Having problems with my JVC 723 dvd player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Had this player for about 5 months and now it's locking up or playing only the first 30 min. of movies then becomes garbled on the screen and shuts off. I am wondering if anyone esle has had this problem. I've tried the reset features to no avail. Is this a problem with most JVC dvd players? Since it is out of warranty, how much would somethin glike this cost to fix? Would it just be worth it to buy another dvd player with DVD-A? I like this player.....when it does work however. [​IMG] Is it worth keeing this one?
    What are some good brands or models which are better for around $200....DVD-A included and progressive stand?

2. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    Even though I now primarily use a Panasonic RP-91, I also have, and use as a backup, the JVC XV-723.

I actually got the JVC first about a year and a half ago now. It was one of the first Progressive Scan/DVD-Audio players out at a then reasonable price.

I had a JVC XV-721 before I upgraded to progressive scan that had an audio/video sync problem while it was under warranty. I sent it off for repair and it was returned stating it was repaired but I then experienced an audio problem. From that day forward I’ve never had just one DVD player. I now have 2 and will always have two.

Anyway, that did not stop me from getting the 723 because of the 723’s price and features. I used it non-stop months after the warranty expired and before I got the RP-91. I’ve never encounter a problem: so far so good.

It would not hurt to inquire about the price of service. But you are correct: if that price it too much then buying another player would be a better idea. Now progressive scan DVD-Audio/Video players are even cheaper – even the 723. You may have just purchased a “lemon” player that was destined to fail in the short term. I know that “sucks” but it does happen in consumer electronics just like the automotive industry, etc.

Unfortunately I don’t have a quick and/or easy fix for your problem. Trying to figure repair costs now would be near impossible.

Start searching on-line for some $200 deals, there are bound to be some out there.

Good luck.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Kier,

Do you have the DVD player on top of the receiver, or inside a hot cabinet? Overheating the seems to be the cause of many DVD player casualties.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Hmmm...it's in a cabinet but it's not too hot. It's funny that when I turn it off for a bit and then turn it back on, it plays for a while then...pfft. Lockups, garbled video. stuttering, no audio..then it just turns itself off on it's own. Maybe it is getting hot after playing for a while. I'll experiment. thanks guys. Is the RP-91 that much better than the 723?

5. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Keir,

I have the same player and experienced the same problem one month after purchase. Luckily, it was still under warranty so I shipped it to JVC's service center here in California. The unit was kept for a week or two and then shipped back to me via UPS, and I haven't had a problem since, aside from a glitch here and there. I've been told that the bass management on the JVC is better than the RP-91 for DVD-A (neither of these units have DVD-A bass management). The progressive picture on the Panny may be slightly better but not leaps and bounds. The Panny has a feature to scale non-anamorphic discs, and the JVC has a zoom feature which many here used to scale non-enhanced discs before the RP-91 became available. I too am in the market for another back-up DVD-A player, and am leaning toward the forthcoming Panny RP-82 which will retail for 279.00. I really want to get the Denon 1600 (549.00 msrp), but I'm not sure that it will be worth twice the price of the RP-82, especially since it has no coaxial output.

Reg

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie said:

7. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    As I've posted above, I have both the Panasonic RP-91 and JVC XV-723. I personally consider the RP-91 superior and use it as my primary player and the XV-723 as a secondary. I agree with ReggieW about the picture quality. I had the XV-723 for many months before I got the RP-91. So, back then, when I saw the RP-91 was anounced and had the features I wanted, I though I would get it for an even better picture. However, what I really found out was just how good I had it with the XV-723. Even though the RP-91 is slightly better with most DVDs, the XV-723 is a VERY close second in my opinion.

I could be totally wrong on this but I believe the XV-723 can scale too. I have some non-anamorphic discs with the "16:9" (can't remember the dang name) flag that when they are played on my XV-723, they automatically fill the screen even though I have the XV-723 set to 16:9 Normal or the setting that shows 4:3 (non-anamorphic) material with black bars on the left and right automatically. Or the JVC sees the flags and is automatically and "behind the scenes"-like Zooming the picture. Anyway, I've had discs like that I played in the XV-723 that didn't say they were anamorphic so I had to put them in the RP-91 to make sure they were infact non-anamorphic (I keep my RP-91 in SHRINK mode all the time by choice).

As far as bass-management on the units, I'm currently only using the RP-91's because my receiver only has one set of Multi-Channel inputs. Like the XV-723 the "management" is simply setting the speakers you choose to either Small or Large and thats all. The RP-91's Dolby Digital/dts decoder sounds pretty dang good when set properly and with a good receiver. I had the XV-723 hooked up when I first got it and it sounded good to me too. Haven't been able to compare them "side-by-side" though.

One thing about the XV-723 is having to set the Display Mode for more discs than the RP-91. Mostly due to bad edit flags, the XV-723 will have to be told - my you - which mode to be in: VIDEO1; VIDEO2; FILM; AUTO; SMART, etc. while the RP-91 does better (most of the time) in Auto2.

The RP-91 is great with a firmware version of 236, 250 or higher. It's 4:3 output image is shifted slightly toward the right while the XV-723's is dead center. Search this forum and AVS for more information.

So far I've encountered no problems with either of these players and my DVDs but that is somewhat of a meaningless statement with all the variables we home theater folk have to deal with.

Get the XV-723 serviced and keep it if you can/choose to.