having trouble calibrating subwofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff-, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Jeff-

Jeff- Extra

I have a Velodyne HGS15 sub and a Lexicon MC1. I calibrate, using the Avia DVD, the sub by adjusting the volume control on the sub itself. Then swithch over to the Video Esentials DVD to calibrate the sub via the Lexicon level adjustment.
    The problem I am running into is DVD's in 5.1 sound great but analog and 2.0 sources sound like they are lacking in bass (ex: the two different tracks in the Beastie Boys Anthology DVD; the 5.1 is very bass heavy and the 2.0 is lacking).
    Help. What am I doing wrong.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    Jefferson
    My Equipment List

2. Graeme Shiomi

Graeme Shiomi Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    Do you have your speakers set as "Small" or "Large". One thing I can think of is that if you have them set to "Large", when playing 5.1, the .1 will be sent to the sub, but when playing 2.0, nothing gets to the sub.
    Graeme

3. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

Jeff:
    I can offer a possible explanation for your Beastie Boys anthology problem. I know there was some discussion in the software forum around the time this thing was released that suggested that the bass in the 5.1 mixes was a little "over-cooked." I know that the bass on my setup is almost unbearable on some of those songs in 5.1 when played on normal Avia calibration levels. And, when I switch to the 2.0 tracks, bass drops off considerably.
    ------------------
    Christopher Cheadle
    Dayton, OH
    -------------------------
    "I gave my love a chicken that had no bone...MMMMM chicken."
    - Homer

4. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if this will apply to your situation, but I was having the exact same problem out of my Yamaha and my SVS. It turned out that I had to turn off the effects switch. This makes the audio information bypass the processor. I don't really understand why this worked, but it did. Hope this helps.------TJW

5. Jeff-

Jeff- Extra

So, I went back last night and checked my settings. I have my other 5 speakers set to small, so I don't think that is the problem.
    But in general CD's generally don't have the punch I think they should, which leads me to think I have my calibration wrong. On the other hand, when I play a DVD it usually sounds good in 5.1
    I'm stumped.
    ------------------
    Jefferson
    My Equipment List
    [Edited last by Jeff- on September 28, 2001 at 09:52 AM]

6. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

If you want to make sure your sub is slamming in the bass department you could try
    Wyclef Jean - Gone Till November
    L'Trimm - Cars With the Boom
    Various THX demos - Cimmaron is best
    Some Dance/Trance Music
    Aaron

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

check the woof level for the sound mode you're using.
    Most(all?) of the lex 2 channel sourcing includes a subwoofer leveler that is mode specific and ranges from -80dB(?) to +5dB.
    the lex's are like seventh seal... 90 minutes to hear...a lifetime to ponder/tweak.
    make damn sure you got the speaker calibration/distance setup...and be sure to turn the LOUDNESS OFF(it defaults to ON...?). then spend a few days playing with the *soundstage/custom* options. Try MM's dope show using the music surround...read the theory manuals too...
    TV

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

MAN!!!
    Just do what TV says... or else!
    But seriously, he is the techbrain behind SVS and it is really cool that he still offers his info, for free, for a Velo user...
    SVS rOcKs!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!