new version seems right for the current day and age. I don't think an all knowing McGarrett would work in 2010.

Alex Loughlin is no Jack Lord and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Scott Cann's "Danno" stole the show and seems poised to become the breakout character, althought Grace Park looked amazing in her two scenes. Will be sticking with this for a few more weeks at least.

Doug

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I thought this was an entertaining, fast-paced ride. The showrunners did a decent job of marrying a bit of backstory with the action, action, action! It's also a nice surprise to see a CBS police drama that doesn't appear to be filmed through any particularly-colored lens filter. I'll stick around for a few more episodes to see where it all leads. Looks like Alex O'Loughlin may have finally landed in a hit series...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was not particularly enthused by the show. It started a bit shakily for me with the action-packed, "war-movie" intro followed by the clashing Hawaii 5-0 theme song, which sounded cheesy in contrast. It proceeded with stylistic aplomb but I didn't like either of the main characters; more irritating than interesting. I was also befuddled by what seemed to be a major IRA terrorist in Hawaii, guessing from his accent. I thought Belfast bombers went out of style 20 years ago with Tom Clancy's Patriot Games.

I like "Jin" (actor from Lost) and of course Grace Park is always welcome.

H50 is not going to be a Tivo season pass this year. I'm sure I'll catch episodes now and again. And as the show finds itself and the characters round out, it will be more enjoyable to me.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Lame, cliched, dull. That goes for the story and the characters -- and especially the dialogue. Once was enough for this one. If I watch TV at 10 on a Monday, I'll watch Castle.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
It was okay and I will stick around for a few more episodes. If it doesn't find its pace quickly though, it will not last. Liked Grace Park. What a cutie.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was sort of cringing for Grace Park during the "take off your dress" scene. Let's hope she get some more substantial writing for her character.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

I was sort of cringing for Grace Park during the "take off your dress" scene. Let's hope she get some more substantial writing for her character.

Not me, my eyes were wide open for that scene.

Crawdaddy

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I was sort of cringing for Grace Park during the "take off your dress" scene.[/COLOR]

Well, that was sort of the point - to reinforce that the bad guys were bad guys. Obviously it also puts Grace Park on display to "sell" the show. I want to believe that Grace Park was okay with the scene or she wouldn't have participated.

As far as the show goes, I wasn't terribly impressed with the writing but I'll stick around. I suspect this will be another NCIS type of show for me, where I watch it for the chemistry of the cast and not the writing - which I consider serviceable.

- Walter.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone think it was funny that they had O'Loughlin, who played a Vampire P.I. in "Moonlight" fight Marsters, who played Spike (Vampire) on Buffy in the final fight?

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Couldn't watch this. The presence of Scott "Napoleon Complex" Caan ruins it. The guy is a douche in everything he does, most recently Entourage.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just watched this. Orci and Kurtzman strike again, take a beloved franchise and re-invent it. I suppose it's no different to how Moore re-imagined Galactica.

I have trouble when they feel they have to craft new backstories for each character. But on the whole, I can see this working for a new generation of viewers. They have to spice it up and reflect a modern audience.

Parts I didn't like is how disrespectful McGarrett is to the Governor. That was plain odd! But I know it reflects today's attitudes. But still.

I was confused by who John McGarrett was. I believe he was a cop. And I guess we'll learn more about that if the show goes on. Then what I find as odd is Orci and Kurtzman bringing in McGarrett's Mercury from the Jack Lord series. If I understand it, that's the actual car used in the original series, the second Mercury. I kept thinking that with the car there, John McGarrett was supposed to be the Jack Lord character and this is his son. I see now that's not the case. They just brought the car in for a nod to the Lord series? Confused me.

There were parts I kind of liked. After I got used the new characters, I warmed up to James Caan. I don't know what else he's done, so I don't have any preconceptions. I liked the humor there. Nice to see Dae Kim back after Lost and doing another character. Grace Park was okay as Kono. The jury is still out on the new McGarrett for me. Even Jack Lord's character didn't push the boundaries that far in terms of the law. But again, I realize this is a new era and those days are long gone.

I'll watch one more episode. I don't watch NCIS Los Angeles regualrly. I saw one episode, and this feels like that show.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I gather the Mercury was a cameo appearance, a nod to the original show.

Originally Posted by DaveF

I was also befuddled by what seemed to be a major IRA terrorist in Hawaii, guessing from his accent.

Since his brother was captured, he was there specifically to threaten McGarrett's father, Sheriff Valenti. (Don't get confused, that's actually a joke. He's not a sheriff in Hawaii, but he was a cop that worked with Chin Ho Kelly.)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering if James Marsters will be a recurring character. Didn't see a body at the end. Loved how the theme sounded pumping thru my system. Too bad it was cut to about half it's length from the original. Though, in these days of no themes and brief title cards, we were lucky to get what we did. The bickering between McGarrett and Dano seemed forced and over the top, but I'll give the show a few more viewings. Its probably been years since I regularly watched a cop show... NYPD Blue may have been the last one.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The original series was before my time but I was aware of it, Jack Lord, "Book em', Dano" and that famous theme music so my expectation going into the revamp were low and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.

Alex O'Laughlin and Scott Caan established the usual type of buddy cop angles you'd expect and they worked well together, couple that with Danial Day Kim and Grace Park (yummy) and we've got a strong core group.

All in all it was great fun, great action, comedy and Hawaii (and Grace) in HD, what more could one want lol?

BTW, I am very used to Marsters with black hair since he played Brainiac on Smallville, it was great seeing him again, he will always be Spike to me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Never heard of this Marsters actor before. But someone above did mention that it was not seen if his body was retrieved from the ocean after McGarrett told Danno to get someone to pull it out. So could he be the new Wo Fat recurring baddie in the event he didn't die and get away?

I was re-viewing a segment towards the end and I could see they use the Iolani Palace again for the 5-0 headquarters. Another homage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks