Having trouble calibrating color on Toshiba 26HF84

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark_Johnson, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Mark_Johnson

Mark_Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Mar 17, 2004
    I have been trying to figure out the service meny on my TV for days with not much progress. Initially I was trying to correct the harsh red saturation but the other color tones seem to be a bit off as well.

In experimenting with the service menu, I noticed a few color adjustments such as R/G drive and R. Gain. I was able to mostly take care of the red push by turning down 'R/G drive' but the colour still looks "wrong". I dont have any color filters so in order to check the color levels in Avia, I would need to turn off two guns at a time and adjust according to the color patterns (right?) The only problem is, every time you enter the service menu, the unit resets to "sports" mode and totally screws up the brightness and contrast. Makes it hard to eyeball the correct levels.

I was successfully able to shut off the red and blue by turning R/G drive and B/R drive down to zero but then the screen looks completely green. There doesnt seem to be dedicated controls for each color channel. I havent been able to find out what the two 'drive' functions truly do, and what the R,B and G gain controls are for.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about color adjustments or knows of a particularily good tutorial that would help. Getting it professionally calibrated is not an option. If I wanted to spend more money, I would have bought a nicer tv to start with.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Mar 16, 2000
    Michael Chen

Go to the Keohihdtv site and learn.

For starters ... cuts and drivers and gains have absolutely nothing to do with glowing reds. They are effectively for grayscale ... the black and white part of the TV. Color as an item is them overlayed on top of the grayscale.