What's new

Having trouble finding recent Fox Studio Classics (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
great news about possible inclusions of any John Ford film is worth it.

I have bought 4 so far and by the end of the year, I will have all the Fox Classics, whether Sunrise will be among them is a sure thing though when is the better question

:D

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have bought 4 so far and by the end of the year, I will have all the Fox Classics, whether Sunrise will be among them is a sure thing though when is the better question
Surely oscar, including receipts will be a problem, even if you have a contact in the US who is willing to apply to get it for you?

---
So many films, so little time...

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Checking in from Wal-Mart...

My valley wasn't green, the gentlemen did not agree, and the earth did not stand still. In other words, not a single Fox Studio Classic in sight.

They did, however, have a more-than-ample supply of "Old School". *sigh*

Jon

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
And I sure betcha Bernadette didn't sing...IMO that is the hardest one to find in B&M's, least around here. Ummm, for some others I mean, they're all hard for you.

An apology to the local Best Buy: they did have one copy of one of the SC titles. While scrounging for them I came across Walt Disney tins from 2 years ago, some I didn't have...so not a wasted trip.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Sam's Club has had some of the Fox Classics line, so I'm not sure why they haven't filtered into Wal-Mart yet.
It all depends on what they want slotted.

Costco has some of the earlier titles but nothing since. This is disappointing as they were priced at $9.95. Perhaps the earlier titles didn't sell to expectations so they dropped the series. Can't really blame them as at that price you would think they would move. It is possible that this was a local decision versus national but I wouldn't bet on it.

However, I don't see the point in wasting time and money searching for this stuff locally when DDD has them at a good price, free shipping and no sales tax. And as other have mentioned - online receipts work fine for getting Sunrise.

I received my copy of Sunrise after about one month's wait (which isn't bad). People have spectulated that at some point Sunrise will be sold on the shelf. I doubt it. If they had that approach I think they would have given the title a number on the spine like they did all the others. They didn't so my quess is that it will be a limited edition as labeled. Great movie and amazing for its day.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
In my extensive retail management background, local managers have little or no control over what they stock in their stores on a title-by-title basis, or even on a genre ("classics"). The corporate buyers look at computer data that tracks what has sold in the past in the store and adjust inventory levels accordingly on a "group" basis (almost like a genre, but not quite: "romantic comedy from the 80's" would be a "group"). Once they decide a store does not sell that group well, they fail to stock shelves with it even when something new and interesting comes along that might bust that "model".
All that does is drive people like me to buying online.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I have bought all these classics so far, but I'll be stalled on Titanic. There's no way this movie is in a class with the others.

Actually, the three of these in color, I think, are lesser quality pictures, An Affair to Remember, Love is a Many-Splendored Thing, and Anastasia. Interesting that these all fall in the 50s.

But All About Eve, How Green Was My Valley, The Song of Bernadette, Grapes of Wrath, Oxbow Incident, ... these are first rank movies. All from the 40s, with All About Eve in 1950.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks