What's new

Having problem with playing CD with Blu ray player (1 Viewer)

Alex Low

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Hoping someone could help me out here :(

So whenever I play a CD with my Blu-ray player, the speaker seems to always skip the first couple of seconds of the opening track. Any idea what the problem could've been?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It might be your receiver, taking a moment to determine the signal type and changing its setting.

Does your blu-ray have a digital audio output in addition to HDMI? If so you could send that to a separate input on your receiver, and then set that input for "PCM" instead of "Auto." That would probably take care of the problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Alex Low

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Hey Wayne, thanks for replying! :)

Yes, my Blu-ray player has a digital output that enables a coaxial cable to plug in (first pic).

However, as you can see with my receiver (second picture), the coaxial cable port is labeled with "CD", and whenever I try to play the Blu-ray player in "CD" mode, it reverts back to "BD" (I'm guessing because of the HDMI cable). The player however, does work in "CD" mode when I remove the HDMI cable, but it still doesn't solve the skipping issue of the opening track. :(

Any idea where else can I plug in the coaxial port in my reciever?

22119670_1591048707613613_873966704_o.jpg
vsx-329-k_back.jpg
22119670_1591048707613613_873966704_o.jpg vsx-329-k_back.jpg

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Turn off all HDMI control settings on both the receiver and Blu-ray player. That should stop the receiver from over-riding the input setting.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Which “it” are you talking about, the receiver or blu ray player?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I think he's saying that when he plays a CD, the receiver senses an hdmi signal and automatically switches to the BD input. My guess is Todd is right. Turn off the CEC stuff, or whatever it's called. This is what happens when equipment is designed to try to read our minds.

Alex Low

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Turn off all HDMI control settings on both the receiver and Blu-ray player. That should stop the receiver from over-riding the input setting.

Hey John! Yeah it worked! :) However, the player still skips the first couple of seconds of the opening track despite using a coaxial cable in "CD" mode of the receiver. I've also set the player to "PCM". Could this be a receiver problem?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hey John! Yeah it worked! :) However, the player still skips the first couple of seconds of the opening track despite using a coaxial cable in "CD" mode of the receiver. I've also set the player to "PCM". Could this be a receiver problem?
I don't think changing the player to PCM will make a difference, except it will probably mess up playback of video soundtracks. It should be set to "bitstream".

I think someone already mentioned this, but if there is an audio input format setting for the CD input, if it's set to "Auto", set that to PCM. That should be what the original suggestion was meaning. Something is causing the receiver to delay figuring out what the signal is for CDs, which is PCM. So, if you can tell the receiver that the CD input is always PCM, it should fix the delay. The hdmi input for BluRay should usually be on "Auto" because that can be fed a variety of different audio formats.

And yes, it could be a problem with the receiver, or it might just be a bad design.

Alex Low

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
I don't think changing the player to PCM will make a difference, except it will probably mess up playback of video soundtracks. It should be set to "bitstream".

I think someone already mentioned this, but if there is an audio input format setting for the CD input, if it's set to "Auto", set that to PCM. That should be what the original suggestion was meaning. Something is causing the receiver to delay figuring out what the signal is for CDs, which is PCM. So, if you can tell the receiver that the CD input is always PCM, it should fix the delay. The hdmi input for BluRay should usually be on "Auto" because that can be fed a variety of different audio formats.

And yes, it could be a problem with the receiver, or it might just be a bad design.

Yeah, turns out my receiver doesn't have that function. :( Time to get a new one I suppose. Thanks for replying again John!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks