Having trouble finding recent Fox Studio Classics

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon_Are, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I had no problem whatsoever picking up the first six of this series, but the last three - Love is a Many Splendored Thing, Song of Bernadette, and Anastasia - remain un-purchased by me because I have not seen them in stores.

I went to Best Buy and Circuit City today. BB had a sampling of the older titles (Day the Earth Stood Still, All About Eve, An Affair To Remember) but none of the three I need. And CC had nothing.

Anyone else having trouble? Has anyone seen these in any of the big retailers?

If I buy these online, would that receipt suffice for the Wings rebate?

Thanks,

Jon

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I haven't heard of the Wings rebate, what's that? Anyway, I've also not been able to find the most recent ones in stores. DVDEmpire has them all for about $13.99; I'm waiting until I've got about 4 that I need to pick up, so I get free shipping as well.

3. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Around here, Wal-Mart has been the most reliable supplier...I have never seen one of these Fox titles at the local Best Buy.

At the local WM's, these titles sell out really fast when new. Song of Bernadette stock didn't last 2 days, Anastasia was all gone by last night. I remember getting the last copy of TDTESS at one WM on release day...for example.

As noted in one of the "Sunrise" threads, these Studio Classic movies are proving more popular than Fox apparently expected. I see new stock appearing sporadically at the local video stores (except BB)...so don't give up hope, they'll show up.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    For those who belong to Columbia House, I saw several of them listed in the new catalog for $12.99 each. And if you buy 3 or more DVD's, shipping and handling is free!

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Duh...

I meant Sunrise, not Wings.

And it ain't a rebate. :b

Jon

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

1) I never saw the first 3-4 in stores until around the time #4 or #5 was released. The Day The Earth Stood Still and The Ghost & Mrs. Muir seemed to spark more interest among the coporate buyers at the retail chains.

2) Since then, the new releases in the series have once again not been showing up on street date.

3) Best Buy just finally got in The Song of Bernadette about a month late.

4) Borders is the best place to find these on or near street date. It's the only place I've found Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing. I haven't made it back out there to check for Anastasia yet.

5) I haven't seen a single one in this series at Wal-Mart. I usually visit 2 different locations that are near my home, and neither one has had any of them.

6) Noone has stocked more than 1-3 copies of any of these title at a time.

Still, it's worth doing the extra work to get this nice lineup. Here once again is the April - December lineup:
    [​IMG]

8. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Laura and The Ox-Bow Incident are mine!

The former is one of the most seductive and thrilling examples of film noir ever made, and the latter is one of the lost Hollywood classics - a fascinating and deeply moving morality play that I can hardly believe was made by a major studio.

9. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

You shouldn't have any problems with internet purchases qualifying for the Sunrise offer. I purchased my discs from DVDEmpire and had no trouble getting the Sunrise DVD. Just be sure to send in all the required information asked on the offer form like including proof of purchase labels, and the original receipt.

10. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I guess local managers can choose among the corporately stocked titles, according to what they think will sell in their area. The local Best Buy doesn't stock any classic films really...they have a large variety in general, but it's pretty pop stuff. The local Wal-Marts always have all the Studio Classics on release day. For those in Canada, Future Shop seems to get them all but usually a bit late, usually cost a little more than WM, but occasionally cheaper when you buy 2.

11. StephanieC

StephanieC Stunt Coordinator

I got my Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing from Columbia House and The Song of Bernadette and Anastasia from Suncoast, since they were having a 2 for $32 sale. Usually I wouldn't buy from them since they tend to be pricier, but it was the only B & M store I've seen them at so far.

12. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I had the same problem with SONG OF BERNADETTE, my local Best Buy and Tower didn't have it. Ended up ordering it online from Amazon.

EDIT: As long as you have your original receipt, ordering online won't invalidate the SUNRISE offer. I sent for mine today, and all 3 DVD's were internet purchases.

13. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

14. David Lambert

15. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    That would explain why my BB doesn't and probably won't have classic movies...can't get any data on nothing. They have quite a few specialty DVD sections, but no classics section. Anyway, a store that makes most of its money on selling hardware...I don't expect them to pay a huge amount of attention to DVD's, but nice if they do.

16. David Lambert

I just found something of interest, thanks to lurking in another DVD discussion forum. Follow this link to an article discussing the line of classics, and some Fox history to boot.

Of particular interest is this paragraph:

[​IMG]

17. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

ANASTASIA was nowhere to be found today at the Tower Video by Lincoln Center in Manhattan.

18. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Wow, great news about future Fox classics.

And great information on that site, Dave. I found this interesting passage in a review of How Green Was My Valley :

19. David Lambert

That IS a neat site, but I can't take credit for anything except passing it on to this site.

A nice selection of proposed titles for 2004. I wonder how hard it would be to convince Fox to add The Three Faces of Eve to that list? One of my most-wanted titles!

20. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    As someone who has bought six of these titles in this fantastic series thus far (and I plan on getting them all), I'm still trying to work out how the heck I can lay my hands on a copy of Sunrise myself!

---
    So many films, so little time...