What's new

Pre-Order Hawaii (1966) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
51-3FY8sulL.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
At 161 minutes, I suspect it's the same transfer of the general release version that Twilight Time put out (minus the standard definition Roadshow version ported over from the laser disc).

Still, I'm surprised that it and the also announced Baby Boom are being released by this "Sandpiper Pictures" instead of Kino Lorber which has a licensing deal with MGM.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
maybe kino can get just the roadshow version and put the stereo track from the laser back onto the disc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never heard of "Sandpiper Pictures" and can't find anything about them.

Never heard of them either

This is what I am assuming is happening...

I do know from my days talking with Nick Redman of Twilight Time, that the studios were licensing out their product for limited runs. This would enable the studio to take their license back and then continue licensing to other companies. Sounds like a win-win for the studio to keep revenue rolling in.

So, again assuming, there are all these small boutique labels that are vying for these titles to release them on a limited licensed run. It looks like Sandpiper Pictures is a new entry label. Whether they will survive or not is anyone's guess.

I also think that unless a title is being released by Kino (who sometimes does additional restoration work), you are getting the same exact transfer that was available from Twilight Time.

If there is additional material to be had here, such as an overture, it would be essential for the company to make that information known if they want prior purchasers to upgrade. Sounds like based on the running time, it's the same transfer.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I think it's great a new boutique label is emerging, specially after we lost Twilight Time and Olive Films. Looks like on 11/30 Sandpiper Pictures released Baby Boom and The Man In The Moon, Posse comes out on December 14th along with Hawaii. Hopefully these do well for them so they can release more. Maybe some titles that haven't been released by twilight time already. I wonder if Kino passed on Hawaii since the roadshow can not be restored. I do like that Sandpiper is using the original cover art.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks