Having some speaker issues

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris_L_S, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Chris_L_S

Chris_L_S Auditioning

I've recently moved and just gotten my home theater back together. I've had to make some changes in my setup to take into account a different room size and wire placement. As it stands now, my rear surround wires and my subwoofer cable are considerably longer (+/- 25ft) than my fronts and center.

I have noticed that my subwoofer sounds a little "out of sync" sometimes, and I hear a slight delay in the general sound field. Should I make my fronts have around the same length of cable to balance things out, or do I need to make some other adjustments?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Probably nothing to do with the length but the phase settings. Does your sub have an adjustment for this?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Length of wire is not an audible factor in what you describe. The only time you would notice a difference would be if you used too small of a AWG of wire for the length of run, but it still would not show up as a delay.

Sounds like you need to play around with speaker placement and make sure all your speakers are connected correctly in phase (+ to + and - to - is consistent to all speakers)as Phil A mentioned.

4. Chris_L_S

Chris_L_S Auditioning

Ok, thank you... when I get home tonight, I'll double check all of my wires to make sure everything is in phase. My sub does have a phase switch, so I'll make sure it's set correctly as well.

5. Chris_L_S

Chris_L_S Auditioning

Ok, I have checked the connections on all of my speakers, and they are all phased correctly, along with the subwoofer. I also moved my subwoofer to a more strategic position (under the coffee table in the middle of the room) and that seemed to make all the difference. Of course, it could have been the source material I was watching at the time (The Ring Two.) I watched the DTS soundtrack of Aliens vs. Predator last night after moving the sub and was quite pleased with the result.