What's new

Having some trouble, I'm going in for my first mamagram tomorrow. Wish me luck (1 Viewer)

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Okay, I was wondering how many other females here have had a mamagram? What can I expect? How bad does it hurt? I've been having pain in one of my breast and quite frankly I'm worried sick. I'm only 30 years old. My grandmother died from breast cancer. I've been having the pain for quite some time but was too afraid to mention it to my doctor or my family. I finally broke down and told my father of all people. He made me set a doctors appointment to be checked out. Doctor is sending me in for a mamagram and it's tomorrow. I'm worried sick. Any words of wisdom from any one who has gone through this type of fear? I would never have gone to the doctor had my father not "ordered" me to, because if I'm dying I don't want to know it. I know that sounds silly if there is a chance something can be done, but thats just how I am.
Also, I'm worried about the pain. One of my friends told me they press your breast in betwixt glass sheets or something like that. YIKES......

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Hey Eve,
No breasts here and thus no mamagram, but my wife says they aren't as bad as most women claim. Also, stop worrying. You'll do yourself more harm than good. Chances are there's nothing wrong with you.
Oh, and as for this highly female subject being posted on the HTF: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Way cool. I'm glad the male egos (my own included) haven't scared all of the women away yet.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Best of luck, Eve. My mum had breast cancer a few years back, so I can imagine the emotions you're going through. It won't be as painful as you're afraid of, and remember, statistically, it's likely to NOT be what you're afraid of and something minor instead.

You're doing the right thing to go get it checked out.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Eve,
You are doing the right thing by going to get checked out. Statistically you most likely will not have something but its better to get checked and find out. If you do have something finding it now vs later is always better.
My wife doesnt mind the machines at all because she can relax and isnt afraid but my mom hates these exams. Partially because she is always afraid something is going to be found and more because she hates that when the machine clamps down you cant get away(back away from the machine since it clamps down pretty firmly). Relax and know that you are doing the right thing.
Best of luck and I too have to say it is very cool that you posted this among HTF even though there are more men on this board. :emoji_thumbsup:
KyleS

Julie K

Screenwriter
Eve,
Check your PMs.

And guys,
just so you know, there are benign breast conditions that result in (1) painful breasts and cysts and (2) very painful mammograms. The pain is entirely bearable when compared to such torments such as endometriosis, but it's still not at all comfortable when you have such afflictions. I don't expect men, or women who are free of such conditions, to understand.

(Fibrocystic breast disease/and or/condition is a condition that inflicts some 50% of women at some point their lives. It is also an inherited condition that hits some of us at all points in our lives. The good part is that the condition is not malignant. The bad part is that the very dense breast tissue that characterizes the condition results in rather painful and uncomfortable mammograms. I say this as someone who is rather resistant to pain in general.)

Frederick

Second Unit
No comments on the mammagram, but I wish you luck with it. Let us know how it turns out ...

Freddy C.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Eve - best of luck. Keep in mind we are all with you..... well, we won't actually be in the room, that might be a bit much to ask and it would have to be a very, very large room, but I think you get the idea ;)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I don't expect men, or women who are free of such conditions, to understand.
I don't think such a generalization as this is entirely fair, Julie; give us a little credit.

(speaking as someone who knows a bit about pain).

Best of luck, Eve. Let us know how it goes.

Jon

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
My Mother has assured me that the technology has improved in the years since she first started getting checked. Apparently it was ALOT more uncomfortable when they first started with mamagrams.

Good Luck Eve, It's definitely the smart thing to do.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the kind words from all of you. Today was to be the day but I goofed the appointment is actually tomorrow at 1:45 PM. One more day of anxiety and it's over. Well, then I still have to worry about what the results might be.
Julie, I'm checking my pm's now.

Thank you all.

Eve

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Eve, my mom is another person that has to be goaded into tests by her doctor, so you aren't alone in that department. Best of luck.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Good luck, Eve. I'm sure everything will turn out fine. I do understand the fear, though, of having to go through all these "girlie" tests along with the poking and prodding. Hang in there ;)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
The pain is entirely bearable when compared to such torments such as endometriosis, but it's still not at all comfortable when you have such afflictions. I don't expect men, or women who are free of such conditions, to understand.
My fiancee has endometriosis. And it hurts me just as much as it does her, when I watch her double over in pain a few times every month. The obgyn says everything is otherwise okay. We're hoping we're able to have kids.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Update:

Yesterday I went for the test and yes, it did HURT.:b
I talked with my mother this week and found that she had a malignancy(sp?)removed before she was 40. (I was not aware of that)My mother and I aren't close...long story. But that kind of made me worry a bit more as my grandmother, and mother have had cancer in the breast.
Anyway, I went through a series of questions and found that with my family history I should be having these test once a year.
The lady who ran the test didn't tell me much, she took several pictures, had me dress, and gave me a few pamphlets to read. She said that I may be getting a call in 2 to three days after the x-rays had been read and that I may need to come back in for an ultrasound, MRI, or both. I was really nervous, but even though I don't have the results yet, I did in some odd way have a peace about me, knowing that I finally got this thing over with. I will also be getting a letter in the mail within 7 working days. She also told me that I could phone my doctor in a few days as the results would be sent to his office if I had any questions. Last but not least...she told me not to worry.
I suppose that is the correct thing to say, but as I was walking out there was a lady with a scarf on her head who's hair had fallen out. I couldn't help but feel pain for her and then a bit guilty for worrying so bad about myself. The lady sitting there looked at me and said: "Why do they always tell you not to worry?"
Good question, because this is going to be an anxious few days for me. Cross your fingers everyone.

Peace,
Eve

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I suppose that is the correct thing to say, but as I was walking out there was a lady with a scarf on her head who's hair had fallen out. I couldn't help but feel pain for her and then a bit guilty for worrying so bad about myself. The lady sitting there looked at me and said: "Why do they always tell you not to worry?"
:frowning:
We're still here for you Eve.
-Dean-

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yes, indeed,
best wishes Eve.....and i am another whose mother never got checked and died of breast cancer.
You are better off for having done it I know.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Eve,
I'm crossing my fingers and toes (yes, really toes!) for you. But don't feel guilty about your worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks