Having problems with my Panasonic RP56

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeHarley, Jan 29, 2002.

1. MikeHarley

MikeHarley Extra

The unit is new (last week). It operates perfectly, but makes a low-pitch hum while running (you can hear it across the room). On closer inspection, I found the unit is vibrating (as if the CD/DVD is out of balance). This happens with every CD/DVD that I try, so the shaft/motor must be loose. I don't think this is normal.

Eventually, this will prematurely wear the unit out. Oh yeah, the noise is driving me nuts too.

I went to return it to the store where it came from. They are SOLD OUT, and say that the unit has been replaced with a new model. Since they are not getting anymore in, I cannot exchange it either. Return or Credit only.

What is another good Progressive-scan unit that plays MP3's for

2. Stephen Teffner

Mike: a couple things. 1. did you try to put something on top of the DVD player to try and keep the chasis stable? Nothing real heavy, maybe a big book or something. 2. I haven't heard of them replacing it with a newer model. Wouldn't suprise me though. 3. You might want to try the JVC SA65, SA70, SA75, Toshiba 4700 (i think). Some of these even do DVD Audio. Good luck.

Stephen Teffner

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Also consider the Pioneer 440 & 444. They have better than average MP3 features if that is important to you...and Burr-Brown DAC's. I own the JVC 70BK and can recommend it with one caveat...JVC players run hot---so an extended warranty would be advisable.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

5. Stephen Teffner

Ron P; on a side note here. I just went to your web site (looks nice btw). I have one question. What kind of beer are you drinking? I see you holding a glass in your pictures and was just curious.

Stephen Teffner

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I got my RP56 at Sears in December, then left for 3 weeks. Upon return and my first DVD disc insert, a TERRIBLE vibration ensued while I was moving thru the Special Attractions/Scene Selection etc. extras menu. The unit's flimsy metal cover started shaking/vibrating. It seemed part of the internal transport mechanism hung-up and it started to shake the chassis and hence the unit cover.

Well, I attached some clear plastic table protector 3M pads to the VCR feet and put that unit on the DVDP. Previewed Gladiator a bit and everything is smooth for now...

Important: My anomaly was at out-of-the-box/fire-it-up stage, so I'll spot Panasonic that the unit has "settled in."

7. Paul Clarke

Hello Ron,

Sorry about the word games. I MEANT to say that discs that come out of any JVC player I've ever owned come out HOTTER than any other brand with which I have experience (Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Philips, etc.). I have owned the 501BK (Superb until it flat died after 1 1/2 years---LASER FAILURE---you know why? It played HOT.) I also have trialed the 65GD and currently own the 70BK. All of this is meant to say that JVC has had laser issues in the past. Has this kept me from buying JVC?---No. My system is largely JVC and my wife and I love the Compu-Link. But I always cover my butt after the 501 debacle. It's amazing to me it hasn't yet reached the Hall of Shame over on AudioReview.com. But there's still time!

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

9. Stephen Teffner

Ron: (in Homer Simpson voice) MMMMM..... Beer. Just reading that made me thirsty enough to go pour a homebrew. [​IMG]
    Steve T.

10. Atho

Atho Agent

So can anyone confirm wethere or not the RP-56 is going to be replaced with a newer model? Because I read in another post recently that there was a newer model, now hearing this.....
    Not good things to hear when you're going to purchase the player in 4 days, heheh. [​IMG]

11. Paul Clarke

Hello Atho,
    Here is a link to the CES webpage with a picture of the new Model RP82. It is a combination of the 91 high end features and the lower end pricing with a new slimline design for Panny. There is also a Model RP62 coming as well. If you search the CES page under A/V Sources you will likely find more details to these and other equipment...
    http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2...mage_010.shtml

12. Atho

Atho Agent

Thanks Paul, great site there, does anyone have an idea when the players will be hitting the shelves?

13. MikeHarley

MikeHarley Extra

This is strange, just like Bill reported above, my RP56 has decided to "calm down" too.

I watched "Das Boot" and the unit didn't vibrate at all...so I threw some other DVD's in (yes, after taking out Das Boot) and they didn't vibrate either.

Funny, maybe there is a break-in period. All other functions seem perfectly normal, and the 480p picture is great on my HDTV.

14. Doug_Bbn

Doug_Bbn Auditioning

I don't know about the RP56 being "sold out" or replaced with a new model just yet. Best Buys had shelves of them today. I was just looking at what they had and noticed an "open box" RP56 that had never even had the power cord taken out of the tie-wrap. $199 with all of Best Buys support (30 day return/exchange, manufacturer full warranty, etc.).

Before considering dumping the RP56, consider this... it is the ONLY DVD player in the US selling for less than $1200 with the Faroudja/Sage DCDi progressive scan chip. And this is the best progressive scan conversion you can get at any price - today at least. It is demonstrably better than any other progressive scan chip or software. Surprisingly, the RP56 is the ONLY Panasonic with this chip so far - even more expensive Panasonics have inferior progressive scan conversion. Kenwood was offering a free promo DVD through their web site that has some test patterns that show the superiority of the Faroudja/Sage DCDi chip - not sure if they are still offering it or not.

The RP56's most annoying deficiencies are:

- No coax digital out, Toslink never sounds as good as coax connections with a good cable, but running the Toslink signal into the Assemblage D2D-1 to clean up the signal and convert it to coax helps quite a bit... unfortunately, the D2D-1 costs $700 - not worth it only for home theater, but if you like high-end music too, it might be worth it.

- Progressive scan mode button on the front panel, not on the remote

- picture adjustments not available in progressive scan mode, only interlaced mode

Other than that, the anamorphic progressive scan picture quality from the circa $200 RP56 is BETTER than what I get from a massive $1800 high-end DVD player.

Why Panasonic doesn't make a big deal out of this player having the Faroudja/Sage DCDi chip, I'll never know. It gives this player a MASSIVE advantage in the low cost progressive scan arena. Just a year ago, Pioneer was selling a low cost "progressive scan" DVD player that didn't have any form of logic to improve images - it was worse than not even having progressive scan in a lot of cases. Now Panasonic sticks this chip in a $200 DVD player and all the other products using the chip are $1200-$5000+ and Panasonic makes no big deal out of it. Go figure.

15. MikeHarley

MikeHarley Extra

Doug,

Just knowing my RP56 has the "Faroudja/Sage DCDi progressive scan chip" makes me want to hang on to it. I wonder if Panasonic is replacing the unit with another without the chip to save money?

Thanks for the info.

- Mike