Having problems hooking up Kenwood VR-507

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mansure, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I must say I'm stumpted...

I had no problems what-so-ever hooking up my Kenwood VR-309 but I can't seem to properly connect my friend's VR-507.

The only real difference between the hookups being that my friend has a digital cable box from comcast(which I do not) and he has the 507 reciever instead of the 309.

I know this can't be all that hard to figure out but I just can't seem to put my finger on the problem.

I started off by connecting the DVD player into the

video 1 input, the digital cable box into video 2 and the vcr into video 3; the cd player is going into the cd/dvd input. All these connections are composite BTW.

I went to select different input sources on the 507 and no audio through the reciever and video did not change on the TV.

So what the heck am I doing wrong people?

Is ther something I have to setup on the digital cable box?

I appreciate any and all assistance.

Thanks,

Brian

2. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

You need to re-read the instruction manual to the VR507. It details how to hook up all of these devices. You have hooked them up wrong.

First of all you should be getting a digital audio signal from the DVD player. You will need to run a digital coax or optical cable to the digital input on the receiver. The composite inputs are for analog sources. Run the DVD Coax digital to the DVD 6 channel coax digital input. Select the DVD 6 channel input for DVDs.

For the VCR the analogs are fine. For the cable box you will need to use the optical digital out if it has one. Run it to the CD/DVD input on the recevier.

I am not addressing the video because the manual will do that for you. After you read the manual, I will help you from there.

3. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Often when I can't get an audio signal I check to make sure the "Tape Monitor" button has not been pressed. It's sometimes hit by accident and for the life of me I can't figure out why there's no sound. Then I look and see that little red "Tape Monitor" light on and turn it off.

4. Jason Wolters

Or check the A/B switch?

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

When you get it all strait be sure to let him know too that when he uses the cinama EQ to be sure and turn it off after he is done with it.If he does not do this it will cause problems when he uses it next.I still forget to at times. steve nn

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

what problems does leaving the CinemaEQ on cause? I leave it on all the time.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

When I watch a DVD and then finish and turn every thing off and then decide to watch some thing on VHS latter, I can only get stereo.The manual addresses this.If you don't switch back and forth no problem.I look forward to not having to do this.I have only had my DVD for a month now so not yet. steve nn

8. Jason Wolters

Cinema EQ makes sub matching via calibration impossible.

9. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up re-connecting every cable and component yesterday

and all is working now.